Restocking 54-litre Tank, Now That Numbers Are Depleting

Author Topic: Restocking 54-litre tank, now that numbers are depleting  (Read 6829 times) 24 replies

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
Re: Restocking 54-litre tank, now that numbers are depleting
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2018, 08:42:31 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
You know they dig into the substrate right?  Didn't know if that might put you off, or if you're comfortable with that?

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2018, 09:30:50 PM »
I have a couple of slate caves for the gudgeons and the stiohodons had excavated under one so it was almost on the bottom glass with a hill to one side. When I did a water change on Friday I lifted the cave and smoothed the sand flat, then put the cave on top of the sand. By Saturday, the cave was in a hole again with a hill to one side.

In your sized tank I'd go for 1 m 2 f, or just maybe 3 f. The males are those with a hint of colour but the females are just black and white. Once they've settled, males colour up nicely.

I still don't know what exactly mine are, they were described as indigo blue gobies at the shop because that's what the wholesaler called them.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2018, 02:39:17 PM »
You know they dig into the substrate right?  Didn't know if that might put you off, or if you're comfortable with that?
Thanks - this doesn't bother me at all... all that bothers me is seeing my own pets being eaten. :yikes:  In fact, if they ate any fallen fish food, so much the better. I do know Mr FCMF disliked kuhli loaches when he saw them, so we'll see what he thinks if we ever get to see any of these.

I have a couple of slate caves for the gudgeons and the stiohodons had excavated under one so it was almost on the bottom glass with a hill to one side. When I did a water change on Friday I lifted the cave and smoothed the sand flat, then put the cave on top of the sand. By Saturday, the cave was in a hole again with a hill to one side.
In your sized tank I'd go for 1 m 2 f, or just maybe 3 f.
I like the sound of their antics even more :D - in fact, their description is remarkably close to my own last night when I spent quite a lot of time hunting for my mislaid keys and glasses ::) - and thanks for the advice re numbers and sexes.

Offline Sue

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2018, 03:03:25 PM »
To me, stiphodons have a sort of frog like appearance with their eyes rather than the snake like appearance that puts people off kuhlis, and they are stiff bodied unlike the bendy khulis. Stiphs also have the endearing habit of lying on things with their heads slightly raised as though they are keeping a look out for something.

The shop where I bought mine did not have enough females on the first visit, so I went back when they had more in. The second time they had another species as well, though I cannot remember what they were. They were reddish in colour, and the ugliest stiphs I have ever seen - and three times the price of the "indigo blues"

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2018, 10:45:45 AM »
To me, stiphodons have a sort of frog like appearance with their eyes rather than the snake like appearance that puts people off kuhlis, and they are stiff bodied unlike the bendy khulis. Stiphs also have the endearing habit of lying on things with their heads slightly raised as though they are keeping a look out for something.

Their cute little faces, and habit of resting with their heads up, make these little fish absolutely adorable. Watching them feed, with their little mouths going like the clappers, is very entertaining. The thing that always gets me with my gang is when they poke their heads out of burrows. A while back I saw 3 sharing a burrow, all poking their heads out in a row, and it was so cute.

I'm planning a rework of my river tank soon, so I can glue/silicone small pebbles to the bottom of the larger rocks, so that they don't collapse into the sand when the stiphs burrow under them.

I'll admit that I may be slightly biased towards these fish.  :)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Restocking 54-litre tank, now that numbers are depleting"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post March 13, 2014, 04:27:45 PM
by ColinB
5 Replies
Last post May 22, 2015, 09:05:13 PM
by fcmf
9 Replies
Last post June 12, 2015, 07:24:11 PM
by justin
7 Replies
Last post May 08, 2016, 08:58:35 PM
by Littlefish
6 Replies
Last post November 03, 2016, 05:44:28 PM
by Littlefish
8 Replies
Last post December 29, 2016, 08:54:25 PM
by heather62
131 Replies
Last post September 21, 2018, 09:46:43 AM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: