Algae Issues - Strings Of Algae All Over Tank!

Author Topic: Algae Issues - strings of algae all over tank!  (Read 6856 times) 27 replies

Offline jesnon

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Algae Issues - strings of algae all over tank!
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2016, 11:34:40 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
So my light cutting down seems to have been doing the trick in that my tank has much less algae now! Good news, about that but less good news about everything else. Yesterday I bought a new Anubis and some RO water so I did my normal water change and added the new plant. Whilst doing the water change lots of black bits were ALL over the tank but unfortunately my gravel cleaner seems to be on its way out as it wasn't working properly. I have no idea what the black bits were - it surely couldn't have been waste as I only have three shrimp and 1 fish so I suspect it was algae breaking down. After the water change everything seemed fine and there wasn't any issues with my readings but this morning I woke up to a dead fish  :( Gutting as this little guy had been my only survivor and seemed so hardy and happy. The MA still don't have my killis in stock (I guess that's a good thing though since I lost my fish the day after) so now I don't know what to do. Since I don't seem to be having any luck with the killis maybe I should give up and get different fish, perhaps a betta. Though now I have the three Amanos so don't think they're suited tank mates. I do still have the killis on order. I don't know  :( I'll be buying a new gravel siphon to try and get rid of all the black stuff which could have been the cause of my killis demise. Difficult timing as I'm away this weekend so worried about my Amanos. I don't know what's going wrong with this fish keeping business  :(

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2016, 12:14:58 PM »
Did you mix the RO water with tap water or remineralise it before you added it to the tank?

If not it's possible you had a pH crash.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2016, 01:04:03 PM »
Yes I did a 50:50 tap water to RO mix as I usually do so don't think that could be the cause  :-\

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2016, 01:24:18 PM »
If you'd done something horrible to the tank, the amanos would be trying to climb out, using any cables as a ladder. If they are still happily pootling round the water is fine.

It might just be that species of fish that is sensitive, or even the particular individuals you bought.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2016, 01:31:35 PM »
If you'd done something horrible to the tank, the amanos would be trying to climb out, using any cables as a ladder. If they are still happily pootling round the water is fine.

It might just be that species of fish that is sensitive, or even the particular individuals you bought.

In that case I think the tank is fine as my shrimps were happily gobbling their way around the tank as usual. Such a shame about my little killi though. Guess I'll have a think and decide whether to try different fish or give them one more go when my MA order comes in

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2016, 01:35:14 PM »
It might just be coincidence jesnon, was it old?

Offline jesnon

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2016, 04:26:43 PM »
It might just be coincidence jesnon, was it old?

I hope so. He wasn't very old but I have had him a few months and his previous tank mates died so they could have been a sickly bunch of fish

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2016, 05:21:49 PM »
Sorry to hear about this, Jesnon. Something similar happened to my pygmy cories - I'd had them for 5 months without a problem, then, over the course of the next 4 months, they depleted from 6 to 0. Although I have various theories for their demise (eg: once one died, they couldn't cope being in a smaller/depleting-sized group; being about half the size of their tankmates), and they did seem to succumb to dropsy / bacterial type infections / finrot, I do think there must have been a weakness among them for each of them to die so prematurely, yet the other tankmates all being fine and water quality consistently good. It is very frustrating, though, when this happens, so you have my sympathies.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Algae Issues - strings of algae all over tank!"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post May 15, 2013, 08:38:35 AM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post July 09, 2013, 08:00:44 PM
by Andy M
19 Replies
Last post July 18, 2013, 10:43:37 PM
by Chucklett
2 Replies
Last post September 08, 2014, 07:57:21 PM
by Mogwai
13 Replies
Last post November 19, 2014, 03:02:13 AM
by biffster
16 Replies
Last post November 03, 2018, 10:41:26 AM
by Matt
17 Replies
Last post October 25, 2020, 02:34:24 PM
by Fishbeard

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: