Angelfish Fry Eating Plants

Author Topic: Angelfish fry eating plants  (Read 4529 times) 10 replies

Offline Pixiecatjo

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
Angelfish fry eating plants
« on: October 21, 2016, 06:22:19 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hello everyone, I've not posted here in a while, I have a pair of breeding angelfish, the first lot of fry died, the second are doing well, they are not free swimming as yet, but they are eating the plant leaf that they have been put on by the parents, is this ok, and normal? I have never kept angelfish before, and the breeding pair now have their own tank, I have a fry tank ready for the fry when they are bigger, I just have never seen this before and wanted to check if you guys think it's ok/normal or should I remove them now?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Clown Loach (1) - Neon Tetra (5) - Black Molly (1) - Zebra Loach (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka Donna
Re: Angelfish fry eating plants
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 06:34:03 PM »
Wow, that sounds exciting.  8)
I don't have any experience with angelfish, so I'm afraid I can't answer your question, but perhaps some of the more experienced keepers will be able to help.

Offline Sue

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 06:38:50 PM »
Are they eating the actual leaf - are there holes on the leaf like you get when a garden plant is attacked by caterpillars? A lot of tiny fish, including fry, feed off micro-organisms which live on surfaces in the tank. If the parents have put the fry on the leaf, that's where they'll look first for their food. But if they are eating the actual leaf there is not much you can do about it.

It is better to keep the fry with the parents as long as possible. They can be kept together until the parents show signs of wanting to spawn again. At this point, they'll see their offspring as a threat to the new eggs and may well eat them.
Cichlids that have been left with the parents usually become better parents themselves. Commercial breeders remove the eggs straight away, or very soon after hatching which is thought to be why so many people have problems with their fish eating the first few batches of eggs - the fish have to learn not to do it.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 06:51:58 PM »
Hi Pixiecatjo,

Just to add/clarify on Sue's message, the actual eating of the plant should be fine for the fish ie won't do them any harm, so no need to remove the fry because of that.

My two female tetras eat everything and I've caught them snapping at the plant leaves this week which explains the holes in it. I would have liked the plants to have remained as intact as possible, but hey ho. Thankfully the ones they eat are at the back of the tank so the holey leaves aren't so obvious. :)

Well done and good luck with the angel fry - hope they survive and thrive.
:fishy1:

Offline Pixiecatjo

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2016, 09:07:01 AM »
Thanks lovely people, we have got up this morning and the fry are all now free swimming, the parents are doing a good job so far, being very attentive, they are much more relaxed now that we have removed them from the community tank that they were in before, so hopefully these fry will be raised successfully. I will see if I can get a decent pic of them and post it on this thread some time in the next couple of days   :D

Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Pixiecatjo

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 09:01:41 AM »
In the continued saga of Angelfish fry, we thought the parents had eaten them all on Saturday morning :( , until yesterday when I did a water change on early that evening and decided to check the external filter, and yep you guessed it.......we found the missing fry!!!!! :o So they are now all safely housed in the fry tank, and man there are lots of them!!!
I think I will have to rename my RIO 180 "The Love Tank" as we have noticed one of the female platys, getting, well lets just say a little larger than normal, and yep, looks like she is about ready to give birth any day soon!!
All this and now my two Hill Stream Loaches have started to do a court ship dance!!

Very exciting, I just need to work out what the heck I can do with all the fry that are soon to appear!!!!! 
And how to get rid of the black beard algae in my RIO 180 as it's driving me crazy!!!

I will sort posting some pics and a video if anyone is interested   :D

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 09:49:42 AM »
All the fry were inside the filter? I wonder how they got there, or more to the point, how the parents let them get in there  ???

Offline Pixiecatjo

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 10:33:55 AM »
I know Sue! it was a shock to find them there, there were 2 fry that had remained in the main tank but all the others were in the filter!! They are all ok now, the parents were being very attentive, I can only think that the filter is too strong for them in the Angelfish tank, this is a new tank that was bought spacifically for the Angels that had paired so that they didn't get stressed in the main community tank, off had I can't remember the name I know the model number is a 620T and the filter is external, but integral, it is housed on the top of the tank with a lid that can be opened for direct access, so I figured I would take a chance and check to see if they were in there and hey presto Angelfish fry! :yikes:

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2016, 10:46:27 AM »
The 620T is an Aqua One tank, an Aqua Style to be precise. The filter is a trickle filter. I've checked with the maker's instructions and it has an intake pipe with a strainer on the end. The strainer will stop adult fish getting sucked up but not fry, as you've discovered. There is a simple adjustment you can make for future fry. Either wrap a length of filter wool round the strainer (though this would look messy as it would need to be tied on) or use a cube of sponge with a slit cut in it, and just slide the slit over the strainer. Sponge should allow water to pass through easily, though it would need to be cleaned regularly. And it would grow micro-organisms for the fry to eat.

If angels are like apistos, the parents suck up the fry, take them where they want to put the fry then spit them out. I wonder if they chose a spot a bit too near the filter intake and didn't know what to do when their babies disappeared up the tube.

Offline Pixiecatjo

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2016, 10:56:10 AM »
Thanks Sue, I was going to improvise by cutting the toes out of a pair of tights and using and elastic band over the end of the filter intake lol
They are young angels, who have bonded and this is the third lot of eggs they have laid, they laid the first lot directly onto the heater cover in the main tank, but I don't think the male fertilized them as they all died, the second spawning got eaten as they were all the my big community tank :( So we decided to get the paired angels a tank of their own to stop them getting stressed when they laid.
And yep she laid this batch close to the intake, so when they became free swimming I guess the flow was just to close and strong for them, we have now put a slate tile into the tank away from the intake along with two Anubis with nice big leaves to try and encourage her to lay an the other side of tank. Talk about pampered angels!!! lol

Offline Sue

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2016, 10:59:16 AM »
The toe of the tights would work just as well  :)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Angelfish fry eating plants"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
8 Replies
Last post July 03, 2013, 09:36:58 PM
by daniel_james_taylor
6 Replies
Last post March 18, 2014, 08:43:53 PM
by daniel_james_taylor
3 Replies
Last post November 18, 2016, 09:14:59 PM
by Andy The Minion
16 Replies
Last post April 18, 2018, 01:41:06 PM
by Emmdee
11 Replies
Last post July 24, 2018, 09:47:22 AM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post June 20, 2020, 11:50:18 AM
by CardinalTetraphilia
3 Replies
Last post August 24, 2020, 11:24:52 AM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: