Compatibility Advice - Dwarf Rainbowfish / Ram

Author Topic: Compatibility Advice - Dwarf Rainbowfish / Ram  (Read 7176 times) 5 replies

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
Compatibility Advice - Dwarf Rainbowfish / Ram
« on: January 12, 2014, 05:41:02 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi all, I'm looking for a bit of advice in relation to Dwarf Rainbowfish as I've never kept these before.

I have a 180l tank which currently contains Cardinal Tetra's, Guppies, Platies, Mollies, Cory's, a Dwarf Gourami (male) & a BN Plec - all are getting along well.

I'm looking to add a few larger fish to my community (more of the Gourami size) that will swim around the top/middle of the tank and Dwarf Rainbowfish are my current preference. I'm probably looking at 4 in total; 1 male + 3 female, and wondered whether these were likely to fit in well with my existing community?

The fish profile on here looks favourable but I'd like to hear from anyone with experience of keeping this particular fish.

I'm also really like Rams and am considering adding one to the tank, but I'm a bit more wary of this - in particular how well it may get on with the Gourami and whether it could be aggressive with some of the smaller species (Guppies, Tetra's)?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Compatibility Advice - Dwarf Rainbowfish / Ram
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 07:34:11 PM »
You should be fine with the rainbowfish, they don't have a reputation for aggression.

As for rams, they are only aggressive when a pair are defending eggs and fry. The problem with rams is they need soft acid water in the high 20's, though if there have been no wild fish in their ancestry for several generations they are less demanding of their water. The problem is that you, the shop and even the wholesaler won't know how far back any wild fish are in any particular fish.
Do Bolivian rams appeal to you? They can tolerate a wider range of water conditions than rams (the blue/gold/electric blue/balloon varieties)

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 09:55:52 PM »
Thanks for the reply Sue.

Good news on the Rainbow's - I thought they'd be ok.

With regards to the Rams' - I haven't got a hardness test to be fair (probably should get one) but I know I am in a soft water area + my tank pH is on the acidic side. I don't have the temp in the high 20's though - around 24/25. I'd had really got my eye on a gold variety but the same store which has the gold's also has Bolivian's and they still look good - might have to consider one.

Are Ram's generally ok living solitary?

Offline Richard W

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 07:48:48 AM »
Bolivian rams are among the more gregarious cichlids and should be kept in groups. I suspect a single fish would be extremely timid. They do not need high temperatures.

If your pH is much below 7 it might not suit rainbowfish. Unless you can find mature specimens, they can be very difficult to sex so getting your proposed balance of males and females may not be easy.

At present I'm researching a large number of fish to stock several tanks and I'd strongly recommend you look at the serioslyfish site which has the most comprehensive information on most species. It's an invaluable resource. I've changed many of my planned combinations after reading these accounts.  I still plan on getting Bolivian Rams but will be getting a group of six, in a very quiet tank with only small tetras and corydoras, a "super peaceful" community ............. I hope!.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 08:46:47 AM »
I agree about bolivian rams. They can be kept in pairs if the tank is too small for a group, but rams of both species can be very picky when it comes to forming a mated pair and just getting a male and female does not mean they will like each other.

Re hardness, your water company's website should have that info, though it can be a bit tricky to find on some.

Just how acid is your water - the tank water that is, not your tap water? Dwarf rainbows are OK down to 6.8, though rainbows as a group do tend to prefer alkaline water.

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 06:56:04 PM »
Hi Sue/Richard, my tank water is at 6.8 but comes out of the tap at around 7/7.2 so sounds like it's probably at the lower limit of their range. Thanks for the heads-up on the water co website - based on their data it looks like our water is harder than I was previously led to believe, although it seems better for the Rainbowfish as a result.

I've been using the community creator on this site and do have more than enough capacity for a group of Ram's but having looked at the Seriously Fish website I'm not sure that my tank environment is ideal for them so will probably go with just the Rainbowfish as they seem better suited.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Compatibility Advice - Dwarf Rainbowfish / Ram"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
2 Replies
Last post July 04, 2013, 08:08:08 AM
by Sue
0 Replies
Last post March 11, 2015, 03:10:46 PM
by Fiona
1 Replies
Last post May 06, 2015, 12:07:22 PM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post August 21, 2015, 05:05:52 PM
by KieranWD
1 Replies
Last post October 26, 2017, 08:32:00 PM
by Sue
9 Replies
Last post November 18, 2018, 11:03:30 PM
by Matt
26 Replies
Last post July 04, 2020, 05:38:01 PM
by Beckins

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: