Aqadvisor Website.

Author Topic: Aqadvisor Website.  (Read 3332 times) 4 replies

Offline notungz

• Fishy Member
Aqadvisor Website.
« on: May 13, 2014, 05:50:09 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi All.

Does anyone use the website Aqadvisor? I have been playing around on their version of the Community Creator. With one of my tanks it gave very similar results, but with my 100cm, 160 litre tank the results were vastly different.

With the Community Creator, my tank is at 77% of capacity, but with Aqadvisor it says that it is at 172% capacity. This has obviously got me worried. It also states that I need to add much more filtration.

Any thoughts on this.
Thank you,
Ian.

Offline SteveS

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • With apologies to M.C.Escher
Re: Aqadvisor Website.
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 06:32:32 PM »
There is a problem with these sort of stock-level calculations in that they implement the value-judgement of the person(s) behind them. There is little objective about them. For many years, the community creator on this site, well it's predecessor to be accurate, was reviled by the hobby at large as allowing far too many fish for a given tank. AqAdvisor errs, in my not so humble opinion, a long way in the other direction.

Actually, neither one of them has a chance of being anything like accurate because there are far more variables involved than either one of them takes into account. Play with them by all means, they can be fun and educational; but treat the results with a pinch of salt.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline notungz

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 06:40:49 PM »
Thanks for that Steve.

Several of my fish are quite young, so have a lot of growing to do. I'm sure these sites are using data for adult fish, so I guess I'll be OK.

I suppose, with all of the variables, it's like asking how long is a bit of string?  :-\ 

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 06:51:25 PM »
The community creator on here definitely uses the full (average) adult size in it's calculations - it's the best way to do it as it prevents you from getting caught out by later growth.

I used the creator when setting up my tank and I'm now stocked to 85% according to it's calculations, but as Steve says, I used it for general guidance, rather than as a rule book. I mostly benefited from the creator flagging up any potential conflicts between fish and the advice it provides on minimum group/shoal sizes.

There is an good article on here about the community creator which explains how it works here.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 07:17:58 PM »
It's always the adult fish you take into account when working out stocking. Juvenile fish, which is what are in the shops, grow very quickly.

There are so many things to consider when stocking a tank. Some people swear by the 1 inch of fish per US gallon and can get really nasty towards those who exceed it. Others insist on the 1 inch of fish per 12 square inches of water surface. More people insist that both are old fashioned and should be ignored.

I do advise newcomers to the hobby to stop slightly short of what the community creator says they can have, simply because there is a tendency to go overboard. And the newcomer will not have a mature tank (as opposed to a cycled tank) and may not have got into the maintenance routine yet that is needed for a tank stocked to something approaching its limit. Once the newcomer has more experience, then yes stock up to the CC limit, or even beyond. By that time, the fishkeeper will know his tank and his fish. He will know when something is not right. And he will now know that if he wants a lot of fish, he needs to do the maintenance necessary for the the number of fish in the tank.

And yes, aqadvisor is not well regarded. Some forums go as far as to ban the name, treating it the same as a swear word that is removed by a filter.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Aqadvisor Website."

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
10 Replies
Last post October 28, 2018, 11:58:58 AM
by Robert

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: