Algae Issues

Author Topic: Algae Issues  (Read 6754 times) 6 replies

Offline selhurst sound

• Fish Fry
Algae Issues
« on: May 12, 2013, 11:23:48 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi all

Like many a fishkeeper will experience, I'm currently having an algae-based headache.  My plastic rocks are absolutely covered, and although I can live with some, this does look quite unsightly. 

The tank has been running for about a year now and the algae has gradually increased rather than a sudden spike.  I have previously cleaned the rock manually - although when I did this it was taking the rock right back to its base plastic (did not look good).  My Bristlenose & SAE completely stripped the rock when they first arrived but the algae grew back worse and greener than before and now they don't seem too interested.

Here's my stock list:

My nitrates are 40ppm out of the tap and don't tend to go much higher than that.  I do a weekly PWC of about 35L.
I did also test the water for phosphate and that was coming out quite high. Lights are on from 8-12 in the morning and then 5-10 in the evening.  Total of 9 hours.  I previously fed flake in the morning and frozen in the evening but have cut that down to a smaller amount of flake in the morning only for the past 2 weeks to no avail.

I have been considering whether the tap water could be the main source of the problem.  I also have a 30l marine nano, which of course uses RO water.  So I've been thinking about whether to start using RO on the trop tank to try and combat the algae issues.

Any ideas folks?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Salt and Pepper Catfish (3) - Rainbow Shark (1) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Guppy (male) (4) - Platy (3) - Endler's Livebearer (3) - Japonica Shrimp (4) - Kribensis (2) - Bolivian Ram (3) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Siamese Flying Fox (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Algae Issues
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 12:07:51 PM »
What live plants do you have? From the photo I can see java fern on the right and is that anubias on the left? Both of those are low light plants so you could try reducing the time the lights are on. Mine are on for 6 hours with those plants and they seem to thrive. Though if you have any other plants, you may need the lights on for longer.

But I should warn you, I'm not very good with plants - java fern abd anubias are aout the only ones I can manage, so if anyone else gives you different advice, go with what they say  :D

Offline selhurst sound

• Fish Fry
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 01:16:22 PM »
You're spot on about the plants Sue.  Java fern & anubias to my knowledge.  Also have a couple of moss balls in there but I believe they're fairly low light too. 

I've had the same experience with keeping other plants - they tend to go rather brown!

Salt and Pepper Catfish (3) - Rainbow Shark (1) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Guppy (male) (4) - Platy (3) - Endler's Livebearer (3) - Japonica Shrimp (4) - Kribensis (2) - Bolivian Ram (3) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Siamese Flying Fox (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline ColinB

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 07:53:48 AM »
Hiya and welcome.

40ppm of Nitrate will be feeding your algae so if you can it would be good to lower that. Thames water give me 25ppm in my tap water (which is also 16o of hardness) and I mix 2 parts tap water to 1 part RO water to both lower the hardness and the Nitrates.

I'm not very good with plants, but I grow Hygrophila polysperma very successfully and this is a good Nitrate remover, and I've recently (about 2 weeks ago) added Amazon Frogbit (limnobium laevigatum) as a floating plant and this grows very quickly and has my nitrates down below 10 already. The fish also like the shade and the trailing roots it provides. I have my lights on for 13½ hours a day.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline selhurst sound

• Fish Fry
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 07:25:35 PM »
Thanks Colin - do you add any trace elements in to your water or is the 2parts tap enough to keep things healthy?

Offline ColinB

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 07:40:13 AM »
I don't add anything back at all, just the mix of tap with RO seems to be fine. No complaints yet  :)

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 08:38:35 AM »
Whether to add anything to an RO/tap mix will depend on just how much tap water is in the mix, and how hard that tap water is.
If the tap water is very soft and you use RO because of the nitrate in it, you could end up with so few minerals that the fish can't cope. But using hard water to mix with RO wouldn't cause a problem, unless the tank had something like Rift Lake cichlids in it.
And mixing RO with tap water with low carbonate levels (KH) would put the tank at risk of a pH crash if minerals were not added back.

It is possible to have soft water with high nitrate. Soft just means the water doesn't have much calcium or magnesium.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Algae Issues"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post May 08, 2015, 12:40:58 PM
by fcmf
3 Replies
Last post November 09, 2015, 11:01:58 PM
by Adrian G
17 Replies
Last post November 10, 2015, 02:01:18 PM
by fcmf
10 Replies
Last post March 07, 2016, 06:30:16 PM
by Littlefish
27 Replies
Last post April 30, 2016, 05:21:49 PM
by fcmf
16 Replies
Last post November 03, 2018, 10:41:26 AM
by Matt
17 Replies
Last post October 25, 2020, 02:34:24 PM
by Fishbeard

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: