The Cookie Crew

Author Topic: The Cookie Crew  (Read 37255 times) 327 replies

Offline TopCookie

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka: Pierre
Re: The Cookie Crew
« Reply #200 on: May 31, 2018, 11:01:33 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hard to say on the hard/soft front, but the Amano picking at some seemed like it wasn't easy to pluck off as there was some jerk in the leaf with each plucking motion... 

The black stuff is mostly around the edges of many plant leaves in the tank, but not on wood...  I drop the ferts and carbon directly in the path of the outflow from the small Eheim "Pickup 45" internal filter, so that it gets mixed in right from the off... 

As of today, I'm back down to a straight six hours of tank lights and will soon stop the carbon completely again...  probably drop down from the current 1ml per day to 0.5ml per day just for a few more days, then stop... 

Interestingly, the Hygrophila Costata is pretty much done for and whilst it has grown new leaves lately, the last remaining plants just look very poor now and maybe they're just not suited to my tank...  Ironically, they're supposed to be very easy to grow...  I think the plan now is going to be to remove all remaining H.Costata and replace with some new plants... 

Then, I have Pogostemon Helferi (http://tropica.com/en/plants/plantdetails/4499/4499) which should be trikier to grow, and it's growing like bonkers...!!!  It's a funny old game this planted tank malarkey, eh...

Offline daveyng

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #201 on: May 31, 2018, 11:21:41 PM »
Don’t know if the Hygrophilia is one of them, but I understand some plants don’t fare well when using liquid carbon. From what I’ve read in the past it seems that using low lighting levels with liquid carbon and a comprehensive fertiliser is the way to go. It’s also supposed to be effective at keeping algae at bay. That said it doesn’t seem to be the case based on your current BBA infestation.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #202 on: June 01, 2018, 06:18:44 AM »
One thing that could be at play here is water hardness...

Have you seen:?
https://forums.thinkfish.co.uk/fish-tank-plant-advice/plant-suitability-by-water-hardness/

How do those two plants fit with your water parameters?

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #203 on: June 01, 2018, 09:27:19 AM »
The problems with the H.Costata began before starting to add the liquid carbon...  Problem here is that they were probably already too far gone to be saved really...  As far as I'm aware, I don't think they are intolerant of liquid carbon though...? 

On the issue of water hardness, I'm having trouble finding that information Matt, as the Tropica site doesn't refer to it in their info pages...  Same with Aquarium Gardens...  Then Pro-Shrimp do mention it, but don't sell all the plants I have - most notably the H.Costata

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #204 on: June 01, 2018, 09:41:44 AM »
Just late last night ordered up a bunch of new plants...  Part of me is loathe to put more plants in the tank while there is this algae issue, although it is hopefully coming under control with changes made now...  But then they do say that more plants in your tank will help to combat algae... 

Anyways, got the following ordered:

Another Echinodorus Amazonicus (love this smaller sized Amazon Sword), another Echinodorus Red Diamond, an Echinodorus Aquartica (new to me), an Alternanthera reineckii 'Pink' (another new one to me) and finally a Ludwigia sp. Mini Super Red... 

The Ludwigia is yet another new one to me, but I do have a couple of other red type Ludwigia plants; Palustris and Repens Rubin...  I did have two Repens Rubin, one crashed & died while the other survived and now flourishes, so the "Mini Super Red" is something of an experiment really... 

Also ordered in a potassium test kit...  Already have kits for Nitrogen and Phosphorus and consequently know my NPK is out of balance, low on N & high on P, but I don't know where my K levels are at and a Potassium deficiency does look like a possible candidate for the stalled growth in the tank which started all of this current problem set...  Will be interesting to find out how those Potassium levels are and complete that NPK picture...

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #205 on: June 01, 2018, 09:50:11 AM »
The amano shrimps might not have been trying to eat the algae, they may have been eating micro-organisms that grow in the biofilm and in the algae.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #206 on: June 01, 2018, 03:58:32 PM »
That thread references this site Pierre:

en.aqua-fish.net

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #207 on: June 01, 2018, 09:13:39 PM »
Just a heads up, Amazon swords can be very nutrient hungry. Mine didn't survive in my tank when I wasn't dosing additional nitrates.

Also, I discovered that fast growing stem plants need calcium (the 'crispier' the stalks seems to be the more calcium). So they can appear to reduce the hardness of the water when they use up the calcium. I think calcium is measured within general hardness, though @Sue  will confirm (it is one of those things I always struggle to remember correctly)

Offline daveyng

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #208 on: June 02, 2018, 12:11:53 AM »
Is Kh the calcium hardness bit with Gh being the general hardness (includes all minerals) ? I may be wrong !!!

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #209 on: June 02, 2018, 12:22:06 AM »
Thanks for the various replies guys... 

@Sue  you could well be right Sue as the algae hasn't really gone down much, although the way the leaf was being tugged suggests that he/she was trying... 

@Matt  Just tried that site with searches for Hygrophila Costata and the Pogostemon Helferi, but, alas, the searches came back empty handed Matt...  Good shout though, all the same... 

@Helen  my end goal is to keep up with the TNC Complete and/or the newly purchased "theaquascaper" Complete, both of which have micros & macros...  The one addition I'm keen to work back out of the routine is the liquid carbon...  As things stand, I have a few varieties of Echinodorus in the tank already and they all grow quite well - just this issue of firstly what might be staghorn or green hair algae which has largely subsided to this smaller black algae...  But in terms of actual growth, they do quite well which is the principle reason for choosing more Echinodorus to replace the doomed H.Costata and just build the plant numbers up a bit more in general...  I will aim to stick with the TNC Complete @ 1ml per day, which equates to half recommended dose, but if there are any signs of further malnutrition then I'll boost back up to the 2ml per day as recommended...  Combined with that subsoil though, I would expect that the half dose should work at least adequately well...

Pointers on the immediate future start with this addition of more plants (and the removal of the last H.Costata - which I'll be glad to see the back of!), plus the testing for potassium levels, which I shall supplement if levels are low...  May well look at nitrogen supplementation too, especially with the nil nitrites and just 5 nitrates at the moment...  Phosphorus is 2ppm out of the tap, so that definitely won't need supplementing, but I do wonder that if I can strike a better NPK blalance, then that should hopefull go a long way to keeping the plants happy and that in turn should help with the algae wars...  That's the theory at least...  :)

EDIT:  I do have a KH & GH test kit...  Might be worth looking at those figures again Dave (and Helen)

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #210 on: June 02, 2018, 12:28:33 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
lolol, just a little observation...  I only started this hobby in January this year, late January at that...!!!  Blimey, the learning curve is steep, eh...!!!  I can't get over some of the chats going on now...  :)

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #211 on: June 02, 2018, 05:25:32 AM »
Take care 're potassium levels Pierre as you are also changing fertiliser so you may find that any deficiency gets covered going forwards. I would give the tank at least 2 weeks on the new fertiliser before drawing any conclusions...

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #212 on: June 02, 2018, 08:49:58 AM »
GH is general hardness, the same thing that water companies give as 'hardness'.
GH is a measure of all the divalent metal ions in the water. In practice, these are mainly calcium with some magnesium and trace amounts of other metal ions eg copper, iron II, manganese, zinc etc - you'll find a lot of these trace metals in plant fertilisers.
Sodium and potassium are not measured by GH because they are monovalent metals. Iron III is trivalent, as is aluminium, so they are not measured by GH either.

Hardness can be expressed in several different units.
Degrees include Clark, French and German, though only German is used in fishkeeping and is often called dH. In fish profiles, degrees, dH or even odH are all German degrees.
The other units can cause confusion. These are mg/l calcium (Ca), mg/l calcium oxide (CaO) and mg/l calcium carbonate (CaCO3). These sound as though they are the amount of the specific chemical in the water but they are not. They are the hardness expressed as what the number would be if all the hardness was just calcium, or all just calcium oxide or all just calcium carbonate. It's just a convenient way of comparing 2 samples of water without saying 'this sample contains x caclium, y magnesium, z copper while that sample contains a calcium, b magnesium, c copper' They use one measurement that includes everything, but they call it all calcium or all calcium oxide or all calcium carbonate.
The amounts of each individual metal are given in water companies' water quality tables.
Ppm is the final unit and this is the same as mg/l calcium carbonate. This is the other unit used in fish keeping.

KH is the amount of buffer* in the water. In practical terms this is carbonate and bicarbonate. KH is rarely given on UK water companies' websites, but if one does give it they call it alkalinity because of the method used to measure it.
As for GH, there are 2 units for KH in fish keeping - dH and ppm. Where water companies do give KH (alkalinity), they most likely use the unit mg/l calcium carbonate. As for GH this is not the amount of calcium carbonate in the water but the figure it would be if all the carbonate and bicarbonate was calcium carbonate. In reality, it will be a mixture of calcium, magnesium and trace metal carbonates and bicarbonates.

* A buffer is simply a chemical dissolved in water which stops the pH changing.

The source of this information is my younger son who worked as an analyst for a water testing company a few years ago.

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #213 on: June 02, 2018, 10:31:13 AM »
@Matt  good point and one that has been noted - thanks...  Haven't tried the aquascaper stuff as yet and didn't buy any potassium supplement yet either, just the test kit for now...  :)

@Sue  we should have your lad on the forum Sue...  sounds like he really knows his stuff  :)

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #214 on: June 02, 2018, 10:36:55 AM »
One footnote to add for anybody that is following the story of what's happening with this tank:  I initially scooped out a whole lot of the floating Amazon Frogbit, on the grounds that they're acknowledged as being nitrogen greedy and having such low nitrogen levels in the tank...  I've now reversed that and am letting it re-populate, which is because I'm now thinking that the shade it provides is a greater advantage when it comes to algae than the downside of it being nitrogen greedy... 

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #215 on: June 04, 2018, 10:46:02 PM »
Might be that I am too quick with updates, not allowing sufficient time to be more accurate, but after working the tank lights back down to six hours exactly and reducing the fertilisers & carbon, wouldn't you know it but the algae that looks like BBA seems to be easing off and the unidentified filamentous algae seems to have recovered after being in recession whilst the black stuff was more prominent...  I'm actually tempted to consider turning the timer for the lights down even further at the mo, but need to leave well alone for now and let the current batch of changes have some time to work (or fail, possibly?)

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #216 on: June 06, 2018, 04:03:16 PM »
It's just the darndest thing, but this BBA breakout is definitely backing right off now...!!! 

Lord knows exactly what has caused the turn around but the two most likely candidates are the reduced lighting period and/or the reduced fertilisers/carbon...  Highly likely to be a combination of the two I would imagine...?

Fish keeping...  huh, the more you learn, the less you know...!!!   :isay:

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #217 on: June 06, 2018, 04:30:40 PM »
Because one of the causes of a BBA outbreak is fluctuating CO2 levels, I would suggest that the reduction in carbon means that the co2 levels are more stable.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #218 on: June 06, 2018, 04:59:22 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
I think your also achieving that troublesome 'balance' of co2 lighting and ferts... glad to hear things are on the up!  :fishy1:

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #219 on: June 06, 2018, 10:39:30 PM »
Big maintenance day tomorrow and will be planting the new additions - plus rooting out the last of the doomed H.Costata... 

Still pondering this question of lighting in the tank, particularly with the specific notion of where natural light fits in with, or set against, the tank lights...  I'm so tempted to turn the lights down a fraction more even, maybe knock another quarter hour off perhaps...  Then logic tells me to leave well alone while the BBA is receding... 

Difficult not to get drawn into the conclusion that too much light is behind the BBA, as I'm sure it's probably not that straightforward, but I'd be tempted to advise anybody suffering from BBA to reduce their photoperiod significantly after this experience... 

Interesting take on the carbon aspect @Helen   I can say that I think following Adam's advice (the planted tank guy @ Wharf) to the letter meant that I only boosted the fertilisers without adding any carbon and this didn't seem to do a lot of good until I did start adding carbon and thus bringing that entire notion of balance under the microscope...  It strikes me now that it is unwise to add fertilisers in large amounts without adding carbon to complete that nutrition picture as a whole...

For the record, here's what I did in terms of trying to follow that advice and amounts of fertilisers added etc: 

24th April  10ml TNC Complete added, with a view to dosing twice a week at two thirds of the recommended weekly dose each time...  No carbon added...

Then following chats on the forum here, switched to 3ml TNC Complete daily from 26th April...  Still no carbon added...

3ml TNC Complete added daily, without carbon up to and including 7th May...

8th May dropped TNC Complete to 2ml per day...  Still no carbon yet... 

11th May started adding 0.5ml TNC Carbon along with the 2ml TNC Complete...

17th May boosted Carbon to 1ml per day and still on 2ml per day Complete...

22nd May boosted Carbon to 2ml per day and still on 2ml Complete...

28th May dropped both Carbon & Complete to 1ml per day... 

Still on the 1ml each of TNC Carbon and TNC Complete now and tank has that "lushness" about it again at the moment...  Will maintain these levels for a while now and see how things progress... 

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "The Cookie Crew"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
2 Replies
Last post July 22, 2013, 07:56:47 PM
by Paul T 85
3 Replies
Last post May 12, 2014, 02:43:47 PM
by chris213
2 Replies
Last post July 25, 2017, 11:26:39 AM
by Sue
7 Replies
Last post March 22, 2018, 10:46:57 AM
by TopCookie
9 Replies
Last post October 07, 2019, 04:08:57 PM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: