Assassin Snails

Author Topic: Assassin snails  (Read 3490 times) 7 replies

Offline Jwc

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Assassin snails
« on: January 04, 2015, 09:16:50 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Just got some of these bad boys to hopfully take controll of my snail infestation. I'm not really sure what to expect from them in terms of activity! I have 5 2 went off and haven't seen them since one had its dinner then has done nothing and two have literally not moved in 12 hours! What should I expect to see them do which would indicate they are healthy?

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
Re: Assassin snails
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 11:29:32 PM »
Congrats on your new residents. I bought three assassins a couple of months back. They did absolutely nothing for a week and spent the whole time buried in the substrate. I thought they were a complete waste of money. Then, almost over night my pest snail population plummeted and now I only see one or two pest snails in the tank. They are amazing little creatures that will sort your pest snail problem, just give them a week to settle in!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Jwc

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 11:44:20 PM »
I was thinking maybe they would need some time to adjust to their new home so this has just confirmed it. The snails have got what I think is quite bad so I hope in a few months they are under controll.

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 08:03:12 AM »
Pest snails are a symptom of overfeeding. Their numbers increase when there's left over food for them to eat. Try cutting back on the amount of food you give your fish and this should also help reduce their numbers.

Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Richard W

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 08:20:25 AM »
If the "pest" snails, which I personally regard as useful inhabitants of the aquarium, are primarily on the glass then they are feeding on algae, which is the main food source for most aquatic snails. In that case they are a symptom of too much algae and the only way to reduce their numbers is to reduce the amount of algae. On the other hand, if the assassin snails do reduce their numbers, you may find you have more algae than before, replacing one "problem" with another.

Offline Jwc

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 11:25:32 AM »
I've cut my feeding right down now, to hardly anything. Some days I forget even so that side of it should be taken care of, the snails are everywhere so I couldn't say they were on the glass more than plants gravel etc. I've just introduced to suckermouths as well so if algae increase hopefully this will countered by a couple of creatures I like being in my tank.

Cheers for the imput as always.

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 10:13:02 PM »
Well good luck Jwc! I'm certain that the assassins will liven up soon and get on top of your snail outbreak. Whilst Richard is far more experienced than I, I personally doubt that excess algae is the primary cause of your large snail population, especially if it is getting to plague proportions. Overfeeding is in my opinion far more likely the cause and I'm glad to hear you've already addressed this.

A reduction in the number of pest snails will increase the amount of algae in the tank as assassins only eat it as a last resort. There are several methods for controlling algae in the tank, such as reduced lighting and plants that inhibit algal growth by outcompeting it for nutrients. There are also several species of fish and invertebrates that eat algae, but again this is treating the symptom rather than addressing the problem.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 12:37:29 PM »
Assassins snails also have the added advantage of being a very pretty addition to a tank.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Assassin snails"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post June 15, 2014, 03:23:07 PM
by notungz
5 Replies
Last post September 25, 2014, 07:28:54 PM
by Fiona
3 Replies
Last post October 20, 2014, 08:40:45 PM
by Fiona
4 Replies
Last post March 09, 2015, 02:33:42 PM
by Fiona
2 Replies
Last post June 01, 2018, 05:56:11 AM
by Rustle
4 Replies
Last post September 17, 2018, 10:10:05 AM
by TopCookie
3 Replies
Last post February 21, 2023, 10:53:40 PM
by adiv

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: