Another Gourami?

Author Topic: Another Gourami?  (Read 2721 times) 9 replies

Offline Trish

• Super Fishy Member
Another Gourami?
« on: March 16, 2017, 01:57:57 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi all,

Some of you may remember that back in October, I had to put a gourami to sleep, as he was ill with what may have been the Gourami Virus.

Sue advised me to keep an eye on my remaining female Honey Gourami, and not to get any more until I was sure that everything was OK in the tank.

As my remaining gourami has been fine, and as there is no sign of any disease, I am thinking of adding a male Honey. I don't want to stress the gourami that I already have, she is a lovely little thing and seems to be perfectly happy.
I don't know whether it would be better to add another female, as well, in the hope of spreading any potential aggression.

If there was a high probability of aggression between the 3 of them, I would not go ahead with the plan.

Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Another Gourami?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 02:38:00 PM »
In 94 litres there is plenty room for 3 honey gouramis. I would try getting 1 new male and 1 new female. If your decor allows for it, you could always try the technique used for other fish - remove the fish already there to a tub, bucket etc, rearrange the decor then add the old fish and new fish together. The idea is that the old fish will think they are in a new tank as they don't recognise the tank with the decor rearranged.

Offline Trish

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 03:52:37 PM »
Thanks Sue.

I know what I am looking for now, and hopefully, will be able to pick out a male and a female !  ;)

Offline sipix1

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 09:20:41 AM »
Hallo Trish , I had one male and one female and the male would not leave her alone , so the poor thing just hid in the tank al the time . So I got another female and that seemed to work for a day or two and then the new female started picking on the other female because she was just a bit smaller. So I did a lot of reading and asking people about this and I found out that the best thing to do was two have three females to one male , or three males on there own , or the same with the females . I hope this helps and you sort things out . But one female on her own would be fine .

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Black Neon Tetra (6) - Glowlight Tetra (6) - Neon Tetra (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (4) - Panda Cory (6) - Ram / Butterfly Cichlid (2) - Rainbow Shark (1) - Swordtail (female) (1) - Kribensis (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Trish

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 10:59:32 AM »
Thanks sipix1, your help is much appreciated.
The last thing I want to do is upset the status quo. There's nothing worse, for me, than seeing fish fighting and being aggressive to each other.
I think I will just leave my female on her own. She is perfectly happy. I just wanted to have a colourful male, to add more interest.
Back to the drawing board!

Offline Trish

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 03:37:33 PM »
After having said that my honey gouramie is happy and healthy, I awoke this morning to find her lying at the bottom of the tank, and not coming out for food. When she has to go up for air, the tetras are bullying her.

I have done a water change as I don't know what else to do, and I haven't fed the tank today.

Yesterday, I think I overfed them with frozen bloodworm, I syphoned off some that had fallen to the bottom of the tank, but shortly afterwards, I noticed that a very fat and rotund female Cardinal, was swimming with a slight bobbing motion. I put this down to her gorging herself and hoped she would be OK today. However, she is still the same.

I don't know if the two are connected or not.

I thought that I would starve them today, then feed peas tomorrow, in the hope that it might solve the problem.

I would hate to lose my little female Honey, it is very upsetting to see her like this. She is behaving very much like the other gourami, just before I had to put him to sleep.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 06:55:32 PM »
A day without food, followed by a chopped pea day is a good idea. I generally do it every week or so.
I'm afraid I don't know what the problem is with your fish, but I will be interested to hear what others say because I've just had to deal with something very similar with my final original v. platy. She was referred to as mummy fish (the only one that had babies) and around a week ago she started having problems. I thought it was a swim bladder issue, and dealt with it with medication. I thought things were getting a bit better, but when I got home from work this evening it obviously wasn't, and ended up using clove oil for her.
I wish we could ask them what was is wrong/how they feel/where it hurts, and not knowing what the problem is can make it very difficult.

Offline Trish

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 07:09:28 PM »
It's really hard, isn't it, when fish are sick, and you don't know what to do for the best?

Apart from the problems I have at the moment, last week, I found a dead Cardinal, on the carpet, behind the tank. It must have jumped out when I did a water change.

I have just done a head count this evening and........one of my Harlequins is missing!

It never rains, but it pours. :vcross:

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 07:43:51 PM »
You are not kidding there.
I'm currently trying to set up a few smaller tanks so I can split up my mudskippers - although they are still very small there are actually 2 species in the 4 fish I bought (which was unexpected) and one species is more aggressive than the other, and he's chasing everyone.  ::)

Offline Trish

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 07:46:09 PM »
Oh Joy!!

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Another Gourami?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
7 Replies
Last post July 01, 2013, 12:53:59 PM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post February 27, 2014, 03:42:56 PM
by Richard W
9 Replies
Last post June 04, 2014, 11:15:45 AM
by chris213
20 Replies
Last post September 02, 2015, 09:18:24 PM
by Sue
9 Replies
Last post December 15, 2017, 11:37:50 PM
by Hampalong
18 Replies
Last post March 07, 2018, 06:49:31 PM
by Littlefish
4 Replies
Last post September 24, 2018, 07:50:57 PM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: