• Likes On This Users Post 0
Looking good.  8)

Offline TopCookie

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka: Pierre
Re: The Cookie Crew
« Reply #141 on: May 03, 2018, 10:52:43 PM »
Thanks folks...  :)   It always gives me a great buzz when you guys say nice stuff, especially with me still being a newbie and you guys being properly experienced and knowledgeable etc...  :)

Like your planting. What are the clump of foreground plants behind the Marino moss ball ? I quite like the look of those.

Ah, funnily enough, that's one plant that has drawn compliments two or three times now...  It just went through a decidedly unhealthy looking phase due to malnutrition (which was my own fault) but is now on its way back to good health again after blitzing the tank with TNC Complete... 

The plant in question is:  http://tropica.com/en/plants/plantdetails/Ludwigiapalustris(035B)/4453

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #142 on: May 04, 2018, 01:54:36 AM »
I've been back on the CC (is it me, or does that sound bad, lol...?) and here's what it looks like if I were to add 10 x Rasbora Espei... 

I've opted for the "Oversized Internal" filter option, but have both external and internal filters now... 

NB:  My Corys are bigger than S&Ps so I doubled the number to 8 when I have 4 in fact...

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #143 on: May 04, 2018, 07:41:46 AM »
That looks fine to me so far as stocking goes. I'd probably say that puts you are far as I would ordinarily go.  I've had tanks higher but that is a comfortable level.

By the way your tank is stunning  :))

Remind me again... do you dose CO2?

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #144 on: May 04, 2018, 10:36:19 AM »
I forgot the lone Platy on that CC, but he's just one fish to be fair and may well yet get removed and returned to Wharf...  I ought to make that a self imposed condition on getting the Espei really...  :)   Snail count is a little higher, after adding the one Black Nerite and a couple of baby Rabbit snails, but again I don't suppose that makes any real difference as CC doesn't give them as any load... 

On the CO2 front, no Matt...  I did try TNC Carbon once, but nearly nuked my Amanos, which put me off for life...!!! 

Other than that, it is a "dirted" tank, Diana Walstad style... 

PS:  thank you sir  :)

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #145 on: May 04, 2018, 02:40:49 PM »
On that whole (potentially) combined problem set, with the poorly plants, green algae and filamentous algae etc...  plus the zero nitrates but loadsa phosphates etc...  Here is the update, just in case anybody is bored enough to have followed this story, lol... 

Water parameters today:  Zero ammonia and nitrites, with the barest touch of nitrates - half way, roughly, between zero and 5ppm, which is definitely better than the zero ppm I was getting...!!!  Phosphates now around the 1ppm point, which I am delighted about when considering I get 2ppm from the tap and this would appear to indicate that the advice to overdose slightly with the nitrogen and phosphorus including TNC Complete appears to be working and kick started what may have been a stalled growth in many of the plants due to malnutrition...

No difference in algae on the front glass, beneath the substrate where it meets the sand, but I guess that will take time...  Also hard to be objective about the filamentous algae because I have trimmed the worst affected leaves off completely now, so I can't really comment on whether or not the theory that boosting plant growth will out-compete the hair algae for nutrients or not, but things are looking better - just hard to be sure why exactly...   Next Tuesday will be two weeks of overdosing with the TNC Complete, at which point I'll drop it from 3ml per day down to the correct dose of 2ml per day... 

Edit:  the only sad thing is that one of the two Ludwigia repens Rubin hasn't survived and has now been removed...  However, some of the taller stalks were cut off several days ago and just left floating, and one or two of these look to be colouring up nicely - so I may yet be able to salvage something from that plant...  Fingers crossed  :)

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • aka Donna
« Reply #146 on: May 04, 2018, 03:43:32 PM »
Fingers crossed for your plants, especially the ludwigia cuttings. :)

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #147 on: May 04, 2018, 04:48:12 PM »
I am semi-confident that the cuttings just might be ok...  Another week or two under the new ferts regime and if they're looking ok, I'll plant them back in the spot from where they were taken again, try and get them growing nicely...  Love the colours when looking healthy...  :)

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #148 on: May 04, 2018, 08:48:11 PM »
I have managed to rescue a few plants from the brink like this in my time... always seems to take a frustratingly long time though!... good project though. I just got a hydrocotyle back from a single small stem to a full blown albeit small plant. Taken nearly 4 months!

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #149 on: May 05, 2018, 12:00:22 AM »
I really hope that I can pull the Ludwigia Rubin back...  it's such a beatiful plant and full of glorious red colouring, when healthy...  But, admittedly, a not-so-easy plant to grow at it's best... 

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #150 on: May 05, 2018, 12:04:04 AM »
I think it is worth cross referencing the CC against this website:
http://aqadvisor.com
I'd not used it until my last round of stocking calculations and I realised that there are two elements to calculating stock capacity. Size of the tank and filtration capacity. The cc kind of combines the two when you select the type of filter.

There is quite a lot of debate about whether filtration capacity should affect stock numbers, so this seems to be the point on which the Cc is considered weak.

Because I have a heavily planted tank, and no-one puts this into their calculations, my tank always looks overstocked on the filtration side. But by comparing the Cc and aqadvisor I have been able to put a bit of science behind the numbers that I've learned over the years 'fits' my tank. Aqadvisor has my tank currently at 94% tank capacity. And that feels right to me - busy but not too crowded. I also haven't used any of the juvenile sizes, even though a lot of my fish are still not fully grown. I'm stocking my tank for the long term.

Although my preference is the CC, because that's what I've used for so long, I think aqadvisor handles larger shoals a bit better. Eg. 12 espeii rasboras do not have twice the bioload of 6 espeii rasbora.

Anyway, I think comparisons of the information from the 2 calculations makes for interesting reading.

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #151 on: May 05, 2018, 12:07:15 AM »
That's been mentioned before, I guess by you H...?  I did have a quick look but didn't fill details in...  Perhaps I should, eh...?  :)

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #152 on: May 05, 2018, 12:16:25 AM »
I think it was someone else that mentioned it. I picked up the link from someone else's post. But since using it, I have also mentioned it. Though possibly without the link.

I visited about half a dozen times before I could be bothered inputting all my data - it's not the most user friendly from a phone. But you can bookmark it with all your information and return at a later date.

It then took me several visits to 'translate' the information I was seeing. But once the penny dropped, I suddenly had answers for a lot of my previous questions.

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #153 on: May 05, 2018, 12:20:14 AM »
Here is a quick "drive by" selection: 

My external filter is 850 l/h not the 750 l/h I chose as the nearest thing here... 

The lone Platy will go before I get the Espei, although both are included above... 

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #154 on: May 05, 2018, 12:36:55 AM »
When I remove the Platy, it goes to: Filtration 105% & Stocking 101%

Offline Sue

« Reply #155 on: May 05, 2018, 10:13:48 AM »
Pierre, what is the plant almost in the middle of the tank that looks a bit like miniature underwater rhubarb?

According to the CC my main tank is 92% stocked, though I've had to substitute a lot of my fish for species in the database.
What the CC doesn't take into account is that with small shoaling fish (neon tetra sized) adding more does not necessarily increase the bioload. Increasing a shoal from 6 to 12 will not double the bioload because a shoal of 12 will be less stressed than a shoal of 6 so the impact on the tank is less per fish. My 92% stocking includes 12 espe's rasboras and about 18 daisy's rice fish - they won't keep still to count them.

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #156 on: May 05, 2018, 04:03:43 PM »
This one I think you mean:  http://tropica.com/en/plants/plantdetails/Nymphoideshydrophylla'Taiwan'(041BTC)/4463

Fast'ish grower, not too fast though and actually very easy to trim back, which does need doing periodically... 

That lone Platy is an Olympic standard pooh machine, I kid you not...!!!  I am personally convinced that a dozen Espei would actually create less waste than one greedy pig Platy...!!!   :rotfl:

Offline Sue

« Reply #157 on: May 05, 2018, 04:11:16 PM »
Platies do eat a lot of veg matter and unfortunately veg matter = lots of poo whether its fish or cows  ;D

Thank you for the link, I shall investigate.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #158 on: May 05, 2018, 09:50:46 PM »
The nymphoides hydrophylla'Taiwan' that I bought relatively recently is growing well (after seeing it in @TopCookie 's tank photos). Not quite as well as the "30cm in a month" that was promised on the label. Thank goodness, but it did have me worried at the beginning that it was managing to grow 1cm a day. I got about 9 clumps / plants from the single pot of tissue culture. So at the moment it is looking like the best value aquatic plant I've ever bought!

And I really like the contrast of the light green against my dark olive / rust coloured crypts.

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #159 on: May 05, 2018, 11:23:21 PM »
It is a good one, eh...  Grows fast enough to be helpful in terms of nutrient uptake but not so fast as to be invasive or some kinda nuisance...  and I definitely agree, they do look kinda funky, in a good way...   :D

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "The Cookie Crew"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
2 Replies
Last post July 22, 2013, 07:56:47 PM
by Paul T 85
3 Replies
Last post May 12, 2014, 02:43:47 PM
by chris213
2 Replies
Last post July 25, 2017, 11:26:39 AM
by Sue
7 Replies
Last post March 22, 2018, 10:46:57 AM
by TopCookie
9 Replies
Last post October 07, 2019, 04:08:57 PM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: