Fish And Others

Author Topic: Fish and others  (Read 2426 times) 3 replies

Offline Manjr

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Fish and others
« on: May 02, 2016, 10:04:40 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I'm considering getting a few shrimp for my tank but really need to know if they will be safe in my tank. My water is pH 7.6, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, NitrAte 20, GH 7 and KH 3. The tank is 100 litre 76l x 30w x 40h and contains harlequins, cherry barbs, panda and dwarf Cory's, rosy tetras and black phantom tetras. Taking all this into consideration would shrimp be safe and healthy, would only certain shrimp be suitable for this tank. Rather than just ask if I can keep shrimp I felt it best to give all the info I have and hope someone more au fait with shrimp keeping would point me in the right direction. I have seen brightly coloured shrimp but they seem to be very small compared to some of my fish even though I try to keep only small fish species. I have quite a lot of plants including cabomba, Anubis's, cryptocornes and have a couple of fair sized bogwood pieces.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Harlequin Rasbora (7) - Otocinclus (3) - Black Widow Tetra (2) - Glowlight Tetra (6) - Honey Gourami (2) - Japonica Shrimp (3) - Diamond Tetra (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Fish and others
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 10:17:24 AM »
I have kept amano shrimp with fish like apistogrammas and dwarf chain loaches, so with plenty hiding places they should be OK. The only problems is their lack of colour and the fact they can't breed in fresh water.
The colourful cherry shrimps (red, orange, yellow and even blue) are smaller and could be picked off by the tetras or barbs. The baby shrimps would be eaten as they are tiny, but a few might make it.

You could try two or three cherry shrimp and see how they get on. If they thrive, buy some more.

Shrimps do need somewhere to hide away when they moult. Because their 'skin' is hard, they have to shed it as they grow and they are very vulnerable while the new 'skin' hardens. The cabomba, bing a fine leaved plants, would be a reasonable hiding place, as would small caves if you have those. And those shed skins look like a hollow dead shrimp on the bottom of the tank, a shock when you first see one of you don't know what it is  :)

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 10:22:04 AM »
Apart from advising that you avoid filter feeder shrimps (ones that obtain their food, microorganisms, directly from the water, for which there are rarely enough in the home aquarium) I would say that any shrimp would do very well indeed in your setup.  You might loose a few juveniles but your population would grow regarless as as shrimp are very good at escaping and hiding when they need to be, the fact that you have bogwood is also a plus as they feed on the organisms that grown on this.

I have been more successful with shrimp as I have started feeding them algae wafers/other sinking food, but they don't need it.

Also don't mix coloured shrimp as they offspring will just be brown.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 12:24:12 PM »
I did keep cherry shrimp in my 200l for a while but they were very rarely seen which is why I set up a tank specifically for them. I do have shrimp in the 200l still though, a common clear shrimp whose name eludes me atm. They are prolific breeders however and seem to be maintaining their population. That said I don't have any big fish in there, so that might have a lot to do with it.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Fish and others"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
8 Replies
Last post January 10, 2014, 10:45:54 PM
by SteveS
0 Replies
Last post February 25, 2014, 11:01:05 AM
by Robert
2 Replies
Last post October 10, 2014, 09:19:40 AM
by jesnon
7 Replies
Last post May 08, 2015, 08:33:20 PM
by Robert
14 Replies
Last post September 16, 2015, 01:07:32 PM
by Extreme_One
0 Replies
Last post January 14, 2016, 09:27:06 PM
by fcmf
0 Replies
Last post September 14, 2021, 03:21:50 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: