A Suitable Replacement For The Shark?

Author Topic: A suitable replacement for the shark?  (Read 8029 times) 23 replies

Offline Cazzybaby

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
A suitable replacement for the shark?
« on: June 02, 2014, 09:16:47 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I'm pretty sure I'm going to give my ruby shark to the fish shop tomorrow what with all the chasing he has been doing(he must know cause he is keeping a low profile now)  ::)  I was wondering about what I could replace him with. He is constantly scavenging round the plants and ornaments when he isn't being naughty. I have a small plec,a amano shrimp, and a tiny fish that I thought was a baby plec but I'm not sure, it's about half the size of my little finger.
What peacefull creature or fish could I replace him with? Ideally something nice or interesting to look at and small enough for a 1 metre tank

Offline SteveS

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • With apologies to M.C.Escher
Re: A suitable replacement for the shark?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 09:05:25 AM »
Saying you have a "Plec" doesn't really help us a great deal. There are many different types of Plec. Belonging to the family Loricariidae they are generally sucker-mouthed and covered with scaly plates. According to the Oracle Wikipedia, there are currently 680 species identified! These vary greatly by habit, size and diet and without you knowing which one you have, it becomes difficult to select suitable tank-mates. Incidentally, it also becomes more difficult for you to provide adequate care for it too. Needless to say "tiny fish that I thought was a baby plec but I'm not sure, it's about half the size of my little finger" isn't really an adequate identification of your other fish, for your needs or ours, if we are to assist you.

Planet-Catfish may help you in identifying your mysterious Plec. You have to rely on google-image search for your other fish unless you can post a decent photo of the little beastie on here. Once we know what you have, we can give you some ideas on what to add.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Cazzybaby

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 09:30:09 AM »
Bristle nose plec and the other is either a baby bristle nose or an otto

Offline ColinB

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 10:40:25 AM »
What peacefull creature or fish could I replace him with? Ideally something nice or interesting to look at and small enough for a 1 metre tank

Here's an idea for a peaceful and interesting fish for a 1m tank; a Pearl Gourami....

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Cazzybaby

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 10:56:46 AM »
Does it clean up too?

Offline ColinB

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 11:35:32 AM »
Nope.... that's your job! :))

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline ColinB

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 11:43:00 AM »
Ah.... the scavenging bit wasn't on the requirement list. So.... how about a Synodontis Catfish...

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 01:16:46 PM »
According to the Oracle Wikipedia

Thought Sue was the Oracle?  :o

Offline Resa

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 01:20:02 PM »

[/quote]

[/quote]

No,no...Sue is a Guru ;)

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline ColinB

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 01:21:27 PM »
This 'quote' things awfully confusing, eh? :rotfl:

Offline Resa

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2014, 01:24:50 PM »
Yeah, yeah Steve....I know....bloody quoty things have gone Pete Tong again :vcross:

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline Resa

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2014, 01:30:02 PM »
This 'quote' things awfully confusing, eh? :rotfl:
It's by pretending, to not being able to do something fairly simple, like quoty things, that we allow menfolk to feel 'manly' and superior beings... :rotfl:

.....seriously though, what hope have I got of ever being able to do a linky thing :-[ :-[ :-[

Offline Cazzybaby

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2014, 04:31:53 PM »
Yes I that's why I'm asking about a replacement for him, him being a scavenger /cleaner upper type of fish. 

Offline ColinB

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2014, 05:38:39 PM »
Yes I that's why I'm asking about a replacement for him, him being a scavenger /cleaner upper type of fish.

Ooo look - you forgot the bit where you say "Thank you for trying to help".

...and I say "Don't mention it".

...but you didn't. *sigh*

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2014, 06:08:59 PM »

No,no...Sue is a Guru ;)

Ah right - so what are Colin & Steve??  ;D

Offline ColinB

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2014, 06:19:29 PM »
Can I be a yogi, please....

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2014, 06:33:26 PM »
Can I be a yogi, please....

Smarter than the average bear?? Nice selfie by the way!  ;D

Offline Cazzybaby

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2014, 07:33:56 PM »
Colin if you care to look at any of my previous posts I always say thanks etc but I've had sarcastic comments from the outset so why should I?
I come here for advice that I can trust not to be spoken down to. I also try to offer advice where I can too.

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2014, 08:18:43 PM »
I think Colin's post was a bit tongue-in-cheek Cazzy - you'll find that most regular forum users on here have a tendency towards daftness (apart from me of course - all my posts are deadly serious  ::) ) but there's usually a dollop of good advice in the mix!  ;)

Offline Resa

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2014, 09:11:56 PM »

Ah right - so what are Colin & Steve??  ;D

I'm not sure I'm allowed to write those sort of words on here :rotfl:

Mmm....let me see....Steve is a prefect/policeman and can be very strict if you write stuff off thread, (a bit like this one has gone :-[) He can be quite scary, but I think he's a pussycat deep down ;) and Colin, is the Master of links and daft cartoons....and tongue-in-cheekiness :P
Having said that, they are both extremely knowledgeable and always ready to help....plus they put up with me...but then I am lovely ;)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "A suitable replacement for the shark?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
10 Replies
Last post January 23, 2013, 03:45:31 PM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post January 04, 2016, 04:06:27 PM
by Arniemar
26 Replies
Last post July 12, 2016, 05:21:33 PM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post July 17, 2016, 04:57:53 PM
by Fiona
8 Replies
Last post September 19, 2017, 09:46:19 PM
by Matt
2 Replies
Last post October 10, 2018, 12:56:30 PM
by Littlefish
21 Replies
Last post January 27, 2021, 10:08:48 PM
by Afterburner

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: