Are Snails The Solution Rather Than The Problem For Once?

Author Topic: Are snails the solution rather than the problem for once?  (Read 5326 times) 16 replies

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
Are snails the solution rather than the problem for once?
« on: December 10, 2014, 08:02:50 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi all,
Being a relatively new fish keeper, I predictably experienced a 'snail plague' through a combination of overfeeding and not checking my plants thoroughly enough! I cut back the feeding and bought 3 assassin snails to sort the problem out. The assassins have been an incredible success and its now rare to see more than one or two pond snails in my tank.

I'm now starting to get algae growing on the glass of my tank. The shrimp are doing a great job at keeping the plant clean, but do nothing for the glass. My tank is a 40cm cube (55l, ph7.4 with harder water) and relatively new so a Pleco is not an option, neither are otos as the tank is close to max stocking. That's left me to conclude that other than manual labour, the best option for keeping my glass clean are nerite snails. My concern is that they will just be a feast for my assassins. My LFS assures me that nerites are too large for assassins to eat, but would like some advice from the forum if possible.

Has anyone kept nerites with assassins successfully, and what size nerite is the minimum to be kept safely? Alternative suggestions for keeping the glass clean is also welcome!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline brian c

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Re: Are snails the solution rather than the problem for once?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 10:13:39 PM »
no,no no.they will eat any snail i have heard.i would NOT risk it.if they cost the same for you to buy them as me.then thats 3 bucks per snail in another snails tummy.

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 10:51:59 PM »
Cheers Brian, that's what I thought. They're 4 quid each at my LFS but I spotted 10 for under a tenner on ebay. Tempted to ask my LFS if they'd trade assassins for nerites, but my three amigos seem settled and are doing a great job. Guess I better get the algae scraper out!

Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline brian c

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 01:31:58 AM »
no keep assigns.they cost about the same as neitretes snails.plus their in high demand.

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • were going to need a bigger tank
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 07:34:03 AM »
if your getting lots of  algae build up on the glass in your tank there is other things to consider aswell , one is if there is still to much waste food in tank that can cause  algae in the tank another possible cause is amount of light in the tank , how long to do you currently have your day lights on for and a 3rd possible cause could be what tap water treatment you use i use to use api stress coat which had aloe vera in it but i was getting huge  algae build up so i switched to api tap water conditioner and this helped to reduce my  algae a fair bit - but there is still no substitue for a bit of a scrub

Offline ColinB

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 08:29:19 AM »
I have Nerite snails..... and I still need to roll my sleves up and get wet!

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Richard W

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 08:41:08 AM »
I found that some of my tanks were getting algae on the front glass a lot more than others. It didn't take long to figure out that those nearer windows, though not receiving direct sunlight, were the worst affected. I tested this by hanging a dark cloth over the front of these tanks for a while, so that they were only lit by the tank lights which resulted in a rapid and dramatic reduction in algae on the glass. Even if a tank isn't receiving direct sunlight the ambient light levels can still be very high, particularly  if, as in my case, the windows are more or less south-facing. Even large numbers of Malaysian trumpet and small snails made little impact, only my bristlenose plecs manage to keep the glass clear.

Offline brian c

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 11:18:15 AM »
one of my 10 gallons in directly in front of a window and gets this really tough green algae.its so hard to get off by rubbing so i have took other methods into use.but i have found that a sock is really good at getting it off.im so weird  :rotfl: :raspberries

Offline ColinB

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, 11:53:24 AM »
one of my 10 gallons in directly in front of a window and gets this really tough green algae.its so hard to get off by rubbing so i have took other methods into use.but i have found that a sock is really good at getting it off.im so weird  :rotfl: :raspberries

You're only weird if you don't take the sock off first! :))

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2014, 08:37:38 PM »
Haha!

Thanks for the advice guys. The algae problem isn't that bad, just trying to keep maintenance to a minimum (weekly water change and a good vac at the same time!).

I'd don't think overfeeding or sunlight are the problem. Lights are on for nine hours a day and I do use API Stress Coat. Think I'll switch to plain old conditioner when I run out... could be a while though!

Right I'm off to find an old sock!

Offline brian c

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2014, 10:16:25 PM »

You're only weird if you don't take the sock off first! :))
how did you know? :raspberries

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2015, 10:20:07 AM »
Just an update to this post.

I found a shop on ebay selling 5 x nerite snails for just over 6 pounds delivered, so at that price I thought it would be worth trying them in the tank with my assassins. A selection of 5 different types of nerites arrived a few days later, along with a large Sulawesi snail and an MTS. I popped them in the tank a week ago and with the exception of the horned bumblebee nerite, they are all doing fantastically. The horned bumblebee's shell was in poor condition when it arrived and I never saw it move in the 3 hours I observed them after introduction, so I'm not sure if he was supper for the assassins or was DOA.

The nerite snails are a variety of different sizes, from a black olive one that is about the size of a golf ball, to a tracked nerite that is about the size of a marble. So far the assassins haven't bothered them at all and the nerites have done an amazing job on the algae.

If things change I'll let you all know!

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2015, 10:57:25 AM »
I love nerites  :)

A tip if you are worried one might have died - dead shrimps snails stink! Take a gentle sniff of the suspect; I say gentle as the smell lingers in the nose for hours if you get a good strong whiff  :sick:

Edited for use of wrong word  :-[

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2015, 11:12:28 AM »
Thanks for the tip, though I guess you meant snail. I'll give it a little sniff now! Thanks again!

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2015, 11:25:12 AM »
Ooops  :-[

Corrected!

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2015, 03:27:49 PM »
It sounds like you used the same ebay seller as I did when I got my snails!!!! See my post here!!

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2015, 04:13:12 PM »
Definitely the same seller and an absolute bargain!

I think I got an onion, a tiger, a zebra, a horned bumblebee and a dusky nerite along with a MTS and a Long Nose Snail (Stenomelania torulosa). All were fine except the horned bumblebee which was DOA :(

They are exceptional algae eater, but I must say the Long Nose Snail scared the life out of me when he emerged from my substrate after going missing for a couple of days!

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Are snails the solution rather than the problem for once?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
12 Replies
Last post November 28, 2012, 04:17:57 PM
by Mervyn
19 Replies
Last post August 22, 2013, 04:25:25 PM
by DutchyHolland
6 Replies
Last post January 21, 2014, 08:59:50 PM
by suep
10 Replies
Last post May 13, 2014, 10:40:20 PM
by fdm
33 Replies
Last post November 06, 2014, 01:14:50 PM
by Mad_BMS
20 Replies
Last post January 23, 2015, 07:11:22 AM
by Sanjo
7 Replies
Last post September 02, 2018, 08:45:38 PM
by Bazza2000

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: