Aggressive Glowlight Danio

Author Topic: Aggressive Glowlight Danio  (Read 15608 times) 4 replies

TigzFish

Aggressive Glowlight Danio
« on: December 05, 2012, 07:57:55 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi all,

I am reluctant to call this a problem, more of an observation of behavoir that has developed over a number of weeks.

It seems that one of my Glowlight Danio's (a group of 5 purchased back in July this year), is displaying a great deal of aggression towards his tankmates.  He is probably the largest of the 5 Glowlight Danio's (and I assume a male as the body is quite slender).  He turns quite dark in colour (almost black) and chases other Danio's around the tank for many minutes at a time.

I have even spotted him briefly chasing after Glowlight Tetra's and to a lesser extent my Vietnamese WCMM too.

From reading up around the web, I've learned that the darkening in colour and the chasing around is either due to spawning or stamping his dominance over his shoal. I'm ruling out spawning as it seems to have been going on for a good month now.

I'm curious as to whether anyone else is familiar with this, and if I should be at all concerned.  So far there does not seem to be any attempt to injure other fishes.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Aggressive Glowlight Danio
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 08:25:56 AM »
It can happen that you get an aggressive 'peaceful' fish. It is possible that getting more of them might help, that's a trick used for fish like tiger barbs. The idea with them is that if there aren't enough of them, they start to include other species as part of the shoal and bully them too so increasing the number of tigers keeps the aggression among just themselves.
You may not want/have room for more glowlights. All I can suggest is keep an eye on the aggressive one, and if it starts to cause more serious problems deal with it then. Maybe give it away to someone with a big shoal of them?

TigzFish

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 09:23:33 AM »
Thanks Sue,

I wouldn't be able to increase the numbers without getting rid of some other fish first, so your idea of giving him to someone with a bigger shoal (if needs be) is a good idea. I'll keep a watch on him.

TigzFish

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 06:54:14 PM »
I thought I'd make an update to this subject since I have moved over the stock to my 100cm tank.

The observations about a single male being aggressive has grown much worse and as a result I have been able to 'sex' the 5 Glowlight Danios.  There are 4 males and 1 female.  I do have another female currently in my isolation tank, but she is a lot smaller.

The 4 males are pretty much aggressive with each other all the time that the lights are on, and the other fish are very wary.  The lone female Glowlight Danio is very reclusive and I hardly ever see her in open water.  I really don't want this kind of aggression so I think my best course of action is to ask my LFS if they will take 3 males from me.  I'll replace them with females.

I don't think putting in a single extra female (giving 2 female and 4 male) is going to help.

What do you think?

TigzFish

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 07:42:54 PM »
It's now been a week since I added the extra female Glowlight Danio into the existing shoal of 4 males and 1 female.  Gradually over this week I have noticed a distinct change in aggression from the males, who seem to be less prone to chase each other all over the tank.

I'm now even starting to see the older female coming out to swim with her surrogate sister.  The shoaling of the group is happening a lot more frequently, and overall things have settled down quite a bit.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Aggressive Glowlight Danio"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
2 Replies
Last post March 21, 2013, 01:23:22 PM
by Narm1971
3 Replies
Last post January 15, 2016, 09:38:32 PM
by fruitbat
15 Replies
Last post February 11, 2017, 12:17:06 PM
by MarquisMirage
8 Replies
Last post April 29, 2017, 09:21:13 PM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post May 06, 2017, 11:21:13 AM
by MarquisMirage
5 Replies
Last post July 27, 2017, 06:55:42 PM
by fcmf
11 Replies
Last post July 03, 2018, 05:14:00 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: