Author Topic: Best test kit?  (Read 6852 times) 10 replies

Offline Loubaa

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Best test kit?
« on: August 19, 2014, 08:59:40 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi all!

Just wondering which test kits you all favour? I have bought AquaOne liquid tests recently and always get a 0 for nitrate and nitrite so I was a bit  ??? hmmmm... I have made my son shake the nitrate solution until his arm aches, but the grey powder doesn't seem to dissolve completely.
Also the ph reading is higher than the reading they give me at the LFS.

Thanks!

Offline Diz1

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Re: Best test kit?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 09:56:58 AM »
I use API. It does seem to register a true reading and you get a lot of tests for about £20 on Amazon :)

Offline ColinB

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 10:40:49 AM »
Another vote for API.

What I do is order the Nitrate tester separately as that's the one that I use most now my tank is old and established, plus it's 10 drops so gets used up more quickly than the others.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • were going to need a bigger tank
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 11:11:42 AM »
api liquid test for me to , amazon and ebay seem to give the best price for it anything up to around 10 to 15 pounds cheeper than i seen in some lfs :)

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 03:31:49 PM »
I also use API, but as with most liquid testers the nitrate test is only approximate. pH, ammonia and nitrite are good enough for our purposes, and nitrate is best used to follow a trend rather than an absolute measure eg is it going up during a cycle; how much does it go up from an hour after a water change till just before the next one (a guide to if you are over or under stocked)

If you want the best on the home testing market, Salifert are the ones to get. These don't come in a set, you have to buy them separately; and although they cost about the same as other makes to buy they do less tests per pack so are more expensive per test.

Offline Loubaa

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 07:14:40 PM »
And the winner is... API! Hooray!  ;D I'll carry on with these until I run out and then swap.
Thanks for your views.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 10:13:22 PM »
This is quite an old post. I wondered if anyone has different suggestions to the same question?

I have a Seneye that measures Ammonia, pH and temperature far more accurately than my traditional thermometer and liquid test I previously had. I'm looking for tests for hardness and nitrate (and perhaps the other main plant nutrients) to complement the Seneye.

I got a box of Easylife 6 in 1 test strips, but am not finding them great. The nitrate result is either 0 or 20, with nothing in between. And the test tabs don't colour evenly, so I'm not even sure what reading I have got.

Offline Sue

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 09:12:11 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
The best nitrate tester is reputed to be Salifert. But nitrate is very hard to test with a kit of any type. It needs very expensive lab equipment to get really accurate - and by expensive I mean many thousand pounds.

Most liquid nitrite testers are fine.

You can buy liquid GH and KH testers. API make one. They work differently from ammonia, nitrite etc, being titration tests*. With soft water, it is better to view the colour by removing the lid, placing the tube on something white and looking down into the tube. When I had API GH & KH my water company had a table of hardness and pH for every place in its area, and the test kits gave the same result as the mean for my town on the table.

* Helen will know what I mean by titration but for readers who don't:
Most of our testers work by adding drops to a tube of water, waiting 5 minutes and comparing the colour to a chart. With titration testers, you add 1 drop, and shake. Then add another drop and shake. You keep adding drops, one at a time and counting the drops, until the liquid changes colour. The harder the water, the more drops it takes. With soft water it takes only a few drops to change the colour and because only a few drops have been added, the colours are very pale so looking down through several cm of liquid intensifies the colour rather than looking sideways through just 1 cm liquid.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2017, 06:22:34 PM »
I’ve used a variety of test kits over the years.

For nitrate and nitrite, I struggle to read the liquid-based test kit results, irrespective of brand; I’m currently using Waterlife but plan to try JBL next time as I find their products very easy to use. I always cross-check nitrate and nitrite liquid-based tests with test strips (either Tetra or JBL) as I find them much easier to read.

For ammonia/ammonium, I use JBL which I’m happy with – and it’s possible to buy refills rather than an entire new kit. I also bought API ammonia strips but find the liquid-based JBL kit easier to read.

For GH and KH, I currently use Tetra and API respectively, although any of the brands I’ve tried before have been fine / easy to use and decipher. A useful tip, which I picked up from Sue, if your reading is borderline/difficult to decipher, is to test 10ml rather than 5ml, then half the overall number of drops required. For example, for my low KH, I find that 3 drops are usually required in the 10ml to produce the colour change, equating to 1.5 drops for 5ml and therefore a KH of 1.5. I find that the test strips (both the aforementioned brands) give an inflated GH reading while the KH reading is difficult to decipher but seems to be inflated too, in comparison with what I would expect from my water company details.

For PH, I currently use JBL. I tend to find any of the liquid-based kits err slightly on the inflated side, while the test strips err on the lower side of what I might expect from my water company details.

The test strips have the added advantage of a chlorine test on them.

Hope that’s helpful.
:fishy1:

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2017, 10:19:38 PM »
Thank you for your suggestions.

My Seneye measures Ammonia and pH. I've decided to go for the salifert nitrate test and the API combined GH and Kh kit.

The nitrate will help me establish my plants nitrate consumption, but also the correct stocking level for my tank.

As my tank is already established, will I need to monitor nitrites in addition to ammonia and nitrates?

Offline Sue

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2017, 09:01:50 AM »
Testing nitrite can be useful if for some reason the tank goes through a mini cycle. With a heavily planted this would only occur if there is a massive plant die off. In a non-planted tank, this could happen whenever new fish are added; over cleaning of a young filter; changing the filter media; changing the substrate etc but with lots of plants they'll use all the ammonia made by the fish so there will not be any nitrite made.
And strips should be good enough - with nitrite all you need to know is zero or not zero.

(Of course, a nitrite tester is necessary when cycling by either method. The tank in question has been cycled)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Best test kit?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post September 07, 2013, 06:43:04 PM
by Naomi12345
9 Replies
Last post May 21, 2015, 11:24:33 AM
by Sue
67 Replies
Last post October 02, 2015, 10:04:32 AM
by Extreme_One
5 Replies
Last post November 06, 2015, 02:24:41 PM
by Sue
19 Replies
Last post March 18, 2016, 09:47:08 PM
by Extreme_One
3 Replies
Last post March 17, 2016, 08:33:01 PM
by fcmf
10 Replies
Last post January 13, 2017, 07:26:29 PM
by Andys101

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: