The Cookie Crew

Author Topic: The Cookie Crew  (Read 37262 times) 327 replies

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: The Cookie Crew
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2018, 09:06:10 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I think danios do better in a slightly cooler tank than I think you have. As Littlefish said, they're in her temperate tank.

Offline TopCookie

• aka: Pierre
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2018, 10:28:19 PM »
Everything keeps coming back to the NDRs...  Planning a trip to Wharf on Tuesday, so watch this space...   ;D

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2018, 10:32:58 PM »
Excited about tomorrow (Tuesday), but in the meantime, I've hit a major snag...!!!

The problems I've had with the H.Costata plants looking malnourished have now spread to the recently planted Ludwigia repens Rubin, but they already seem quite overwhelmed by the leaf yellowing and poor health... 

I have done water tests today and all three main parameters on zero ppm...  But this includes the nitrates...!!!  So, I'm thinking that excess phosphates combined with a lack of nitrates could be behind a couple of issues in the tank, including what appears to be a nitrogen deficiency in some of the plants and may or may not be connected to the filamentous algae that has started to make it's presence known... 

All in all, while my aquarium creatures all seem super happy, the planted side of things is distinctly unhappy at the mo...   :(

I have seen that there are nitrogen rich fertilisers available, such as "Seachem Flourish Nitrogen" and will probably snag a bottle of that whilst at Wharf in the morning...  Fingers crossed, a boost in nitrogen will reverse the poor health of those plants looking so miserable & poorly...

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2018, 10:43:36 PM »
Do you think your anti phosphorus stuff could be stripping the nitrates too?

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2018, 10:50:28 PM »
I'm really not sure to be honest Matt...  I do have some super healthy and fast growing floating Amazon Frogbit in the tank and believe that to be a nitrate muncher extraordinaire - so it clouds the problem a little and could well be that they are depleting the nitrates...  A factor here is no water changes for a couple of weeks and this is because of experimentation with the Phosguard while knowing that my tap water has high phosphate levels...  Needed to try and gauge how effective the Phosguard is...  This could mean that the Frogbit has had more time with the same water to consume the nitrates but could also mean that your idea is true and the Phosguard is stripping out nitrates as well as phosphates...  Gonna have to approach this with a diagnostic mentality and attempt to identify what is reducing the nitrates... 

Will be doing a water change tomorrow, for sure though...  so that may throw a curved ball into the equation... 

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2018, 11:20:39 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Well, what a day...!!!  Visit to Wharf Aquatics and now have three more juvenile Rabbit snails and one new 'centre piece' fish, for want of a better expression...  Did look at the Neon Dwarf Rainbows, as planned, but somehow they failed to woo me enough to take the plunge...  To my eyes, the stock they had looked a little washed out of colour, just enough to put that little seed of doubt in my mind, so Operation NDR is on hold for the time being...  BUT...  the new fish, which I am super excited about (something that will likely make you all chortle at least a little, lol) is a lovely looking (imho) humble Platy: 

Anyways, had the chance to speak with the planted tank guru at Wharf, a smashing lad called Adam, and told him about the various issues that I currently have...  Firstly, the excess phosphates, secondly the zero nitrates and then the arrival of the filamentous algae and the green algae where the sand meets the glass...  Adam's considered explanation, or theory, is this: 

He was of the opinion that what's happening is that all these issues are in fact likely to be directly connected and probably centre around the plants "stalling" in growth because of the lack of nitrates...  Combined with the excess phosphates, this has paved the way for the recent growth in the two algae varieties that I'm now seeing and that they will be sucking up any residual nitrates and enjoying the phosphates etc, while the plants are failing to compete with them due to the insufficient and unbalanced nutrients... 

I did fill him in on the tank set up details etc with info on plant numbers and types, water parameters, tank size, livestock etc...  Also told him about currently using TNC Lite, on the grounds that I didn't want to add extra phosphates...  His advice is to switch back to TNC Complete because of the extra NPK and explained that if the plants can get growing properly again, then there will be no need to worry about the phosphates so much as the plants will start to consume them more...  He also advised to cut back on the amount of Amazon Frogbit I allow in the tank, on the grounds that it does consume nitrates so readily but also suggested that I can keep using the Seachem Phosguard for the time being...  So far as dosage for the TNC Complete, his recommendation is to use two thirds recommended weekly dose, but twice per week - to help avoid that feast & famine type deal of once weekly dosing...  Stick to this for a few weeks and see how things progress...  He was of the view that getting the plants back on track will have the effect of making them out compete the algae and that it should therefore recede quite naturally etc... 

Bizarre in a way, insomuch as I assumed that I had to deal with the excess phosphates as one issue and the algae as an entirely separate issue...  After Adam's explanation, it does all make sense and the timing probably does fit what's been happening too... 

So, I estimate 150 litres of water in my 170 litre tank and the TNC recommended dose is 1ml per 10 litres, or 15ml total, per week...  I have today dosed with two thirds of that; 10ml and will do the same in a few days time...  I had been dosing 5ml TNC Lite once a week, so the change in regime is a big one and hopefully things should get back onto something like an even keel as soon as possible, leastways I certainly hope so...  :)

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2018, 12:00:22 AM »
What Adam said certainly makes sense to me.

A comment I read a couple weeks ago (in an old post on another forum) is that a planted tank will always have zero nitrates unless it is over stocked with fish, because the plants will always use up any available nitrates (after they've used up the fish produced nitrogen). Therefore nitrates = too many fish. I am of the opinion that there can be exceptions to this where another nutrient is lacking and therefore stunting growth and limiting the plants' uptake of nitrates.

But I think the gist of the other conversation is that in a properly stocked, heavily planted tank, it is always necessary to supplement NPK in some way.

The cheapest way to buy fertilisers is to get dry ones (transporting water is expensive!). I have got mine from here in the past and am still using up the last order I made.
http://www.aquariumplantfood.co.uk

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2018, 12:21:28 AM »
I think that there is a deficiency of both potassium and nitrogen evident, based on this diagram (and many other similar ones on t'interwb)

With the excessive phosphates, that adds up to a quite severely out of balance nutrition and I agree Helen, Adam's advice sounds bang on the money...

At 10ml Complete every few days, my bottle won't last that long so your suggestion of "going dry" may well be the answer for the long term...   :)

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • aka Donna
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2018, 08:01:33 AM »
That's a nice looking platy.  :)

As for the NDRs, the ones in the shop will look washed out, possibly because they are juveniles and are yet to fully develop their colours. Once they are settled in a tank, and given some time, they will look great.

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2018, 09:34:19 AM »
Thanks Donna...  :) 

Yeah, funny with the NDRs...  It was a bit of intuition really, or as the young 'uns might say, I just wasn't "feeling it" when I looked at the NDRs...  They didn't look anything remotely like bad in any way, but my gut feeling was to hold off for now...  Probably at the back of my mind was a degree of worry over getting the various other issues under control first...

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2018, 12:40:47 PM »
My NDRs were most definitely silver in the shop. It was possible to tell the gender of most of them, because the males had red on the fins and females yellow. Having said that, when I got home, there was one I wasn't sure about for a while. They coloured up pretty quickly and after several months in my tank they have a fabulous blue iridescence but are still not fully grown (about 3-4cm as opposed to 6cm). I'm wondering if the colour will get more spectacular as they get bigger.

But if you're not feeling it when in the shop, you've probably done the right thing. You never know, you might be able to go back in a few months when everything is sorted and get the same fish. I understand that they're not a great seller because you have to know that they will change colour dramatically and be patient.

I think one of the dry fertilisers is potassium nitrate powder.

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2018, 01:19:59 PM »
It's a funny old sensation, eh...  :)   But I also think it can be deceptive and misleading too, sometimes putting you off something that would actually be ideal and other times turning you on to something that's just not right for you (in my case, the Red Phantom Tetras are an example of that)...

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2018, 06:26:18 PM »
I'm a bit of a super planner. I go into the fish shop with a short list of options.   :yikes:

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2018, 11:27:55 PM »
Nice looking Platy.   :afro

Adams advice fits nicely with my most recent thinking on your situation, the only thing I would add would be to dose your ferts daily if at all possible as this will further alleviate any feast or famine issues.  I also probably wouldn't be continuing to use the phosguard personally. I would always advise slightly overdosing a complete fertiliser and doing a big water change to reset levels in the tank weekly.  That was any excess phos or even a micro element such as iron can be prevented from getting too high. 

Now this might sound obvious but... It sounds like you have had good growth in the past so... just go back to what you were doing before

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2018, 11:50:04 PM »
Thanks Matt...  :) 

He's growing on me more and more the lad...  Earlier this evening, he was just chillin' under the roots of some A.Frogbit - something the Tetras never do...  But then you also see him doing what looks to me like he's playing, but obviously by himself...  a sorta game of almost hide & seek, lol...  Yeah, definitely got some character, and gentle as you like too...!!!  He bothers nobody and nobody bothers him...  Talking of the hide & seek, there was a short period where he was doing exactly that, but with some of the Pristella Tetras...  Great addition to the tank and super pleased right now...

With the plants, the trouble is that there is a classic shifting sands type deal, where I am adding more plants every now and again as an ongoing thing, plus most are root feeders but I have been recently adding more water column feeders...  Then of course some plants are growing quite fast etc...  so that notion of sticking to what always used to work might actually be where I've gone off the rails a little, where perhaps I should have changed (or increased, more appropriately) the fertiliser routine to match up to the expanding & literally growing plant collection...? 

I like your thoughts on more regular dosing of subsequently smaller amounts, to iron out the feast & famine even further...  That would essentially equate to 3ml per day for roughly the same weekly total amount...  I might well in fact implement that tout suite...!!!  Then there is the question of what to do next once I have managed to kick start healthy plant growth again...?  I would guess that the best plan would be to slowly reduce the ferts to a less intense level, although keeping them higher than I had been doing that allowed the plants to stutter & stall...?

Point also noted Matt about keeping on top of regular water changes while dosing at this higher than recommended level...  :)

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2018, 12:00:21 AM »
I agree with your thoughts @TopCookie

Also nice to know the platy seems to be 'playing' with his tank mates.. I find that comforting and amusing in equal measure!!

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2018, 09:33:57 AM »
Great to hear that your platy has settled in so well.  :)

I also dose ferts daily, which was recommended by the owner of Aquarium Gardens.
I also agree that sticking with what used to work would be a good idea. Sometimes it's easy to get distracted by an apparent problem and getting into a right tizzy. It's worth going back and seeing how your normal routine works out now.

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2018, 10:32:22 AM »
I hear that...!!!  The trap of getting caught up and "distracted by an apparent problem and getting into a right tizzy..." 

Funnily enough, one thing that I have been learning in my short fishkeeping career so far is that quite a lot of apparent problems seem to sort themselves out if left alone to their own devices...  I had a spell of excess micro-critters at one point and that really did throw me into a major tizzy...  There were a bunch of what I think may have been detritus worms, plus the tiny little white swimmy/darty critters etc...  That really got to me, but then in a blink of an eye, I stopped seeing them...!!!  I do still have a slight issue with limpets, but the worms and darty little tinkers have all vanished now...!!!  There have been other things along the way too, which have had a similar tizzy inducing affect, but seemed to iron themselves out when given time...

I guess the lesson both there and with what you guys, @Matt & @Littlefish, are saying is not to make kneejerk reactions to such problems...  :) 

I will stick with Adam's advice, fine tuned to daily dosing rather than twice weekly, after what you guys have suggested...  Will do some water changes along the way of course, but will essentially look to be going "back to normal" other than a revised fertiliser routine to allow for the greater number and diversity of plants...  :)

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2018, 02:51:47 PM »
... Adams advice fits nicely with my most recent thinking on your situation, the only thing I would add would be to dose your ferts daily if at all possible as this will further alleviate any feast or famine issues. 

Daily ferts started today @ 3ml TNC Complete   :D

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2018, 06:05:24 PM »
I agree - the platy is lovely 8) (so much so that I even checked the water parameters to see whether even a remote possibility for me - unfortunately definitely not), and it's good to hear about what he's been up to - keep us posted on how he's doing.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "The Cookie Crew"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
2 Replies
Last post July 22, 2013, 07:56:47 PM
by Paul T 85
3 Replies
Last post May 12, 2014, 02:43:47 PM
by chris213
2 Replies
Last post July 25, 2017, 11:26:39 AM
by Sue
7 Replies
Last post March 22, 2018, 10:46:57 AM
by TopCookie
9 Replies
Last post October 07, 2019, 04:08:57 PM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: