An Update And A Couple Of Questions

Author Topic: An update and a couple of questions  (Read 2162 times) 3 replies

Offline Clarapup

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
An update and a couple of questions
« on: January 17, 2017, 10:04:26 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
So many sections on the forum, so I wasn't sure where to post this as it should probably go in a number of them, so I thought I would use this section!

So our tank is fully cycled and thriving. We had our ammonia spike, followed by our nitrite spike, but as we were both on leave for a couple of weeks after Christmas, we were able to keep on top of it with water changes and daily testing using the all-seeing,  all-dancing API kit.

We are now consistently at the following parameters; 8 / 8.2 ph (difficult to be totally sure), 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 5 nitrate. We have a lot of plants in the tank, which are growing and rooting rapidly. I'm sure I can almost see some of them grow before my eyes!

We are lightly stocked from our LFS with Harlequins, Schwartzi corys and Bosemani Rainbows and will not be adding anything else for a good while to ensure everything continues well - very hard given how amazing our LFS is. However this is a longterm project and has been a wish for many years so it's worth taking our time. We bought a big tank, in the knowledge that if we didn't we would want to upgrade quickly, which would not make financial sense, so are the proud owners of a Juwel Rio 240 in white, with a venturi, and I love it. It's certainly a talking point. I also picked up a second hand Juwel Rekord 600 tank and cabinet in brilliant condition and at a super price, as a quarantine tank.

As @Sue knows, I am also keen to keep shrimp, as I am fascinated by them, and this was a definite from the start. Ideally i would like to keep them in the main tank as a further point of interest, however, I know they are sensitive to many medications. I need to know if they are suitable with the fish we currently have (I think the rainbows are my main concern), whether to go for amano shrimp,  cherries, or a combination, and most importantly how long should I leave the tank before I look at adding them. Also, should they be quarantined before adding to the main tank? We are going to be keeping a sponge in the main tanks filter for when we need it, and would also use water from that tank so that it woukd be cycled immeduatly if we needed to use it. I have the right substrate for them, plants, roots and bogwood, with further plants to be added  (also aware of making sure the plants are shrimp safe / quarantined. 

The alternative of course is to turn the quarantine tank into a shrimpery and keep an eye out for another quarantine tank!

I've attached a photo of how our tank looks at the moment. It's not the best photo, but it's just to give an idea.

Sorry for the long ramble ... I promise to try to be more concise in the future ...

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Japonica Shrimp (10) - Penguin Tetra (6) - Golden Pencilfish (1) - Glowlight Tetra (1) - Rosy Tetra (1) - Lampeye Panchax (20) - Panda Cory (8) - Black Phantom Tetra (1) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Boeseman's Rainbowfish (5) - Japonica Shrimp (12) - Otocinclus (3) - Sterbas Cory (8) - Congo Tetra (16) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: An update and a couple of questions
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 10:29:40 AM »
In the big tank, the rainbows would undoubtedly eat baby shrimps, if you chose a shrimp that can breed in fresh water. They won't be able to eat adult shrimp whole because of their narrow throats - a feature common to rainbows - but they might decide to kill them in an attempt to eat them.
I have cherry shrimp in my 180 litre, you can see their tankmates in my signature. Hengels rasboras are closely related to harlequins and they seem to leave the shrimps alone. But I've seen the rice fish attack half grown shrimps so they will eat babies, as will the gudgeons. But there always seem to be shrimps of all sizes in my tank, probably because I have a lot of wood with plants attached, somewhere for shrimps to hide, both when small and as adults during moulting, a time when they are very vulnerable.

You would probably be OK with amano shrimp especially if you can source large ones. These don't breed in fresh water but they are quite big shrimps.

As for quarantining shrimps, it depends how the shop keeps them. I've been seeing more and more shops with shrimp only tanks in a different rank from their fish. In this case the shrimps should not need quarantining as they don't come into contact with water that is also in contact with fish. But where shrimps are in the same tank as fish or in a tank next to fish on the same filtering system, there is a small risk that the water in the bag could contain a fish pathogen. I would quarantine these for a couple of weeks.

However.....
Until a few months ago I had another tank similar in size to your Rekord - same footprint just not quite as tall. (I had to close it when we altered the kitchen as there was no room for it  :'( ) In there I kept cherry shrimps, pygmy cories and the last few of two Boraras species. Both these fish are very tiny and the shrimps thrived. When I closed the tank and put its occupants into the 180 litre, I moved 93 shrimps of various ages from newly hatched to adults.

So I can't help myself - I would use the Rekord as a shrimp tank  ;D

Your pH is quite high suggesting you have hard water. If you do, you would need to find small fish that like hard water. My Boraras, both B brigittae and B. maculatus, need soft water.

Offline Clarapup

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 12:13:28 PM »
Thanks @Sue for replying so quickly and with so much info  :) . I think my husband is resigned to the fact that the Rekord is likely to become a shrimp tank but initially I have to pretend that that was never my intention  :rotfl:

If I were to initially try adult amanos in the big tank, how long do I have to leave it before its mature enough? I know that they don't add any bioload so there's no worry there.  My rainbows are juveniles so that will probably give me enough time to look for another QT   ;)

ETA: yes we have very hard water here

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Japonica Shrimp (10) - Penguin Tetra (6) - Golden Pencilfish (1) - Glowlight Tetra (1) - Rosy Tetra (1) - Lampeye Panchax (20) - Panda Cory (8) - Black Phantom Tetra (1) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Boeseman's Rainbowfish (5) - Japonica Shrimp (12) - Otocinclus (3) - Sterbas Cory (8) - Congo Tetra (16) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 03:41:45 PM »
I would wait until the levels have been zero for at least a month before risking shrimps.

Amanos can live in hard water. If you buy them from nearby, the usual acclimation method is fine but if the shop's water is different they need slower acclimatisation over several hours.

Cherry shrimps are OK for your water as well. They now come in several colours besides red, eg orange, blue, yellow, but the colours should not be mixed or you'll end up with a tank of plain brown shrimps.

You could always set up the Rekord and cycle it, then get some male endlers, small colourful fish that like hard water. Then decide they are too small to go in the big tank after all, and say they have to stay in the smaller tank. Then get cherry shrimps.
The reason I say male only is because males spend most of their time chasing each other. This chasing doesn't to any damage, it just keeps them occupied. Female endlers are plain grey, larger and spend most of their time grazing for food. Females are much more likely to eat baby shrimps than males. And they're not as pretty.
And if you do want shrimps for the big tank, I'd go for amanos. Males are smaller than females and have dots down their sides; females grow bigger and have dashes down their sides. The females will carry fertilised eggs but the shrimp larvae need salt water to grow so you won't see baby amanos in a fresh water tank.

This is a good site to read up on shrimps of all kinds.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "An update and a couple of questions"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
11 Replies
Last post September 02, 2013, 01:34:57 PM
by graygang
12 Replies
Last post September 18, 2014, 09:43:00 PM
by Rich_D
7 Replies
Last post September 18, 2014, 09:26:11 PM
by Digs1923
2 Replies
Last post December 22, 2014, 10:34:15 AM
by Mad_BMS
1 Replies
Last post October 02, 2015, 06:55:20 PM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post July 19, 2016, 08:15:23 AM
by ColinB
35 Replies
Last post April 17, 2020, 03:49:18 PM
by Marcus_F

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: