Agressive Gourami

Author Topic: Agressive Gourami  (Read 2968 times) 4 replies

Offline Lellynelly

• Fishy Member
Agressive Gourami
« on: February 01, 2014, 07:38:49 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I have a community tank with cardinal tetras, harlequin rasboras, 2 plecs, 2 yoyo loaches, 1 Platy, 1 Molly, and I Banded Gourami. I did have several mollies, 2 Platys, and 2 Gouramis. But over the last year some have died. I added the Gouramis last August. In the Autumn i noticed my last remaining Guppy had Lost it's anal fin and most of it's tail. We don't know what happened and about a month later it died - well, disappeared, I never found the body. Over the last month I have noticed that the gourami spends a lot of its time chasing the molly around the tank, sometimes at quite a speed.  I didn't think that Gouramis were supposed to be aggressive. Could it have been that who attacked the Guppy? Why is it pestering the Molly? and is there anything I can do about it.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Agressive Gourami
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 12:09:23 PM »
Gouramis can be very aggressive, depending on the species. For example, the three-spot varieties (gold, opaline etc) are renowned for their aggression, and dwarfs can be quite nasty too.

You say yours is a banded gourami - do you mean this fish? Or possibly the wild coloured (ie striped) variety of dwarf gourami? The banded gourami doesn't have a reputation for aggression although there is always the chance of a rogue fish in any species.

The other thing to check is the tank size as some otherwise peaceful fish can turn nasty if the tank is too small. The recommended minimum for banded gouramis is 71 litres, with a length of at least 75cm.

As for what to do, if a fish is harassing others, the only real choice is to rehome either the aggressor or the victims, I'm afraid. This means taking it back to a shop, giving it away or getting another tank.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 01:23:01 PM »
You might also look at your yoyo loaches as possible suspects with regard to your guppies. They are known nippers and are not really recommended as community mates for guppies. Both they and the plecs are also really "big tank" fish, needing even more space than the gourami.

Gouramis belong to the Anabantidae, together with bettas and paradise fish among others. Many of these are essentially timid fish which like their own space, a quiet place where they feel safe. If you have a very open tank, with few or no plants (real or artificial) it is possible that the gourami feels constantly exposed and responds by aggressively chasing other fish. "Out of sight, out of mind" is far more true for fish than for people! It is generally recommended that you supply "broken lines of sight", i.e. plants or other decoration arranged such that fish can find places where they are out of sight of other fish, where they will be more relaxed and so less aggressive. Gouramis often stay near the surface and floating plants to shelter under might be useful.

Although you say you have a community tank, it seems to be a bit of an odd mixture, with fish which are not that likely to get on with each other and/or really need different conditions (e.g cardinal tetra and molly).

Offline Lellynelly

• Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 02:10:05 PM »
Hi Richard, Hi Sue. Many thanks for your replies Re: id, I scoured my tropical fish books, and the internet and the banded Gourami is the only one that looks just like it, with the blue fins with the orange border - none of the others are quite as colourful. I have had Mollies, tetras, Harlequins, guppies, bristle-nosed plecs and Yoyo Loaches right from the start - they are all at least 3 years old and they have always been very peaceful and appeared happy. It's only the arrival of the Gourami that seems to have upset the balance. You do have a point about plants though. they have gradually been eaten over time so there aren't many left. Perhaps I will get some more tomorrow and see if it makes a difference. Much as I would like a second tank I don't have enough power sockets! The tank is 120 litres

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 03:45:23 PM »
Now that I read your post more closely:

I agree with Richard about the loaches. They also need to be in a shoal of at least 5, with more being better. And a 5 foot tank. As with most fish, if they are not kept in conditions they like (eg not enough of them) they can be aggressive. It could be that the loaches have only recently reached the size where they have begun to feel cramped, and their behaviour then changed. Now that I've noticed you mentioned the loaches, they are the number one suspect for the disappearing guppies.
And if the loaches are upsetting the gourami, that could be attacking the other fish because it is stressed.

The reason that Richard said that cardinals and mollies do not go well together is that cardinals much prefer soft acid water while mollies like it hard and alkaline; some types of molly can even live quite happily in full marine water. Mollies can develop a condition called the shimmies if the water isn't hard enough.
Platies also like hard alkaline water, as do most of the common livebearers.

Richard is a plant expert; listen to him on the subject!

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Agressive Gourami"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post February 16, 2015, 12:37:47 PM
by bferg4
2 Replies
Last post June 20, 2015, 09:11:33 PM
by Adrian G
20 Replies
Last post September 02, 2015, 09:18:24 PM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post September 26, 2015, 01:04:23 AM
by Fiona
14 Replies
Last post October 08, 2016, 01:10:32 PM
by Trish
9 Replies
Last post March 21, 2017, 07:46:09 PM
by Trish
9 Replies
Last post December 15, 2017, 11:37:50 PM
by Hampalong

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: