Calcuim Blocks

Author Topic: calcuim blocks  (Read 4004 times) 6 replies

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • were going to need a bigger tank
calcuim blocks
« on: May 08, 2014, 02:15:04 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I have seen these calcuim blocks for sale in lfs and on ebay, just curious if anyone uses them and if so what are the benefits to useing them

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: calcuim blocks
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 07:05:23 PM »
What exactly do you mean by calcium blocks, the things that add calcium to the water for shrimps and snails or the ones that contain fish food for use when on holiday?

If it's the first, you only need them if you have very soft acidic water as this can cause snail shells to erode. My snails don't have a problem with GH 6, and that is high enough for shrimps too. Cuttle bone as sold for budgies etc can be used for adding calcium if snails need it.

The holiday blocks are not a good idea. They can dump a load of fish food into the tank at once causing ammonia/nitrite problems. And there are tales of people coming home from holiday to find everything covered with a layer of white goo, and sick fish.

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 07:39:43 PM »
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/45-Calcium-Nano-Blocks-added-Food-for50lt-tanks-Apple-Snail-Shrimp-Turtle-Crab-/390835487617?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item5aff9c4381
my lfs was trying to say i needed them the other day but he seemed a bit instant and i decided not to get them as seemed he was just trying to get rid of them my gh is also about 6 , i dont like the hoilday blocks but i have someone who can feed for me if i was away anyway

Offline ColinB

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 08:46:27 AM »
I'd give those a miss. Yuk!

My fish live quite happily for two weeks without any food while I'm on holiday. That's a far better idea than a friend who may overfeed them. Having no food keeps the waste down too.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 09:57:09 AM »
yes i wasnt to keen on them but the lfs keeper kept trying to say i must have in tank for shrimp but seemed more he wanted to sell some

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 10:39:31 AM »
I've not used any of those blocks and Natalia who helped my with the shrimp debacle reckoned GH 6 was fine.

On the subject of someone feeding while on hols, I use a 7 day pill holder and put a day's worth of food in each section. My son has to almost pass our front door to get to work, so when he remembers, he calls in and just drops a section into the tank.
The real danger is the friend who thinks you've been a bit mean with the amount of food and adds more (son knows not to do that!) - in this case hide the food tubs so they can't.

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 10:45:04 AM »
well no hoilday planned at the moment so no worries there and my shrimp seem to be really healthy and good at the moment so i think best left well alone on them at the moment. :fishy1:

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "calcuim blocks"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post February 03, 2014, 08:05:30 AM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: