Buying Fish

Author Topic: Buying fish  (Read 41386 times) 19 replies

Offline SteveS

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • With apologies to M.C.Escher
Buying fish
« on: March 19, 2013, 07:45:13 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
After my (mis)adventures in Mill Hill the other day (see this) I have an opportunity to visit another not-so-local lfs tomorrow.  I would like to buy some fish but I will have to get them in the morning and I won't be home until the evening so they will have to stay in the bag all day.  Would this be OK?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

TigzFish

Re: Buying fish
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 08:01:42 PM »
I have always been under the impression that a journey of 2 hours in a bag is the max.  Anything longer would be better in a tank.  I wouldn't like to try an all day, even in a tank.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 07:36:26 AM »
Could you wait until the weekend?

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 08:33:38 AM »
So long as you can keep them warm, it is do-able as long as the fish are bagged differently. After all, fish spend over 24 hours in the post. Before buying the fish ask if the shop can pack them for a long journey - explain it will be a long time before you can get them in the tank. The bag will need at least 2/3 air, and some 'ammonia remover' added to the bag. If the shop has oxygen to pump into the bag just before tying, that is also a good idea. The most difficult part will be keeping them warm enough, I'd be happier doing this on a warm day.

But as the others have said, it would be better if you could manage an alternative.

Offline SteveS

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 11:10:49 PM »
Could you wait until the weekend?

You are joking right?  One of the advantages about being a pensioner is that I can go whenever I please.

Following the generally negative views on my plan, I decided to skip it and go to Crews Hill tomorrow.  Loads of fish shops within walking distance of the railway station!

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -

Offline ColinB

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 07:38:47 AM »
One of the advantages about being a pensioner is that I can go whenever I please.

Sorry Steve - I didn't realise  :-[.

In that case..... don't go at the weekend - it'll be full of screaming kids  :)

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline chrisp

• Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 09:33:20 PM »
when i finally get to buying fish, online will be the only option for me. il be looking to get at least 75% of my tank with 1 order. (its £15shipping for live stock orders and orders over £100 will be free shipping). so i dont wont to do small orders, its best for me to buy in bulk. my order will consist of 51 fish 4shrimp and 6 plants. im a bit worried as to someone showing up with 51 fish lol and when im inroducing them to my tank i dont really wont them waiting around in bags to long.

is this a bad idea introducing 51 fish to a new tank all at once? its really my only option

Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Panda Cory (5) - Neon Tetra (10) - Platy (10) - Japonica Shrimp (4) -

TigzFish

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 09:59:39 PM »
is this a bad idea introducing 51 fish to a new tank all at once?

Yes, this would be bad.  Even a properly cycled home aquarium should never see this kind of introduction.  You need to reconsider the quantities otherwise you'll be putting the stock at risk, causing you to spend more money as a result to replace dead fish.  Some may survive, but I don't believe it would be very pretty doing this.

its really my only option

What about public transport, a taxi or even a friend with a car to assist you getting to and from a local fish stockist? I assume you don't drive.

Offline chrisp

• Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 10:20:14 PM »
no, got my driving test week today funnily enough, very confident. so maybe by the time my cycle has finished il drive down to nearest pet store using someone elses car ;).

wouldnt like to cart them around on public transport and i prob could ask a friend but i dont think they would do as much trips as i wanted to do and a taxi would cost a bomb

well im glad u said its a big risk because thats what i prob would have done

Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Panda Cory (5) - Neon Tetra (10) - Platy (10) - Japonica Shrimp (4) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 08:27:15 AM »
I agree. That's a lot of fish at one go. In fact it's a lot of fish to put in a 150 litre tank (I think that's what you said yours is?) unless they are all tiny. I have a 125 litre with 26 fish and 3 shrimps, most of those fish are small (male endlers and green neons, 10 and 8 respectively). The biggest fish is a male cockatoo cichlid.

What is your stocking plan for the tank?

Offline chrisp

• Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 08:35:01 AM »
10 Rasbora harlequins
10 neon tetras
5 panda cory
5 male guppies
10 female guppies
10 platy
Few shrimp

Something like this

It comes to 72% in the CC. They all small fish

What u think? Any suggestions?

Offline Sue

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2013, 09:09:47 AM »
I like the fact you want bigger shoals of neons and harlies. While 6 is the absolute minimum, the more there are the more naturally they behave. But leave the neons a while. They have a tendancy to just die for no apparent reason in tanks that have been running less than 6 months.

Panda cories - they would be better with a couple more. Pandas are one of the more delicate cories, so it would be worth leaving these till the tank has been running a while after the filter has cycled.

Livebearers (guppies and platies) - don't forget you'll need a 2:1 female:male ratio of platies as well. With 10 female guppies and 6ish female platies, there will be a lot of fry. These fish alone will overpopulate your tank in no time flat. Even if you intend getting only male platies, they will harrass the female guppies with no females of their own species. And if you got these mail order, I would check with the company that they will sell males and females in the numbers of your choice - and that they can tell the diffference. You'd be surprised how many workers in real shops can't.
If it was me, I would reconsider having so many livebearers. Maybe just one species rather than two. I'd go with platies simply because of how weak guppies can be these days. The trouble is that guppies are just so pretty  ;D
I would also think seriously about getting guppies/platies by mail order. There are so many varieties that you would be more satified chosing the individual fish yourself rather than rely on what the company sends you.

So for my tastes and practical considerations (ie fry) I would get either guppies or platies, 6 females 3 males. Given that a mature guppy can have 30 fry every month and platies even more...........
And that would leave you room for 10 of something else. Or a centrepiece fish.

If you were to use mail order, it would be OK to get the harlies, livebearers and if you go that route, the shoal of something else/centrepiece fish. Wait till the tank has been running a few months before getting the neons and panda cories as they do better in mature tanks.

Definitions
A cycled tank is one that has grown its two colonies of bacteria to deal with the ammonia produced by the fish.
A mature tank is one that has grown these bacteria plus the biofilm together with all the other micro-organisms that live in an aquarium which help to stabilise the water parameters, usually defined as a tank that has been running for 6 months after the filter has cycled.

Offline chrisp

• Fishy Member
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2013, 10:12:16 AM »
Yeah I will Leave neons and panda's alone till matured. Rather they'd last

And il prob give ordering fish online a miss if I can. Only use it for fish I can't get. Like you said, it be much better to see the fish up close before I buy them. I WILL be driving soon so that's what I'll do.

Most prob now start with

platies
Harlequins
Shrimp

Future : 10 maybe 20 neons & 100% getting panda corys

I've just purchased a 250ml bottle of 'aqua safe start' aswell. Hope this helps a little. I know there mixed opinions but if it says it speeds it up I'm willing to try it.

Sue, apart from the fish it's in with, I know the cc is a guide line, is my tank really to small for 'red tailed black shark'? My tank is 100cm and it requires 120cm (I know it's not compatible with a community tank)
Would tha be really that bad tho? I would like 1 in the future when I get a bit of experience

Offline Sue

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2013, 10:25:48 AM »
The main problem with these sharks is their temperament. They can and do attack other fish. From your comment, you already know you can only have 1 per tank.
There are a couple of members of the Epalzeorhynchos genus sold as sharks - frenatum (rainbow, ruby etc) and bicolor (rtbs). Bicolor is the worse of the two for behaviour, ie the red tailed black shark. Frenatus (rainow/ruby) is a bit 'nicer' to tankmates but not much.
Even the flying fox, Epalzeorhynchos kalopterus, can be a bit nasty.

It's for behavioural reasons not tank size that I wouldn't have one!

Offline brecon

• Fishy Member
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2013, 11:02:02 AM »
Hi, watch the days that the lfs get new stock, try not to go on the same or the day after. Fish will either not be for sale or still stressed from their transport journey and another transfer may push them over the edge. Any quality shop will tell you their stocking days so you can make your trip more successful. Forget the weekends if possible which I see you can, as Colin said loads of screaming kids and irate parents, but it is good for them to take an interest. Ask some questions that you already know the answers, I know this sounds stupid but it can tell you how good the staff are and their knowledge. The good shops do quarantine their fish for a few days and sort any that are not healthy. Good luck

Offline Resa

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2013, 11:23:25 AM »
What clever people we have on this forum....brilliant advice!

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline SteveS

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2013, 09:15:12 PM »
I never made thursday, but yesterday, I went up to Crews Hill and spent the afternoon wandering around 4 shops.  By the time I had wandered in and out of 4 tropical fish rooms and then out into the bitter winter, I was like a piece of wet lettuce and didn't feel up to exploring the other shops!

I came away with a few hardware bits and bobs and 10 harlies and 8 peppered cories.  They have mostly settled in well and are busy hurling themselves into the filter outlet and generally whizzing around.  However, 1 of the cories seems to be confused and is swimming around with with the shoal of harlies!  Must be an identity crisis.

Offline Resa

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2013, 09:36:00 PM »
What a wonderful way to spend an afternoon!  I only managed two shops yesterday as I was a bit late leaving, but fortunately I was able to do it in glorious sunshine....finally!
I'm really envious of you having some cories...I think they are really cute little characters and I can't wait to get mine :)
Can you post some piccies of them soon, please?

Resa
   :)

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline SteveS

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2013, 10:14:22 PM »
Can you post some piccies of them soon, please?

I may have a stab but... the only digital camera I have is the crappy one in my phone.  So, I don't hold out much hope as it's an old phone.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2013, 11:58:48 AM »
Nice one, Steve. I too am looking forward to hearing how they settle in and, hopefully, some piccies.

I keep changing my ideas about my next tank..... but the one constant is cory cats.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Buying fish"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post September 07, 2013, 04:08:17 PM
by Resa
11 Replies
Last post September 18, 2014, 01:18:29 AM
by AndreaC
2 Replies
Last post June 18, 2015, 05:40:41 PM
by AdyDnt
8 Replies
Last post March 10, 2016, 02:34:55 PM
by Littlefish
7 Replies
Last post August 05, 2017, 09:10:42 PM
by mizuti
7 Replies
Last post April 21, 2019, 12:49:58 PM
by Kwhite
0 Replies
Last post June 25, 2019, 12:16:24 PM
by Robert

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: