Baby CPDs

Author Topic: Baby CPDs  (Read 2967 times) 5 replies

Offline Richard W

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Baby CPDs
« on: April 26, 2015, 07:42:04 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
While looking into one of my tanks a couple of days ago, I noticed a tiny fish darting about near the surface, only a few millimetres long. I realised it had to be a Celestial Pearl Danio (CPD) as the only other fish in that tank are Salt and Pepper corys (plus shrimps). After feeding the tank with the very fine granules which I use for the CPDs I managed to see 3 little ones feeding at the same time and so there are at least 3.

The only other fish that have bred in my tanks were the Ruby barbs where two little ones managed to survive last year. I doubt if they will succeed again as there are now 10 Green Tiger barbs in the tank as well as the  10 Ruby barbs. I call it the greedy tank and I can't imagine any eggs surviving.

I attribute these unplanned breeding successes to something most people seem to hate, i.e. filamentous algae a.k.a blanket weed. I tend to leave this to grow and pull out a handful every so often, a good way to get rid of nitrates. I'm pretty sure this is the only place that a few eggs could manage to fall and be hidden long enough to survive, plus it provides a good place for the hatchlings to stay and there are probably suitable small food organisms there as well.

Anyway, I was wondering which species other people have found to breed spontaneously in their tanks, excluding livebearers, and if they have been successful in rearing them.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
Re: Baby CPDs
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 04:27:56 PM »
Bearing in mind I've been keeping fish since ~1996 and had quite a few species since then, the following have bred in my tank:
white cloud mountain minnows - one or two made it through to adulthood
pygmy cories - I still have one of them
honey gouramis - the fry either got eaten or died in the QT as gouramis can be tricky to keep alive until the labyrinth organ grows
bolivian rams - all fry got eaten
Apistogramma cacatuoides - five made it through to adulthood
Apistogramma borelli - one reached adulthood
Zebra danios - I think the fry all got eaten (one of the first fish I had and can't remember that far back  :-[ )

I think that's all  :)

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 10:08:03 PM »
Just wanted to say congrats on the CPDs Richard. I've not had any breeding successes yet, though haven't made any effort (or conscious non-effort!) to breed fish yet. Given my greedy platies I'm not holding out much hope in this setup!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 10:07:27 AM »
Congrats Richard on your recent arrivals  :fishy1:

And Sue, that's not encouraging ! Although I am not consciously trying to breed my fish (in fact I am art 100% according to the creator) I do look at my two female WCMM regularly to see if they are getting any fatter and kid myself they maybe!
Being 100% now,  if we should manage to breed any I know the other half is likely to think it's cruel to have that many fish in the same tank - see where this thinking is leading me!!   ::)

More than one way to skin a cat

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 01:26:27 PM »
Grats on the CPDs Richard, they're beautiful fish  :cheers:

Offline Richard W

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 03:41:07 PM »
I  reckon the best chance of egg scatterers breeding and any fry surviving in a community tank is if you have lots of moss or filamentous algae for the eggs to fall in and the tiny fry to hide in. Otherwise, the eggs just become a special tasty treat for the other fish.

I see that most of Sue's successes were those with parental protection. When I had fish in my teenage years (long, long ago!) the only fish that bred was the Egyptian Mouthbrooder, a fish that seems to have virtually disappeared, no doubt because of its lack of colour, but which had fascinating parental care, all the little fry zooming into the mother's mouth when danger threatened.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Baby CPDs"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post March 29, 2013, 02:51:22 PM
by Sue
Baby Platys

Started by Resa « 1 2 » New Fishkeepers

31 Replies
Last post April 16, 2013, 02:40:16 PM
by Resa
20 Replies
Last post September 07, 2013, 05:55:45 PM
by Resa
2 Replies
Last post August 29, 2013, 10:43:04 PM
by Shakie
4 Replies
Last post January 02, 2015, 04:13:49 PM
by Jwc
2 Replies
Last post March 17, 2015, 11:20:09 PM
by Fiona
4 Replies
Last post December 04, 2018, 10:49:17 PM
by hilly

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: