Back From Two Weeks Holiday And......

Author Topic: Back from two weeks holiday and......  (Read 2791 times) 5 replies

Offline Lynne W

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Back from two weeks holiday and......
« on: June 09, 2018, 04:55:44 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
…..they're alive!! :fishy1:  :fishy1:  :cheers:

I've been so worried about them while I've been away but glad to report everyone seems to be OK, although struggling to count them as all and the plants have had a bit of a growing fest!

Male gourami still looks to be bugging the two females, there doesn't seem to be any damage though, so when everything has settled will defo get another one or two females.

The ammonia looks to be at 0.25ppm but I struggle between the green and the yellow, but used Sue's ammonia calculator, from previous post, and still in the OK zone.

I don't want to upset them too much by doing a big clean, so I've just done a 20% water change today and then was going to do the clean up stuff if a few days, glass, filter etc. does that sound like a plan?

Just one final question, if corys get spooked can they loose balance so to speak? Before I went on holiday one of the skunks totally freaked out and was lying on it's back for a bit, before it righted itself, and then seemed to be OK.

When I came back home today and approached the tank, the same, or another one did exactly the same thing and was floating upside down in the middle of the tank? He eventually got the right way round and immediately hid.

Just wondering if I might have some bladder disease or bloating, as the cory's are the only guys I can never see, I've no idea if the 10 of them are still alive, I'll need to "stock" the tank to see, or if indeed they do this if they get a fright?

Lynne

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Rummy Nose Tetra (16) - Harlequin Rasbora (14) - Panda Cory (3) - Fiveband Barb (14) - Pearl Gourami (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Re: Back from two weeks holiday and......
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 05:28:55 PM »
I was semi-dreading opening the post but relieved by the first line - great news.  :D

Your plan for a small water change and then cleaning the glass and filter (ie gently squeezing the filter media into being-discarded water - nothing more than this, clean of the impeller if required, removing plant debris) sounds a sensible one to me.

As for the cories' behaviour, cories do have a habit of playing dead when they're still alive (or vice versa once or twice, in my case) but not necessarily if they're spooked ie that may result in such behaviour but again so may other factors. If they've access to plenty of hiding places behind plants, etc, and as they're kept in good size numbers, each of which is the case as far as yours are concerned, then I'm not really sure what might be causing this behaviour. Do the lights go off/on suddenly? Is anyone heavily footed? Over the time that I've kept fish, I've had to "train" folk to be light-footed and approach the tank carefully so as not to cause undue stress to the fish.

If you suspect swimbladder/bloating type problems, or even if you don't, it would be worth having at least one day a week free from dried food and substituting it with frozen/live food or even pea (de-shelled and chopped into tiny morsels) to help induce a 'clearout' of any intestinal-type blockages.

Offline Lynne W

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 05:47:19 PM »
yeah bit of a cliff hanger title!!  :yikes:

Thanks for the advice, as for the corys the all disappear when you go near the tank or even if you move you head if sitting in front of it, so they are a bit spooky although have loads of cover.

I'll try the live, frozen food thing and see what happens, as for peas, do you cook them, or just take them out of their skins and chop them up?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Rummy Nose Tetra (16) - Harlequin Rasbora (14) - Panda Cory (3) - Fiveband Barb (14) - Pearl Gourami (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 06:16:48 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
At the risk of sounding daft, I've often found that sitting by fish and animatedly interacting with / chatting to them actually gains their confidence in getting used to you/humans generally - either that or they're thinking "what on earth..?" but it does honestly seem to work and with others I've advised this to. You may prefer to do this when on your own to avoid feeling self-conscious.  ;)

as for peas, do you cook them, or just take them out of their skins and chop them up?
If you blanch them quickly in hot water, then it makes it much easier for the shell/skin just to slide off.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2018, 09:14:54 PM »
Hooray.  :cheers:
Glad to hear that your fish are all ok on your return.  ;D

I recently went on holiday myself, for the first time since I got fish, and even though I had a friend come in every 3 days to feed the gang I was still very worried until I got home and saw that everyone was fine.  ::)

Offline TopCookie

• aka: Pierre
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2018, 11:30:01 PM »
Bavisimo Lynne...   :D   and yeah, my Corys are exactly the same...  skittish, especially with heavy footfall, and prefer to stay out of view when humans are around... 

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Back from two weeks holiday and......"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
2 Replies
Last post November 20, 2013, 10:28:05 AM
by polkadotpuffer
8 Replies
Last post October 15, 2014, 10:49:56 PM
by brian c
0 Replies
Last post February 19, 2015, 04:23:56 AM
by brian c
10 Replies
Last post July 23, 2017, 07:50:57 PM
by Helen
9 Replies
Last post September 09, 2018, 03:13:19 PM
by Gbetts
10 Replies
Last post November 24, 2019, 02:12:26 PM
by Vanadia
10 Replies
Last post January 16, 2021, 01:11:41 PM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: