Author Topic: Adding more fish  (Read 3312 times) 14 replies

Offline fish-friends

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
Adding more fish
« on: March 13, 2017, 08:13:12 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Morning everyone  :wave:
I'm going to get a couple more shrimp today as they are doing really well in my tank  :) and I was going to add a few more fish, I've used the fish calculator to see my options and I only have room for one of my two options I currently have
6 flame tetras & 4 albino corys
I was either going to add 2 more flame tetras & 2 more albino corys
Making it a tank with 2 species & shrimp
Or adding 4 dwarf  rainbows   
I always originally wanted the dwarf rainbows, but I'm wondering if the kinder option is to add to my tetras & corys?
 :fishy1:

Offline adenann

• Fishy Member
Re: Adding more fish
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 09:11:06 AM »
 :wave:
It depends on whether you're a "small number of many species" or a "larger numbers of less species" person. I'm on the more variety side of these opposing views but there are plenty of people on this site that will disagree with me! It's personal choice.
However, we've been looking at adding replacements for losses we've had along the way and advice from LFSs suggests you need to be mindful when adding new members to an existing shoal. Sometimes the newcomers don't get accepted causing stress throughout the whole aquarium. Maybe your best option is to just add the Rainbows.

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 09:43:55 AM »
I've yet to experience trouble adding fish to a shoal, I've done it with Harlequins and neon tetras. I am in the large number of few shoals crowd, so that's what I would do personally. However it's entirely up to you.

Adding 4 rainbows will give you 3 shoals of the minimum recommended amount of fish per shoal, according to the fish profiles. I have based this on the recommended minimum of panda or salt n pepper Corey's since the albinos aren't there.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 09:54:44 AM »
I would also get more of the fish you already have.

Dwarf rainbows are active fish and I would not put them in a 40 cm long tank. I know Seriously Fish gives a minimum tank length of 60 cm, but I've had this fish in a 107 cm long tank and they used all that length.

Offline fish-friends

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 11:03:45 AM »
Thank you all for your replies  :)
I really love the rainbows always wanted the ones with yellow on, but my tank being a cube does limit me  :(
I lost 3 fish in total while setting up, but fingers crossed everyone seems happy so I don't want to do anything to stress my current fish out  :fishy1: 

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 12:15:46 PM »
Do you mean boesman's rainbows? They are big fish - I know the profile on here says 75 cm tank but the profiles on here are a bit out of date. Seriously Fish says minimum tank length 120 cm.

If you ever get a big tank they would be fine - provided you have hard water  :)

Offline fish-friends

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 02:33:57 PM »
The ones I wanted we're dwarf ones, up to 10 cm but like you say still not small enough, every bit of advice you have previously given me has been very useful so I added the two tetras & two more shrimp will get two more albino corys next week then my tank is finished  :)
They actually look lovely in the group of 8 and seem to have been excepted into the shoal already
I could fit double the length on my sideboard very tempting!! I'm really enjoying keeping fish  :fishy1:

Offline Sue

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 02:49:06 PM »
You have me intrigued now.

The fish I know of as dwarf rainbowfish are Melanotaenia praecox, http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/fish/dwarf-rainbowfish.html and http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/search/melanotaenia+praecox but they are pale blue. Well, females have yellowish fins but that's the only yellow on them. And they don't grow to 10 cm. These are the fish I once had.

Which species is it you like, the ones with yellow on them?

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 06:57:39 PM »
I think you're probably referring to the dwarf neon rainbowfish ie the neon variety as they are indeed lovely with a yellowish shimmer, like the first of the three pics on here http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/melanotaenia-praecox/ - I saw them recently in the LFS and was tempted (if I had a larger tank or at least more space in my current one).

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 08:41:27 PM »

I could fit double the length on my sideboard very tempting!! I'm really enjoying keeping fish  :fishy1:

There's your answer - another tank/bigger tank.
Come and join me on the dark side of multiple tank syndrome.  ;D

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2017, 09:46:58 PM »

There's your answer - another tank/bigger tank.
Come and join me on the dark side of multiple tank syndrome.  ;D

Perfect solution!  :cheers:

Offline fish-friends

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2017, 11:00:12 PM »
Yes sorry looking at the Links it's the dwarf neon, I love the colours, I think it was the right choice to add to my tetra in this tank though, there colours have really come out, I can't  believe the difference between them now and when I first got them, the red was barely there now it's a lovely bright/dark red colour :)
I've been thinking I could move the little tank and have two,  :fishy1: :fishy1:
This was supposed to be a Christmas present for my son but I've definitely took over,
My partner tells me off for watching the fish and not concentrating on the TV  :rotfl:
I

Offline fish-friends

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2017, 11:07:09 PM »
So many beautiful fish, only way to accomadate is another tank  :)

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2017, 08:02:11 AM »
My thoughts exactly.  ;D
You do have your family to stop you from the worst of MTS. I realised it was getting bad for me just before Christmas when I was have 2 more tanks delivered by MA, and one of the guys said "this is what my living room would look like if I lived on my own".  :-[
Perhaps I'll update my signature/profile soon, which will show you the danger of uninhibited MTS.  :o
It's great to hear that your fish have settled and are now showing their colours. Sometimes it's nice to see the same fish in a shop tank, as it makes you realise how much your own fish have come on in their colours, markings, etc.  8)

Offline fish-friends

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2017, 10:13:48 PM »
Yes I agree it's great to see how much happier they are in their new home, I know I feel really sorry for the others that have to stay in the shop, I didn't even know flame tetras were green thought they were silver until their colours all came out  :)
I think my friends are bored of my fish talk & pictures! !  :fishy1: :fishy1:

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Adding more fish "

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post December 12, 2012, 10:11:02 AM
by jowjow1976
8 Replies
Last post October 13, 2014, 05:30:18 PM
by Mogwai
0 Replies
Last post December 28, 2014, 02:19:33 PM
by bferg4
9 Replies
Last post February 21, 2015, 05:50:42 PM
by sunshine
11 Replies
Last post April 03, 2015, 12:07:48 PM
by Hannspree
19 Replies
Last post June 27, 2015, 10:50:05 AM
by Sue
14 Replies
Last post September 16, 2015, 01:07:32 PM
by Extreme_One

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: