Clown Loaches

Author Topic: clown loaches  (Read 5058 times) 9 replies

Offline Jwc

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
clown loaches
« on: September 29, 2014, 06:32:40 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
i would like to keep some clown loaches at some point, at the moment my tank is nearly cycled so im just going through what i want long term. To start with i will get some tetras etc to get me going as its my first tank then as i get some experience will introduce some nice fish. My question is.. is my tank suitable for a few clown loach? its a juwel rio 125 so is it a bit to small for them? id rather have a decent amount of varieties than just 3-4 of the same one because of the size if that makes sense.

cheers

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
Re: clown loaches
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 06:41:36 PM »
Hi JWC, unfortunately they'll get too large for your tank. I've been fancying some clown loaches myself but my 180 litre is still too small for them.

Your Rio 125 is presumably 125 litres, but the dimensions of the tank can be just as important as it's water capacity - the fish profiles on here state a minimum tank length of 120cm whilst Seriously Fish says 180cm!

I've used a similar principle of a variety of different fish, rather than 2 or 3 feature fish and the largest I have is a Dwarf Gourami.

Hope this helps.

Offline Jwc

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 06:47:13 PM »
ok thanks that helps. i had a feeling i wouldnt be able to. think probably means i will be getting a bigger tank in a few years!! Reason for the clown loaches is the little ones were after something that looks like nemo (i know, i know, that must be the 4 billionth time is been said on here!!) Those gouramis look very nice though.

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 07:25:20 PM »
They are really nice but can be somewhat high maintenance - you can generally only have 1 male (the females aren't as colourful) and they are prone to a particular disease (this fish keeping business is never straight forward!).

I think clown loaches probably are the closest freshwater equivalent to the marine clownfish (unless someone can think of alternative?) - were you considering the clown loach purely for the 'nemo' aspect or are you aiming for bright colours generally?

Cichlids are generally considered the closest group of freshwater fish in terms of overall colour to marine fish but unfortunately they generally aren't ideal as first fish as they can be quite demanding! Otherwise, livebearers come in a huge range of colours and patterns but they are fairly weak genetically as a result of the intensive breeding practices used to get their colours.

Don't let me put you off though - a good community of tropical fish can look stunning and be relatively low maintenance at the same time.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 07:53:08 PM »
That film has caused a lot of problems for parents  :)

Is the five band barb sufficiently nemo-ish? I'd go for those over the more aggressive tiger barbs. They will also fit in a rio 125 (which is 82cm long, I used to have one), needing a tank of 80cm.

Offline Jwc

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 07:58:03 PM »
The nemo effect was kind of wanted but I don't think it's going to cause a problem if it doesn't come off. The 5 band barb does look very nice though and definatly one I will concider seriously.

I think looking forward if they do want some proper ones then I should do it properly in another tank with the real salt water ones once I've got myself comfortable with a freshwater tank.

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 08:13:37 PM »
I think looking forward if they do want some proper ones then I should do it properly in another tank with the real salt water ones once I've got myself comfortable with a freshwater tank.

Sounds like a wise approach. I'd like a marine tank in the future as well but even when I do get around to it, it will probably be in addition to my tropical tank, rather than instead of.

Offline Jwc

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 08:44:04 PM »
Same for me. No way I will change the tropical tank now. I'm looking forward to having it fully up and running.

Offline Puffin

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 08:08:07 AM »
My preferred fish shop (pfs as opposed to my lfs) has a HUGE display tank with clown loaches in, which really demonstrates how big they CAN get. I'd say the tank is approx 8' x8' and 5' high. It has a large Buddha in there and some rocks but is quite bare. Other fish are puffers, and some kind of flat fish. I initially thought it was a marine tank.
If I remember rightly he clown loach are about 8" long, could be bigger. (Although that could be the effect of the water)

Offline ColinB

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 10:19:16 AM »

Sounds like a wise approach. I'd like a marine tank in the future as well but even when I do get around to it, it will probably be in addition to my tropical tank, rather than instead of.
Same for me. No way I will change the tropical tank now. I'm looking forward to having it fully up and running.

Me too! I've just spent an enjoyable half hour reading a blog of how somebody set up a marine tank. It's called Michelle's marine diary and it's on this page. Grab a coffee.......

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "clown loaches"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
2 Replies
Last post March 11, 2013, 07:18:49 PM
by stephen75
21 Replies
Last post August 22, 2013, 11:15:26 AM
by Resa
2 Replies
Last post November 14, 2013, 12:23:05 PM
by polkadotpuffer
6 Replies
Last post October 01, 2014, 04:47:12 PM
by helenbac
2 Replies
Last post November 04, 2015, 07:08:11 PM
by Fiona
12 Replies
Last post February 26, 2016, 08:24:52 PM
by Fiona
3 Replies
Last post May 15, 2017, 07:09:23 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: