Trenchy's Tanks

Author Topic: Trenchy's Tanks  (Read 4926 times) 7 replies

Offline TrenchyLs

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Trenchy's Tanks
« on: June 26, 2017, 07:38:07 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
So,I bit the bullet a month ago and bought a 34l Fluval Flex.  A couple of weeks spent ordering/fitting extras to make this small tank suitable for small fish (what were Fluval thinking?) and boost the filtration system.  Then another fortnight to cycle (using some BioHome from my other tank really sped things up).

Cycle completed on Thursday so I headed out on a 60 mile round trip on Saturday to buy the Celestial Pearl Danios that I've wanted since the first picture I saw!
Back again on Sunday to swap one poor little fella with a crooked spine and malformed fins who was not long for this world.  To make the trip worthwhile I bought a couple more (I now have 10) and picked up a baker's dozen of Red Cherry shrimp from someone selling them cheap on ebay!

So, after 120 miles and too many pounds I have this:

The CPDs have exceeded my expectations. The poor little scared grey things (they were in a tank full of Tiger Barbs :yikes:) have quickly settled in and coloured up beautifully.  They're supposed to be timid, but they spend most of their time in the open water, hanging about and looking lovely!

As they were so faded in the shop it wasn't easy to sex them so I do have a possible problem as it looks like I have only 2 (maybe 3 ) females.  So far there has been a fair bit of displaying between the boys, especially the two largest but no fisticuffs yet.  I'll keep a close eye on them though.

On the other hand, the shrimps have gone into stealth mode!  I know 12 went in, but after a couple of hours they all dissapeared and I'm lucky if I can see two at any time.  Unfortunately I found number 13 dead on the table this morning.  There is no way he could have escaped from the tank where i found him, so i can only assume he flipped himself out of the net yesterday and I didn't notice  :(

Offline TrenchyLs

• Fishy Member
Re: Trenchy's Tanks
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 07:46:36 PM »
And to keep things in one place, I'll add a couple of shots of my 120L tank which is coming along nicely.

Earliest shot I have - 27 April

How it looked when I joined - 02 May

And today.  I'm going to have to replant everything soon as its getting a bit crowded in that corner!

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 08:24:41 PM »
Both tanks are looking good  :)

The plants in the bigger tank have really taken off....

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 08:29:19 PM »
I love your 34l CPD and shrimp tank. :cheers:  It's a very simple but hugely effective design.

Shrimp can walk a fair distance after an escape and will run up cables etc.. l really wouldn't put it past them to have found some means of escape.  They can be good escape artists too, but they should also gain more confidence with time so you can expect to see more of them  8)

I am a fellow fan of CPD.  You may find a food which slowly sinks to be a good option for them as mine ask to prefer to take their food from the water column rather than the surface.  This is the way I see them as being a bit shy.

Offline TrenchyLs

• Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 09:59:33 PM »
Thanks @Matt

I love the minimalist aquascapes I've seen, especially the Iwagumi ones but while looking for inspiration it became apparent that they place form firmly above function and none of them really seem to cater to the needs of the fish.
I was quite surprised that chucking in some greenery worked out so well!

I got them from MA in Belton and they were feeding them Tetra Pro ground into a powder which is fine by me as I have that already.  They also seem partial to the dissolved JBL shrimp pellets on the substrate.

And there's a gap behind the large rock.  I'm fairly sure that most of them are behind there as I keep seeing 2 or 3 knocking about, but never the same group!

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • aka Donna
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 10:25:35 PM »
Great tanks.  :cheers:

Offline SinghRathorTari

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 10:49:44 PM »
All the tanks are looking brill; I have to admit that my shrimp seem to disappear for long periods, only for one or two to reappear now and again.  I had them in a small curved marina 360 tank which helped magnify them and make them look MASSIVE, they have since been moved to not become food for a couple of dwarf puffers I would like.

They still hide in their new tank, so at least they are consistent.

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 03:20:38 PM »
Tanks are looking good. :)  Like the changes you made to the big tank and the ring for floating plants.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Trenchy's Tanks"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post September 27, 2012, 05:11:57 PM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post October 26, 2012, 07:31:11 AM
by Don
20 Replies
Last post September 29, 2013, 02:51:03 PM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post October 17, 2014, 10:10:16 PM
by brian c
5 Replies
Last post June 22, 2019, 08:31:48 PM
by Matt
13 Replies
Last post September 02, 2019, 04:00:15 PM
by dwindstr
6 Replies
Last post September 08, 2019, 10:51:34 AM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: