Author Topic: Breeding Cory Cats  (Read 4517 times) 15 replies

Offline Rustle

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Breeding Cory Cats
« on: November 23, 2017, 08:48:45 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I am having a go at breeding some corys after one of my females left her eggs all over the tank on tuesday. I have taken a few pictures of some eggs. We only had 6 that were ok as the rest were white or not even rounded.

I only decided to do this as it looks like we have the right conditions in the tank as this happens quite often along with my assassin's who have had three baby ones aswell & now my rasboras are flipping upside rubbing against the amazon swords, anyway wht i would like some advice on are these eggs as i wondered if they look fertile, they are not white but a grey brown colourish.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Cherry Barb (6) - Neon Tetra (7) - Harlequin Rasbora (11) - Honey Gourami (2) - Guppy (male) (3) - Otocinclus (5) - Japonica Shrimp (8) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Breeding Cory Cats
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 09:15:04 AM »
It's white opaque that are the infertile eggs, and if they go fuzzy they are fungussed. Viable eggs do have a bit of a colour, with some fish having more highly coloured eggs than others.

If they do hatch you'll need to be able to feed the babies. When there are live plants in the tank - or even plastic ones covered in algae - these do grow micro-organisms on them which newly hatched fry will eat, but just in case it is better to have some food ready. I have never grown it myself, but infusoria is the best food for newly hatched fry and you'll find out how to culture this by googling it. For older but still tiny fry microworms are ideal. A starter culture and a box of instant porridge is all you need for those. You'll find people selling starter cultures on Ebat.

Offline Rustle

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 09:39:21 AM »
Thanks sue i think i will culture some' but i have brought liquid fry just incase. I have the eggs in a hatchery net in the main tank at the moment next to the airstone but i think i may have to set up my other smaller tank to put them in until they get a bit bigger or could they stay in the hatchery net for a while as i only have 5.

Chances are they wont hatch tho.

Cherry Barb (6) - Neon Tetra (7) - Harlequin Rasbora (11) - Honey Gourami (2) - Guppy (male) (3) - Otocinclus (5) - Japonica Shrimp (8) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 10:07:23 AM »
With liquifry, if you put it straight in the tank it'll fall to the bottom as one big drop. The easiest way to use it is to put the drop in a tiny amount of tank water, stir, then use a pipette to place the mixture right in front of the fry.

I never had much success with pygmy cory eggs in a net, because I had honey gouramis in the same tank which sucked the eggs through the mesh  >:(
The best way to raise fry would be in a separate tank with lots of live plants.

Offline apache6467

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Catfish Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 04:37:13 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
I have about 3 pygmy corydoras eggs dotted around my shrimp tank and they are all orange! Only had em 2 weeks  and they are off like rabbits  :rotfl:

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 09:48:39 PM »
@apache6467

I dont want to bring the tone down here as I'm really happy your having such success with your fish.  Fish can 'flash' against objects though if the water contains any toxins (such as ammonia) or if they are subject to external parasites.

I'm not saying this is the case necessarily as it sound like breeding behaviour from your rasboras from what you've described, but its worth knowing 'just in case'. 

Are the Rasboras Harlequins? Harlequins will also display to each other when breeding by sticking out their fins and swimming next to each other... often with a wiggle as they do.  I dont know why but I call it "sharking" it's probably an awful description but there you go!

Offline apache6467

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Catfish Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2017, 07:07:49 AM »
@Matt I think you meant to tag someone else as I don't keep rasbora

Offline Rustle

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2017, 09:15:15 AM »
@ Matt i think that was mean't for me. I think they are trying to mate as they are swimming close together and doing that wiggling fins together side by side.

No toxins in the water & i think they are all in good health at the moment, but that was a good tip and something else i now know for future.

Good luck with the eggs hatching apache  :)

Offline apache6467

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Catfish Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2017, 11:00:06 AM »
well ive just woke up to a fairly large pygmy cory fry

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2017, 11:08:06 AM »
Congratulations  :cheers:

How large? Pygmy cory fry are tiny when they first hatch so if yours is large it may have been in hiding a while.
When they first hatch, pygmy cory fry have stripes going across the body. Then they suddenly change almost overnight to stripes going from nose to tail like adult pygmies. Which way do the stripes on your newly found fry go?

A few years ago I had no idea my cories had bred and when I did a water change I saw all these tiny little things scuttling over the sand. They looked just like bugs so I hoovered them up. Before I threw the water away, I scooped some of them out of the bucket and through a sieve, and it was only when I looked at them through a magnifying glass that I realised what they were. I'd killed about 20 cory fry  :'(
From then on I was very careful during water changes, and I spotted a few large fry looking the same as miniature adults over the next year or so.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2017, 02:41:35 PM »
Great news. Congratulations  :cheers:

Offline Rustle

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2017, 06:20:00 PM »
 Congratulations on your fry apache  :)  :fishy1:

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2017, 09:41:26 PM »
It must have recently been "that time" for cories.  ::)
I was emptying out my plant storage tank this evening and found a young panda cory fry. There must have been eggs caught on some of the plants I removed from that tank a while back. I can't imagine how the little fella survived in the unheated plant tank.  :o
I've just acclimatised him to the correct tank and put him in with the rest of the gang.  :)

Offline Rustle

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2017, 07:55:15 AM »
That was a nice surprise for you congratulations  :)

Offline Rustle

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2017, 08:37:54 AM »
Disaster struck yesterday & we lost a premature cory along with the eggs  :( I noticed a tear in the hatching mesh net, so had to go buy another larger one quick & tried to keep the old one in the water while slipping the new one over it to double up in the water to which the eggs rolled about & one must have broken open and out came a cory

I am sure it was premature as it did not look like the ones i have seen in the online videos which had big heads and long tail, this one was long and thin.

I wonder if anyone could confirm if this was premature by looking at the photo.

Offline apache6467

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Catfish Enthusiast
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2017, 09:14:35 AM »
Oh no! Hope the fry survives as I'm not sure what a premature fry looks like as mine are all tiny wrigglers apart from one large one. Las I saw it has spots

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Breeding Cory Cats"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post September 23, 2013, 07:59:20 AM
by ColinB
6 Replies
Last post October 19, 2013, 09:56:50 PM
by Cinders
15 Replies
Last post December 17, 2015, 01:18:52 PM
by AdyDnt
6 Replies
Last post August 21, 2016, 08:07:14 PM
by Fiona
3 Replies
Last post November 13, 2016, 05:51:38 PM
by Pixiecatjo
17 Replies
Last post April 22, 2017, 05:34:39 PM
by fcmf
3 Replies
Last post October 09, 2017, 06:45:10 AM
by mizuti

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: