Author Topic: The Cookie Crew  (Read 37219 times) 327 replies

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Re: The Cookie Crew
« Reply #100 on: April 30, 2018, 07:27:51 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I've just had a look at SF to re-check the hardness. The 'variatus' requires 14+ while the 'maculatus' requires 10+. You might get away with the 'maculatus' but you're quite a bit off the requirements of the 'variatus' - is it definitely the latter you have? If so, on the basis of that, and I see Sue's replied to the same effect, maybe it's time to bid them all goodbye...

Offline TopCookie

• aka: Pierre
« Reply #101 on: April 30, 2018, 07:31:10 PM »
Yeah, I think so too...  All three really...  But what an absolute crying shame though...  :'(

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #102 on: April 30, 2018, 08:34:36 PM »
Sorry to hear that your platies became more aggressive today.
Such a shame that things didn't work out.

Offline daveyng

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #103 on: April 30, 2018, 10:30:27 PM »
I understand the Variatus platies like cooler temperatures (16-25C), that’s why I was looking at them for my pond. Although based on what @TopCookie said about one of them “having a go at the Amano’s” I don’t think I’ll bother.

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #104 on: April 30, 2018, 10:32:26 PM »
I've managed to catch the two newer blue ones and separate them...  Tons of irony now, lol, but the two are getting along just fine outside of the main tank, and the original orange one, now that he's alone again, is behaving perfectly fine...!!!  Not sure I'll get the chance to catch him now as he's a bit spooked with the other two suddenly missing, so it might be back with the two blue ones tomorrow and Mr Orange may have a day or two respite...!!!  The dynamic in the whole tank is different again now - like it should be again...

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #105 on: April 30, 2018, 10:34:33 PM »
This must sound like a daft question, but is it possible that two fish (or more) have a clash of personality in the way that sometimes humans themselves do...?

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #106 on: April 30, 2018, 11:16:30 PM »
I understand the Variatus platies like cooler temperatures (16-25C), that’s why I was looking at them for my pond. Although based on what @TopCookie said about one of them “having a go at the Amano’s” I don’t think I’ll bother.

If it's any consolation I have 2 female v. platies in my temperate tank and they are fine with the amano shrimp.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #107 on: April 30, 2018, 11:19:48 PM »
This must sound like a daft question, but is it possible that two fish (or more) have a clash of personality in the way that sometimes humans themselves do...?

Possibly, I guess....with yours you may have had the orange fish as the original platy clashing with the larger blue platy, both trying to assert dominance, with the smaller blue one being more submissive...but who knows with fish.  :-\

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #108 on: April 30, 2018, 11:34:09 PM »
I also wonder if the larger blue one is a little bit rogue...  but then, the orange one made a b-line for the little one once the larger blue was removed...  I dunno, but it definitely looks like me n Platies are a not happening thing...   :-\

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #109 on: May 01, 2018, 08:58:13 AM »
Such a disappointing situation.  :(

It's not always easy to achieve harmony in a tank, nature doesn't always adhere to expectations, and sometimes difficult decisions have to be made.

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #110 on: May 01, 2018, 04:18:11 PM »
Phase 1 of Plan B accomplished...!!!  Both the two newer blue Platies now safely back at Wharf Aquatics...  :)   I couldn't catch the original orange one in good time, so he's still in the tank but looks to be behaving impeccably... 

So, at least the heat is off again for now and I am far more confident about keeping Platy #1 a few more days whilst formulating a new plan for a "feature fish" variety... 

I had the chance to chat to a great store chap by the name of Ross and we talked for a little while about what I was after...  This is basically a small'ish and good looking fish that will spend the bulk of its time in the upper half of the tank and should be happy either alone or in small numbers within a larger Tetras mostly community...  Also, should not be a problem with Amano shrimp or snails... 

In the meantime, I've also had a butchers at this article about Dwarf Gourami:  https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/features/articles/lets-hear-it-for-the-dwarf-gourami 

Managed to see some in Wharf, and Honeys and Sparkling etc...  They had a few colour varieties of the Dwarf G's and I have to confess to liking them all...!!!  We talked about the disease that affects the Dwarf G's too and in this respect, Ross did set my mind at ease over that particular issue... 

Sooooooo...  my next question to you guys n gals is centred on Dwarf Gouramis, what you think of them, had any experience with them etc...?  And not least of all, would you think that one, maybe two, would make good additions to The Cookie Crew...?   :D

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #111 on: May 01, 2018, 04:44:37 PM »
I've had several dwarf gouramis, honey gouramis and pearl gouramis. I do rather like gouramis but when restocking this time I decided to stay away from labyrinthine fish. They just don't do very well in my tank. The pearl gouramis lasted the longest, but then we started major building works and with the dust (even though I put sheets over the tank) I don't think the air quality was good enough for them, even when I got the water right.

Offline Sue

« Reply #112 on: May 01, 2018, 07:10:23 PM »
Dwarf gourami males have been known to kill females if the male is in the mood and the female isn't. If you decide on dwarfs, get at least 2 females per male. And make sure you speak to someone who knows what they are doing. When I tried dwarfs many years ago the chap in the shop insisted he had given me a standad colour male and female even though I said it was a standard male and a neon blue male. I was right.

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #113 on: May 01, 2018, 09:39:17 PM »
The more I look into Dwarf G's and the more feedback from you guys I hear, I'm going off the idea of Gouramis quite quickly... 

Feels like an impossible task, finding something for that upper half of the tank, is friendly and can be a single fish or small numbered group etc...   :-\

Anybody know much about these little tinkers:  https://www.thesprucepets.com/forktailed-rainbow-fish-4071595

Offline daveyng

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #114 on: May 01, 2018, 10:09:09 PM »
I had a pair of Dwarf Gouramis in the past. They were quite peaceful and didn’t bother the other tankmates. However, they didn’t last long (about 6 months). My water is extremely hard, so , I am assuming this might be the problem. I have also had Honey Gouramis which seem to be a bit hardier.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #115 on: May 01, 2018, 10:30:32 PM »
Anybody know much about these little tinkers:  https://www.thesprucepets.com/forktailed-rainbow-fish-4071595
Hard water is one of their requirements - http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/pseudomugil-furcatus/at minimum 268 ppm which equates to 15 DH - unfortunately.
PS. Sorry for uncharacteristically brief reply this evening.

Offline daveyng

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #116 on: May 01, 2018, 10:50:38 PM »
Your tank looks fairly long and roomy. Is there a possibility of homing hatchet fish or is it ‘open topped’ ?

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #117 on: May 01, 2018, 11:19:21 PM »
That is one fish that does keep cropping up actually...  Tank is 1 metre long and does have lids (x2 - one either side of a central LED lighting bar), although there are two rectangular cut-outs for the pipe work and wiring etc, which are potentially large enough to be a factor with airborn Hatchets...?

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #118 on: May 01, 2018, 11:22:06 PM »
Just scouring the Wharf Aquatics stock lists now and double checking all potential candidates on Seriously Fish...  To be honest though, it feels like looking for a needle in a haystack...

Offline fcmf

« Reply #119 on: May 02, 2018, 12:37:59 AM »
That is one fish that does keep cropping up actually...  Tank is 1 metre long and does have lids (x2 - one either side of a central LED lighting bar), although there are two rectangular cut-outs for the pipe work and wiring etc, which are potentially large enough to be a factor with airborn Hatchets...?
If holes aren't massive, you could address this by stuffing filter wool in to block/plug up the gaps.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "The Cookie Crew"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
2 Replies
Last post July 22, 2013, 07:56:47 PM
by Paul T 85
3 Replies
Last post May 12, 2014, 02:43:47 PM
by chris213
2 Replies
Last post July 25, 2017, 11:26:39 AM
by Sue
7 Replies
Last post March 22, 2018, 10:46:57 AM
by TopCookie
9 Replies
Last post October 07, 2019, 04:08:57 PM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: