Upgraded Dwarf Puffer Tank - Littlefish

Author Topic: Upgraded dwarf puffer tank - Littlefish  (Read 11187 times) 59 replies

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka Donna
Re: Upgraded dwarf puffer tank - Littlefish
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2016, 06:57:11 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Many thanks.
I am sitting down with a pear cider. It's been a very long day.
I now have 13 puffers in their new tank. I cought each one and bagged it individually so that I could have a really good look at them and try to work out the males and females. I counted 6 without a belly stripe, so going with female. I counted 4 with obvious belly stripes, including the 2 biggest, who I knew were dominant males. I counted 3 with very light stripes. Anyway, I'm going with 7 males and 6 females. I will eventually get another 2 females to bring my total to 15 in the tank.
On a very happy note, which may be of interest to @fcmf I paid close attention to Sherbon and Humbug. Sherbon is female and Humbug is male. Quite cute considering they were re-homed together.  ;D
I'll give them a day or so to settle, then try to get some pictures of all of them/some of them in their new home.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2016, 07:57:12 PM »
Ooooh, this is all soooooooo exciting - tank looks lovely and the puffers won't fail to be happy in their new environment. Thanks for the update on S&H too. Wow - a tank of 15 dwarf puffers sounds amazing. Looking forward to hear all about what they've been up to since arrival in their new home/palace, as well as the pics.
 :fishy1: :fishy1:

Offline Trish

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2016, 08:19:34 AM »
Looks fantastic.........want one!

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2016, 08:42:32 AM »
Thanks.  ;D
I have been planning this tank since I ordered it. I've been buying wood, plants & decor since then, as well as deciding what would have to be moved from their original tank. I love watching my puffers, and enjoy feeding time, so wanted to put as much as I could into their tank to keep them happy and occupied, as well as keeping a couple of small feeding areas at the front to make cleaning up after meals easier.
It's also the first time I've used an external filter on a tank, and one of the guys from MA offered to come over and help if I had any problems, so quite chuffed that I managed to set the filter up without too much fuss.
I had 2 x 200L internal filters in the old tank, so put one in each of the temporary tanks. I have put all the media from one filter into the external filter, and the other is in the tank for now.
I've had a quick look at the tank this morning, and several of the puffers swam to the front in their usual "where is my breakfast" manner, so I'm hoping that they are settling in. I'll keep a close eye on them for the next few weeks to see if there are any minor adjustment I will need to make to the tank, but for now I'm quite pleased with how it has gone.  :)
I will post pics later.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2016, 07:49:48 PM »
I put the lights on for the first time in the new dwarf puffer tank. They don't take too long to get used to it.
They are always interested in their bloodworms, and today is no exception. Some of them go exploring after a few worms.
I admit to have taken nearly 100 pics just to get these few where the puffers are not just tiny blurs shooting past. I know my pics aren't great, but really, dwarf puffers are a nightmare for photos. Honest, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Offline Sue

« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2016, 08:15:31 PM »
They are so cute  :))  If I had harder water they'd be high on my list.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2016, 08:19:02 PM »
Sue beat me to it - this is where I get jealous of those with hard water (I have noticed my water company has changed what their website says recently though and it seems my water is getting harder :o )

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2016, 08:26:32 PM »
They are adorable little things, and I am so glad that I got them. They are so inquisitive they are great to watch as they go around exploring the tank.
As much as I was disappointed to realise that some of my favourite fish are soft water species, I admit that when it comes to dwarf puffers, it is one of the times that I am thrilled to live in a hard water area.  ;D

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2016, 08:31:33 PM »
I "third" the two comments above. When I've seen them in the LFS, and on YouTube videos, it's the way they comport themselves that I find fascinating eg as though they're flashing their eyelids and then circling round like a 'plane lining up and then levelling itself out horizontally for the descent onto a runway.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2016, 08:40:01 PM »
Loving the plane analogy - such a good description, though I now can't stop thinking of them as being like little blimps...  :fishy1:

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2016, 08:57:58 PM »
They are like little blimps.
One of the articles I read before getting any dwarf puffers decribed them as "having the manouverability of an inhebriated cow". They are not graceful like a lot of other fish, but that adds to their charm.  ;D

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2016, 12:47:56 PM »
Just had the chance to catch up with the piccies of your new tank @Littlefish. Superb tank Donna, it looks amazing!! I bet the little guys and gals love it.  :cheers:

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2016, 06:23:09 PM »
Thanks Fiona. The gang seem to be enjoying themselves in their larger home. The plants are growing like crazy and I'm going to have to start trimming them. I'm quite pleased with the way it has turned out and so glad that the fish settled in almost immediately. I'm going to get another 2 puffers to take the total to 15, then the tank is done. Well, done apart from adding a few extra bits of wood that are unusual shapes, and perhaps a couple more plants - they have plenty of open space, so a few extra bits to explore over the next few weeks will keep them entertained.  ;D

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2016, 09:14:27 PM »
After getting a lot of black brush algae on the wood, and some brown diatoms on other surfaces in the tank, I decided to make some changes.
I cleaned the wood and added moss to most of it. I also put some moss on the rocky thingy (technical term) at the back, and on some wood which I stood up at the back.
I have also added a few more plants throughout the tank, and hope it wont be long before the carpet plants at the front start to grow together.
I have added some fertiliser and liquid carbon in the hope that it gives everything a good start.
The gang seem to be enjoying exploring the changes.
Even though they are exploring, they still enjoy feeding time.
It's always entertaining when any of them get in the feeding pod, rather than eating the bloodworms from the outside. They sometimes look a little guilty when coming back out of the pod after finishing, but this little lady has gone for the "Queen of the Pod" pose instead.  ;D

Offline Andy The Minion

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2016, 09:50:40 PM »
@Littlefish I have only just discovered this thread - I was in the middle of the tank building when you started the post and missed it.
Anyway belatedly - what an absolutely fantastic tank..... but the bath?!!
Doesn't the loofa get snagged in the wood? and splinters, I dread to think.

You could stock it with those poor sucking loaches they were dragged around shopping centres a couple of years ago and have the cleanest feet in Christendom?

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2016, 10:08:57 PM »
@Andy the minion not a bad idea about stocking the bath with those fish.  ;D And there I was thinking I was running out of room for more fish.
Luckily I also have a small shower room, so the bathroom is often filled with fish-related items.

Offline Andy The Minion

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2016, 10:45:12 PM »
Dont forget the cold water tank for goldfish...........or the cysterns? Nope you have lots more room

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2016, 07:53:47 AM »
Found these - several options......

http://www.heatandplumb.com/articles/The_Fish_Tank_Toilet.html
http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/blog/articles/15-ridiculous-fish-tanks

Although I have to admit that they generally left me feeling a bit  ???  :o  :sick:  :-\

Offline Andy The Minion

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2016, 02:58:25 PM »
@Littlefish
I am apauled ! Although the phone box is along the right lines. You could silicone the bathroom door closed and block the plughole. Now that would give you some scope A full size mangrove biotype perhaps?

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2016, 09:07:12 PM »
Fair point...and I am growing some red mangrove trees in containers on the windowsill, just in case I'm lucky enough to get some mudskippers in the future.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Upgraded dwarf puffer tank - Littlefish"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post May 06, 2015, 07:32:26 PM
by Richard W
30 Replies
Last post March 26, 2016, 02:15:17 PM
by Littlefish
3 Replies
Last post April 02, 2016, 09:21:10 AM
by Sue
13 Replies
Last post April 26, 2016, 10:34:23 AM
by Littlefish
24 Replies
Last post May 23, 2016, 10:45:57 AM
by Fiona
10 Replies
Last post September 22, 2016, 08:00:12 PM
by fcmf
37 Replies
Last post January 05, 2017, 08:01:05 AM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: