Algae.

Author Topic: Algae.  (Read 19108 times) 19 replies

Offline notungz

• Fishy Member
Algae.
« on: July 14, 2013, 12:03:38 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi All.

I have been having a problem with green algae on the glass of my 64 litre - 60cm tank.

This has only started since I removed my Bristlenose Plec and put him in one of my bigger tanks. Is there another fish that would do the job and is suitable for this size tank or is there something else that I could do?

I have seen tiny Bristlenose Plecs for sale at my local Pets at Home. Could I get one of those and then transfer it to a bigger tank when he gets too big for the small tank? 

Many thanks for your continued help. x

Offline ColinB

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Algae.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 12:12:58 PM »
Otocinclus's (Otocincli ??) do the same job (clickety-click) but they're notoriously difficult to get settled into your tank. A good read around with a google search will help and I know there's a few on here who keep them.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline notungz

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 12:34:34 PM »
Thanks Colin.

That seems quite a good choice. There are no problems with it on the Community Creator.

I'll probably wait to see if Guru Sue replies. If she agrees with you, then I think I will get one.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 12:59:13 PM »
There's one problem with otos in a tank that size. They need to be in a shoal not just one and the tank may not be able to grow enough algae to feed them all. Some people report they'll eat cucumber/cougette slices (courgette has more food value) or even sushi nori, but others report they'll eat nothing but the right kind of algae.
It depends on what kind of algae you have. I find that nerite snails eat the kind that grows like a short cropped lawn over the glass and decor, but they don't touch black brush algae or hair algae - I have both in my 50 litre along with 2 nerites.
In case you have no idea what I'm talking about, here is an algae ID giude.
The best way to control algae is to find out what's causing it and solve that. The link refers to tanks with lots of plants, added CO2 and fertiliser, so the remedies may not be practical for unplanted/lightlyplanted tanks.

Offline notungz

• Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 01:48:28 PM »
Thanks Sue. I knew you wouldn't let me down.  :)

Looking at that guide, I think it is Green Dust Algae that I have. I was rather hoping to get a fish to do the work, instead of having to resort to elbow grease.  ;)  The Community Creator doesn't mention a minimum number for Otos, but I am sure that you are correct.

Is there another fish that would do the job and earn his keep, so that I can remain my usual lazy self? lol.

Thank you. x   

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 02:33:14 PM »
Nerite snails. That's the kind of algae I meant by looking a bit like a closely cropped lawn. You can get nerites on-line; they do travel well in the post. If you can find them locally, even better. My Maidenhead Aquatics sometimes has them. Make sure they choose one that's actively moving or on the glass. Acclimate them like fish, though you can't do that when you get them in the post as they come packed in damp tissue. In this case I float a tub with a bit of tank water in it, and let the snail climb out by itself.
Make sure they are freshwater ones not marine ones. Two would be plenty for a 60 litre tank. If you have a male and female, they will lay eggs but they don't hatch. Or if they do, the baby snails die as they need to develop in salt water so no snail population explosion.

Apple snails are almost as good.

Offline Chucklett

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 08:44:24 PM »
I was rather hoping to get a fish to do the work, instead of having to resort to elbow grease

Doing that does not solve the problem - only masks it. It would be a good idea to identify the cause and rectify it.

I dont know about green dust algae, but algae can be caused by overfeeding which would definitely need to be rectified, or it could be that the lights are on for too long which is easily rectified, and so on.

Finding the cause and rectifying it does not mean you cant have algae-eaters in your tank. If you like a fish and it is compatible to your setup & its inhabitants then you can go ahead and get it/them. Otocinclus are a slight exception in as much as they generally NEED brown algae in their diet. Supplements (algae wafers) on their own do not usually suffice. By the way, Otos should be in a shoal of at least 6.

;)

EDIT: Another afterthought - have you tried cleaning the glass with a kitchen scouring pad? Make sure it is a new one and rinse it under the tap first. Use the scourer side, not the sponge side. You may find your algae cleans off very easily - no elbow grease needed!

Tip: Do this right before a water change. I do the inside of both my tanks like this every week when doing a water change, though I never clean all the glass - I have algae eaters!

Offline Gaynor

• Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 11:14:54 PM »
I get the green dust algae, though luckily my snails keep it mostly under control.  I do tend to give the front pane of the tank a wipe over when I do a water change, this way the snails only have to pay attention to the decorations and other panes.  It isn't difficult stuff to clean off, just a quick wipe over with a scourer and the tank water.

On that note, is it okay to use kitchen scourers, I've read everywhere that only the aquarium ones will do as kitchen ones have chemicals in them that could be harmful to fish?

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 08:35:45 AM »
Kitchen ones are fine as long as they aren't impregnated with detergent etc. I have the ones that look like a ball of knitted brightly coloured plastic thread. These

Some people even use these as biological media in external filters  :D

Offline jesnon

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 10:41:56 AM »
Hmm just recently I've been getting some algae growing on my tank more, I hadn't even thought of it to be problematic. I've always had a bit on one of the rocks I have, I just scrubbed it with one of the cheap toothbrushes I bought for my tank and it's super shiny now. The rest of my tank is fine except the back panel has some hairy strands on from time to time and currently some green algae. The rest of the tank is perfectly clear. Is this a problem I need to rectify??

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Chucklett

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013, 11:29:52 AM »
Hi Jesnon,

No, its not necessarily a problem like I mentioned in my previous post (overfeeding, etc).

I always get a little more algae in the summer because the sun is higher in the sky and so hits the tanks for a longer period when it comes round in the afternoons. Algae loves direct sunlight. And with the heat we've had recently, your tanks are likely to be warmer than usual anyway. Ive struggled to keep mine below 27.5 degrees, even at night, and I have a fan on each of them. They're usually 24 and 25. The warmer water will also aid algae growth.

"Problematic Algae" that needs addressing, is excess algae under normal conditions.

;)

Offline jesnon

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2013, 11:41:17 AM »
Ahh OK brilliant! Think I'm all good then!

My tank is in a normally very light room anyway - my kitchen / lounge / dining room, it has large windows and glass door to my balcony, but I somehow managed to put it in a spot that doesn't seem to get *too* much light, so I've not had any problems with its location so far. I haven't noticed any increase in temperature... but that might be because my thermometer is broken, I've never really trusted it... still it doesn't seem much hotter than usual to the touch so hopefully it's OK.

Hopefully when I move I can find a similar spot in my new house so that won't be problematic! I have to say I'm not looking forward to moving my tank!

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -

Offline Gaynor

• Fishy Member
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2013, 12:07:32 PM »
Thanks Sue, I'll get some of those, way cheaper than the ones specially for aquariums.   :)

Offline Chucklett

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2013, 01:48:17 PM »
I have to say I'm not looking forward to moving my tank!

Ah, I warn you that moving the tank will be as stressful in itself as the house-move! Sorry, but it is  :-\ When the time comes, you just have to do your best and pray. Think about how you're going to do it, go through it methodically in your mind. I found it helpful to write a basic "plan-of-action" and made sure I had everything I needed at the ready before I started (a list of "tools" is also helpful - buckets, nets, etc, etc. May sound daft, but its surprising what you may forget when stressed out).

The first time I stripped down one of my tanks, I discovered that it would have been better to have uprooted the plants a day beforehand. Trying to catch fish in dirty water is not funny  ;D

Offline notungz

• Fishy Member
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2013, 06:51:41 PM »
I have been using to kitchen scourer to keep it under control. However, I have just ordered some snails from eBay. Hopefully they will do the work for me.  ;)

It might be that I have the lights on too much. Normally 18 to 20 hours a day. (I don't sleep much). Not sure about over-feeding. They seem to eat it all within 2 or 3 minutes. 

Offline Sue

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2013, 07:08:59 PM »
18 to 20 hours is far too long. Depending on what kind of plants you have, something like 6 to 8 hours would be fine, or 10 hours if you have lots of plants that need good light.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2013, 09:46:11 PM »
I do 13½ hours on the lights.... but I'm not too fussed about algae. I take it as natural and just clean it off the glass. Dave the Dinosaur is growing lots of interesting stuff on him.  ;D

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Chucklett

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2013, 11:10:34 PM »
I once read that plants dont benefit from anything over 12 hours (I think it was 12) of light. The excess will certainly promote algae. I dont know how true that is and nor can I remember where I read it!

18 - 20 hours is VERY excessive. You may need to look up on that - I have no idea if such a long period could be detrimental in any way, but I'd say it is certainly one of the causes of your algae.

EDIT: Afterthought (as usual!)
How is the temperature in your tank during this weather? The lights will warm the water up - some lights will warm it up more than other lights, but on top of the weather we're having, your 18-20 hours per day may prove detrimental to the tanks temp........ you may want to keep a close eye on it.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2013, 04:42:56 PM »
I have to say I'm not looking forward to moving my tank!

Ah, I warn you that moving the tank will be as stressful in itself as the house-move! Sorry, but it is  :-\ When the time comes, you just have to do your best and pray. Think about how you're going to do it, go through it methodically in your mind. I found it helpful to write a basic "plan-of-action" and made sure I had everything I needed at the ready before I started (a list of "tools" is also helpful - buckets, nets, etc, etc. May sound daft, but its surprising what you may forget when stressed out).

The first time I stripped down one of my tanks, I discovered that it would have been better to have uprooted the plants a day beforehand. Trying to catch fish in dirty water is not funny  ;D

Thanks for this Chucklett! Yes I have a feeling it's going to be one of the most stressful aspects of the move! Good idea about the plan of action. I think what I'm hoping to do is move almost everything except the fish tank, and then move the tank on a separate day where I'm not going to be distracted by everything else that's going on. The problem is the stand for the tank is quite big too so this might be a problem from the outset!

Offline Chucklett

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2013, 10:43:37 PM »
Definitely move the tank on a separate day if you can. You can concentrate solely on what you're doing and thus more likely to have a smooth run. Good luck  ;)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Algae."

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post May 15, 2013, 08:38:35 AM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post July 09, 2013, 08:00:44 PM
by Andy M
4 Replies
Last post October 04, 2013, 09:27:27 PM
by jesnon
2 Replies
Last post November 24, 2013, 09:37:30 PM
by george
3 Replies
Last post May 03, 2014, 01:54:16 PM
by louking13
2 Replies
Last post September 08, 2014, 07:57:21 PM
by Mogwai
27 Replies
Last post April 30, 2016, 05:21:49 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: