Bacterial Bloom

Author Topic: Bacterial bloom  (Read 7063 times) 21 replies

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
Bacterial bloom
« on: November 19, 2014, 02:28:34 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I have what i believe is a bacterial bloom in Stanley's tank.  I noticed it on sunday, when we moved his tank from the kitchen to the living room.

Because we were moving the tank anyway, i siphoned out the worst of the white stuff (like cobwebs) and only about 7 litres of water. Then i refilled the tank with treated tank water etc.

The next day it was worse and the tank looked like it had fog in it and when you looked closely you could see layers of fine white stuff, again like cobwebs.

I read the other threads on here and some other sites and got the general impression that it would run its own course when it had run out of food and disappear. Well it hasn't improved, in fact it's probably worse still.

Stan seems fine. My sulawesi snail keeps climbing out of the tank ( don't know if this is related as they do this anyway apparently) and my other snails are ok too.

Shall i continue to leave it be, is or there something else i should be doing.

I think i know why it happened. I got Stan a new cave and i had to file the holes in it to make the edges smooth. I made sure it was clean before it went into the tank but i believe the bacteria can feed off new plastic items, something to do with them releasing chemicals?!

???

Offline biffster

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • a clean looking tank is not always a safe tank
Re: Bacterial bloom
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 03:14:34 PM »
A pint of untreated tap water added to you tank 12 to 24 hours later and it
should be gone done it loads of times the concentration are to low to harm
the fish but sort the bloom out bigger the tank the larger the amount to use

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 04:25:04 PM »
Untreated tapwater is fine in low doses as long as the tank is mature. The biofilm protects the bacteria in a mature tank. In an immature tank, the biofilm hasn't fully developed yet. If the water company uses chlorine it will gas off in a few hours.

When you moved the tank you could have stirred up the sediment on the bottom, which would also contribute to a bacterial bloom.

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 06:53:22 PM »
However you decide to deal with it, I would maximise aeration in the meantime as bacterial blooms can reduce oxygen levels. Probably won't be an issue with a lightly stocked tank, and in particular with a Betta owing to them having a labyrinth organ, but still wouldn't hurt.

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 07:17:43 PM »
I'm gonna leave it be.

I don't have the energy to do anything major besides. :-\

FC76

Offline biffster

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 10:30:08 PM »
pint of untreated is an easy cure

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 07:50:40 AM »
I did that on tuesday and is still there. Worse again this morning. Now looks as though there is a fine layer of snow!!!

FC76

Offline Rich_D

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 07:53:17 PM »
Fc76 this is what happend to my tank but I had fish deaths too, does it have a smell to it fc76?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Angelfish (6) - Red Tail Black Shark (1) - Assassin Snail (1) - Japonica Shrimp (1) - Ruby Barb (10) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (10) - Sparkling Gourami (15) - Golden Pencilfish (15) - Angelfish (7) - Japonica Shrimp (9) - Assassin Snail (5) - Panda Cory (8) - Golden Pencilfish (7) - Diamond Tetra (9) - Red Tail Black Shark (1) - Flame Tetra (2) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Round Banded Barb (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 08:00:08 PM »
Hi rich,

No smell. I remember your tank and you had the rotten egg smell didn't you? Mine smells earthy, which i believe is good?!

I sucked some of the biggest bits of white out today with a syringe, trying really hard not to stir it all up. But it still looks foggy in there.

I've decided to give it til sunday, that will be one week since it appeared. Then i shall hoik me snails out and chuck some esha 2000 in!!

I am a bit fed up with fish tanks at the mo!!!

FC76

Offline Rich_D

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 08:29:00 PM »
Yeah it did have that smell  :sick:
Not sure what that is then?? I know the feeling though although my cycle finished Im waiting till pay day to get fish but my filter has developed a strange knocking sound, no matter what I do it doesn't quite seem to go away, if it's not one thing it's another eh!  :vcross:

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Angelfish (6) - Red Tail Black Shark (1) - Assassin Snail (1) - Japonica Shrimp (1) - Ruby Barb (10) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (10) - Sparkling Gourami (15) - Golden Pencilfish (15) - Angelfish (7) - Japonica Shrimp (9) - Assassin Snail (5) - Panda Cory (8) - Golden Pencilfish (7) - Diamond Tetra (9) - Red Tail Black Shark (1) - Flame Tetra (2) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Round Banded Barb (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Mad_BMS

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
  • Returning to keep fish in my retiral from my teens
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2014, 10:47:03 AM »
I had a major bloom that untreated water did not fully kill off however did cause an ammonia spike from discussion on this forum I assume was caused by bacterial death. It was so thick that Tetras were gasping for air in and 1 died before I got them out. It took a full week to totally disappear but this was with major water changes and addition of evolution aqua pure. Never found reason and put it down to new tank syndrome.

Offline Sue

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2014, 11:05:45 AM »
Untreated water in small amounts up to 10% is OK in mature tanks but not immature ones. Mature is defined as a tank that had been running for at least 6 months. It takes that long for the biofilm to develop fully. The ammonia and nitrite eating bacteria live within the biofilm, and until it is fully developed the film can't protect the bacteria.
That's why I don't advise adding untreated water to new tanks, too risky.

But at least yours did sort itself out in the end, Mad_BMS.

Offline biffster

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2014, 07:47:30 PM »
fishcake whats the ph of your tap water please ????

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2014, 07:56:54 PM »
Hi Biff,

PH is a steady 7.

:)

Offline biffster

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2014, 10:50:02 PM »
i was thinking it was to do with limescale internal or external
filter

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2014, 09:23:44 PM »
Today the bloom had started to go - YAY!!!!  :))

But....  ::)

Stanley has fungus growing on his fins and the start of an ulcer just in front of his dorsal fin so I took the decision to treat him with Esha 2000 anyway. I took the lid off his tank and was hit by the stench of rotten eggs!!  :vcross:

So. Out came the snails. They have moved to the QT (I'm never sure if the T represents the Tine of quarantine or tank?!?! ::)) and Stan's tank was syphoned and refilled, water treated, esha 2000 added, blah, blah,blah.....

The snails are loving it in their new warm (28*C - to speed along the nitrogen cycle) tank and i've posted a photo of my Sulawesi snail as it is the first time since i got him that he has a) moved very much and b) not climbed straight out of the water!!!!  He is gorgeous!!!! :))

I have popped some spinach and some blood worm in there for them and the filter was run in my 54 litre tank for two weeks then soaked in filter sponge squeezings too and I added 10ml of Quick Start for good measure!!!!

I did wonder though, and seeing your comment about lime scale Biff am still wondering if the rocks i have in Stans tank are causing a problem with the water.  I collected them on the beach in Whitstable a couple of years ago. Then they lived on the rockery in the garden for a year then they were boiled and soaked in salty water, then rinsed in tap water before going into Stans tank. They have now started to go black, having started out being a sandy colour.  I don't know what the rocks off the kentish coast are but could they be significant to the bloom???

Anyway, here is the photo of my snail.

FC76
 ;)

Oh, by the way Biff I have internal filters in all my tanks with sponge media.

Offline Sue

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2014, 05:01:38 PM »
How long before the bloom appeared did you put the rocks in?

I once bought a rock from Maidenhead Aquatics, which I naturally assumed would be suitable for aquariums. The day after I put it in the tank I got up to find I could hardly see through the tank and all the leaves had fallen off the hornwort. I had several bare stems and a carpet of pine needle like leaves. Took me ages and several water changes to get them all out.

Do you have any real plants in the tank, and are they OK? Just wondering if the smell was down to decaying foliage.

I took the offending rock straight out of the tank and used it to attach air plants to.

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2014, 08:23:27 PM »
According to my records, the bloom occured 13 days after the rocks went into the tank. Today the tank is clear but then it was cleaned thoroughly yesterday. Plants are all live and all fine, apart from the Hygrophila Polysperma Pink that has died in both tanks, so I don't think it's related.

I'll keep an eye on things and report back if anything interesting happens!!!

Speaking of interesting things, I watched my fish eating a dead nerite snail this evening. My corys were desperately trying to turn his shell over. I suspected he had died so I lifted him out of the tank and sniffed him and sure enough, dead snail!!!  I prised his trap door off and popped him back in the tank and suddenly all my fish turned into piranhas!!!! I've never seen anything like it!!! They pulled his remains out of the shell and devoured him. My biggest Glowlight (known as big mama) was swimming round with a massive bit of snail hanging out of her mouth!!! I know it's a bit grim but at least I didn't have to feed them!!!! 

Anyway, I have four year old with me who is refusing to go to sleep so I'm off!!!

FC76

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2014, 12:53:14 PM »
Hi,

Bloom had started again this morning but only around the base of the rocks. I've taken them out. They did stink of rotten eggs on removing them but once they had been out of the tank for a couple of minutes the smell had gone. the tank smells ok.

Stan is a bit quiet today, probably due to the ammonia spike. He is hiding under his almond leaf! Poor lad.

Here is a picture of the stones, so you can see the colour change that has occured.

FC76

Offline Richard W

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2014, 01:07:38 PM »
The blackness on the bottom of the rocks is caused by the action of anaerobic bacteria, as is the smell. Substrate under rocks can easily become anaerobic as there is no water circulation under them, particularly if the substrate is deep and/or compacted, or if waste matter is collecting under the rocks. Better leave the rocks out for now, it has nothing to do with the type of rock.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Bacterial bloom"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
15 Replies
Last post January 04, 2015, 05:33:29 PM
by Sanjo
54 Replies
Last post May 17, 2015, 09:14:22 AM
by Skittler
3 Replies
Last post September 13, 2017, 02:26:55 PM
by sjames
3 Replies
Last post January 30, 2018, 09:09:13 AM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: