Any Suggestions On Amquel Plus

Author Topic: Any suggestions on amquel plus  (Read 3322 times) 10 replies

Offline uv

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Any suggestions on amquel plus
« on: October 28, 2018, 10:23:50 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I came across this recently and thinks could be a good source reducing my Nitrates in tap water and also acts as dechlorinator.

Did any one used this product? If so, would you recommend this replacing with existing dechlorinator?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Honey Gourami (1) - Neon Tetra (6) - Guppy (male) (1) - Ornamental Snails (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Any suggestions on amquel plus
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 10:33:25 AM »
According to their website, it 'detoxifies' nitrites and nitrates, it doesn't remove them. And with all these products, detoxification lasts only 24 to 36 hours before they become 'undetoxified' again.
The 'detoxified' forms still show up in the tests.

It will not remove nitrate, only 'detoxify' it for 24 to 36 hours.

Their statement that itreduces the need for water changes is pure hype, in my opinion. Water changes are the fish keepers best friend.

These products are not a permanent solution. Their main use is during fish-in cycling where they keep the fish safe between daily water changes, and when something happens to destroy filter bacteria where again it keeps the fish safe between daily water changes.

This Amquel Plus sounds the same as Seachem Prime. Once the tank is cycled, you don't need it. But it could be useful during fish-in cycling, coupled with water changes whenever readings show above zero.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2018, 11:02:41 AM »
What are the nitrate readings for (i) your tap water ie straight out of the tap and (ii) your tank water immediately before a scheduled water change, (iii) your tank water immediately after the usual regular water change, and (iv) your tank water mid-way between water changes (eg if you change it weekly, mid-way through that week)?

We might be able to provide further advice to reducing your nitrates on the basis of that.

Offline uv

• Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2018, 12:03:39 PM »

My opinion is I think it dies more than that.

I saw a YouTube video reducing  nitrates from 40ppm to 5 ppm.

Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline uv

• Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2018, 12:09:34 PM »
The tank is not fully matured but readings I have observed so far...

1) ~30ppm straight from tap water

2) ~50-60ppm before I do a water change. Water change is based on ammonia reaching closer 1ppm. It is taking a week to reach this point.

I added Tetra Safe Start on Friday.

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2018, 12:11:48 PM »
There are a few ways to reduce nitrate in a tank.

If the tap level is low - there are too many fish, the fish are fed too much, water changes aren't enough.

If the tap level is high - use a nitrate filter to prefilter new water for using during water changes; mix tap water with RO water; fill the tank with lots of live plants.

There is no bottled product that will reduce nitrate. In nature there are bacteria that turn nitrate into nitrogen gas but these are anaerobic bacteria, that is they only grow in areas with no oxygen. In a tank there are no oxygen depleted areas.
People who make YouTube videos can make all sorts of claims, a lot of them untrue. AmQuel themselves do not claim to reduce nitrate, only 'detoxify' it.

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2018, 12:17:03 PM »
If your nitrate reading is increasing 20 to 30 ppm between water changes, that is too much.

The possible reasons are:
Too many fish. Fish produce ammonia which ends up as nitrate. The nitrate level should not go up by more than 20 ppm a week, and even that is a bit on the excessive side.
Too much food. Fish food, whether eaten by the fish or rotting in the tank, produces ammonia, which ends up as nitrate.
Not enough water changes. The minimum is 50% per week.

Do you still have just 4 guppies or have you got more fish since you posted that? 4 guppies in 54 litres should not push nitrate up that much between water changes. That leaves the question of feeding. How much do you feed the guppies?

Offline uv

• Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2018, 02:05:32 PM »
I did 50% water changes twice a week.

Still have the same 4 hippies.

I do feed fish flakes twice a day and brine shrimp once a week. May be I am overseeing,  Isince yesterday I am feeding them once a day. I tried doing this week's ago but since the they are going crazy and fight each other so I withdrawn my plans.

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2018, 02:13:57 PM »
As a rough guide, a fish's eye is the same size as its stomach. The amount of food that should be fed on any occasion is equal to 4 guppy eyes. More than that is too much.

Fish do not need nearly as much food as we think. We generate our own body heat and the majority of the food we eat goes just to keep us warm. Fish do not generate their own body heat. Their body heat is regulated by the temperature of the water. They do not use food to keep warm. They need a lot less food than us as a proportion of body weight.

Offline uv

• Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2018, 02:20:12 PM »
Thanks Sue. Definitely I am feeding a lot more than what I should. I think I fed more when I feed them brine shrimps.

Feeding once a day is better or twice a day but reducing quantity significantly?

Offline Sue

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2018, 02:32:40 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
I would go with once a day, with 4 eyes worth of food and see how it goes. My main tank is fed once a day but the betta is fed twice a day - less pellets per feed though.

In my main tank I have around 15 espei's rasboras (called slender harlequins in the profiles), around 15 daisy's rice fish, 4 peacock gudgeons, 4 stiphodons, one female honey gourami, around 6 Boraras, one last pygmy cory, countless cherry shrimps. When I feed them a thawed out frozen cube they get 1 between them all.
I say 'around' because they are impossible to count.

Guppies will also pick at algae if they are hungry  :)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Any suggestions on amquel plus"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
2 Replies
Last post July 27, 2014, 09:35:24 PM
by dbaggie
11 Replies
Last post November 03, 2014, 09:00:00 PM
by fishcake76
18 Replies
Last post September 01, 2015, 10:01:16 PM
by GersBantamJR
5 Replies
Last post September 04, 2015, 09:26:58 PM
by GersBantamJR
5 Replies
Last post March 06, 2016, 09:47:09 AM
by Matt
15 Replies
Last post January 29, 2018, 07:35:49 AM
by Fishbeard
8 Replies
Last post July 26, 2018, 07:32:25 PM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: