Tank Reorganisation For The Littlefish Household

Author Topic: Tank reorganisation for the Littlefish household  (Read 4781 times) 14 replies

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka Donna
Tank reorganisation for the Littlefish household
« on: November 18, 2016, 12:57:07 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Well, as I'm having to wait a little longer for the big tanks to be delivered I had started to plan a bit of a reorganisation to deal with my current TTC (total tank chaos). Unfortunately I could not start until I had some help moving tanks. Luckily I managed to book a day off work and arrange for some help this morning. Hooray.

I removed as much water as possible from each tank and stored it in buckets. The fish remained in the tanks, and with some effort and a great deal of help, we've moved the tanks and put the water back in.

I have now moved all of my tanks off the reinforced bookcases, so that I can do some more reinforcement (can't be too careful long term), and have treated myself to a cordless drill/screw driver to help. I have also been storing lots of new plants in some of the spare tanks, so that I can do some more planting.

As I have some spare tanks available I plan to upgrade my 50L temperate to a 70L, and upgrade my 34L betta tank to the 50L. This should give me some more space in the tanks for the additional planting, and possibly increase the numbers of fish a little in the future.

I am looking forward to a great weekend of small amounts of DIY and lots of tank set up, planting, etc. and with a bit of luck most of the chaos will be resolved prior to the larger tanks being delivered.  :)

Living room/dining room currently looks as if an aquatics store has been ransacked, with tanks, bags of planting substrate, sand, gravel and other bits all over the place.  :o

The dwarf puffers are watching proceedings with some interest.  ;D

Offline Sue

Re: Tank reorganisation for the Littlefish household
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 04:47:48 PM »
It makes me exhausted just reading about it  ;D

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 01:47:49 PM »
Phase 1 complete.
Large boockcase was reinforced with metal brackets, etc. yesterday. Then the planting substrate, gravel & sand placed in the 70L tank, with 20L of dechlorinated water.
This morning I started planting with the new plants, before transfering water from the old tank to the new, along with the decor. I have tied some moss to the wood and resin/pretend rocky bridge thingy, then placed them into the new tank. The filter, remaining plants, and more water were transferred from the old tank to the new.
All fished were bagged up (always nice to be able to accurately count them sometimes) and acclimatised to the new tank prior to release.
Bless the shrimp for making thinks so easy by all hiding in the same hollow rock decor, so I just moved the whole thing into a bag of tank water before acclimatising them and moving the decor out of the bag in the tank.
Time to sit down with a coffee while everyone settles down.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2016, 02:14:40 PM »
The next phase of the reorganisation doesn't really count because the platy ladies, danios and cories are staying in their 70L tank, it just needs to go back in place, so I'll class that as phase 1a, which should take place this afternoon.

Phase 2 will involve reinforcing the smaller bookcase before cleaning out the substrate in the 50L tank, putting more planting substrate in, and starting to set that tank up. The plan being to put that tank where the 34L tank was, and move the betta and panda cories into the larger tank.
Before I do this I need some advice.
I know it's not a great idea to put a tank near a window, but one end of the betta tank was facing the window, and he seemed to enjoy looking out of that part of the tank. Not sure how good fish eyesight is, but confident that he could see me sitting in the armchair because he would flutter his fins when I looked at him (possibly fish sign language for "stop messing around on the laptop and get me some food", possibly not), and not sure if he could see out into the garden, but he certainly spent time looking in that direction.
The plants grew well at that end of the tank, but I also grew a lot of aglae on the glass there as well.
My question now that I'm going to change to a 50L tank is, bearing in mind the placing of the tank, would it be acceptable to keep ottos in that tank in the future, when the tank has settled/matured/grown a wall of algae?

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2016, 02:35:39 PM »
Wow - this is exciting and great to be able to "take part" in it all from afar by getting updates on the developments. :)

I assume the bookcases you have are heavy-duty ones anyway ie I assume there'd be no way to make IKEA Billy bookcases sufficiently strong enough to hold the weight of a tank? (brain cogwheels going 19-to-the-dozen and wondering if there are any tanks of 10" depth available... Mr FCMF has already sussed what I'm thinking...)

I'm quite sure that your betta probably is interested in what he sees outside. Two of my goldfish seemed to see better at a distance of 12 feet from an object and, on one occasion, when one of my goldfish was being temporarily rehomed for a few hours, he seemed to be fascinated by activity out the window, having never witnessed that before.

As to your specific question, it certainly seems plausible to me, provided that the tank doesn't get too hot in summer (ie way beyond the temp range acceptable to bettas and otos), but others with specific and more experience may be able to advise better.

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2016, 02:54:53 PM »
Otos are often cited as perfect betta tankmates, monochrome colours, don't swim mid water (much), don't nibble fins. However it is generally regarded as a good idea to put the other fish in first and the betta last. One way round this is to remove the betta that is already there temporarily, rearrange all the decor than put the betta back at the same time as the other fish. The theory is he'll think he's in a new tank so the other fish won't be invading his territory. The slight problem in this case is the plants. You can't exactly go rearranging those  ;D

For potential overheating by the sun, on very hot sunny days I'm sure you'll be able to rig up a screen of some sort  :)

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2016, 05:27:07 PM »
I could leave the betta in the 34L tank and add him to the 50L tank last, as the 34L tank isn't required for anything, and he seems to be enjoying himself on the dinning table.
I have plenty of plants etc, so it would be very easy to set up the 50L without disturbing the 34L much. I could move some of the decor, and seed a new filter from other filters to cycle the tank.
Would it make sense to move the panda cories into the 50L for a few months, then add otos, then move the betta?

As for the temperature, that side to the house only gets sun in the afternoon in the summer, and then the tank wouldn't get any direct sunlight because the sun is too high in the sky. Also, because it's a bay window, but the curtains don't go into the bay (they go straight across the bay, if that makes sense), the tank isn't next to the windowsill. When it is really warm the curtains don't get opened because I have to keep the room cool for the axolotls, and I also have polystyrene sheets that I use to help keep tanks cool during the summer, so although I'd have to keep a close eye on the temperature I hope I'd be able to cope with most eventualities.

@fcmf as for reinforcing the bookcases, technically yes the bookcase you mention (other brands are available) has been used and reinforced. It takes a bit of effort, and the purchase of extra shelves, but I am currently using flat-pack. Any shelf holding a tank has at least 1 extra shelf on top, along with 4 metal brackets screwed underneath to attach the shelves to the uprights. I have also used metal brackets on the shelf below, to stop any bowing in the uprights from the weight of the tanks. You can also get metal bracing to help at the back (again to stop bowing), and flat metal bars to screw to the underside of the shelves to help to reinforce them (along with the metal brackets). I will admit that it is all a bit of hassle, and after buying brackets, bracing etc. it wouldn't be much more expensive to but a cabinet for the tanks, but I already had the bookcases and I need the storage shelves as I've already got rid of enough books to make way for tanks.  :-[   ;D

Offline Sue

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2016, 06:39:40 PM »
Moving the pandas sounds fine. You'll need to wait till you have plenty of algae before getting a shoal of otos.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2016, 06:57:31 PM »
Will do.  :)

Offline apache6467

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Catfish Enthusiast
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2016, 10:23:06 PM »
Good luck with your project... I hope you have a plan B

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2016, 08:46:04 AM »
@apache6467 I have so many spare tanks at the moment that I probably have plans B, C, D an more.  Hopefully this reorganisation will be the final one for the smaller tanks.  :)

@fcmf as for the size of the tank, the bookcases I have are not as deep as the tank, but only by a few cm, so I ended up using the jigsaw to remove part of the back of the bookcase where required so I could put a deeper shelf in. Due to the skirting boards the bookcase isn't flat to the wall, so the extra few cm were available, I just needed to make sure that the tank was supported by the deeper shelf, then slid the tank back so the front was level with the front of the bookcase. Sometimes things are a steep learning curve, and I have found that "free styling" with a jigsaw can be a bit messy, and perhaps I need to get a small/portable workbench to assist with building things in the future. I will say that the 34L/50cm tank I've got the betta & pandas in fits perfectly on a Billy bookcase though, without any effort at all.  ;)

@Sue would it be less stressful for the betta if I remove him from the tank while catching the pandas, because I'll have to take out all the decor - they are fast moving little beggars when they want to be. Perhaps use a jug for the betta, the way Ally does, then put him back in when I have removed the pandas and replaced some of the decor? He's quite a friendly, relaxed, outgoing betta, but I don't want to stress him more than I have to.

Offline Andy The Minion

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2016, 08:53:50 AM »
All that work and you are updating us on the progress I am impressed
So from what you have said you have 34, 50, 70, the new 220 and two new big tanks comming. Are there more.....? I do hope you arnt relying on buckets for the water changes I put a drain and water supply next to my big tank but i also had a cheap (Lidl/Aldi) submersable pump for draining pools in a large bucket and ran a hose to a drain. It works for filling as well I just put it next to the sink and counted buckets into it adding declorinator as i went.

Offline Sue

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2016, 09:19:11 AM »
Littlefish, I would indeed take the betta out with a jug. Catching other fish with a betta in the tank would be a nightmare as they are such nosey fish. Remember to cover up the jug as bettas can jump.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2016, 09:27:42 AM »
Yes @Andy the minion there are a lot more tanks.  :-[  ;D
I used to have a list in my signature, but it got so complicated when I started to move things around that I deleted them.
Currently I do rely on syphons and buckets to do water changes, and it is quite a lot of hard work, so I do one or two tanks each evening, otherwise it takes a full day to maintain them all.
Luckily I also have a "spare" bathroom downstairs, which is very handy for doing things like soaking large quantities of wood in the bath.  ;D
I also do quite alot of gardening, so the waste water is well used outside (although possibly not today unless I want a swamp).
I will certainly be considering a more suitable way of dealing with water changes when I get the big tanks.  :)

@Sue fair point about bettas being nosey fish. Taking him out with a jug will make things so much easier, and I will keep him covered. I've always worked on the theory that all fish can jump if they are stressed enough, even if they are not built for it, like my hatchets.  :)

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2016, 08:51:54 PM »
The inhabitants of the 50L tank who were upgraded to a 70L tank this weekend seem to have settled into the new tank. They have a lot more plants in their tank, possibly too many for the peppered cories to get around as easily as they used to, but they all seem to be ok after such a busy weekend.
The other 70L temperate tank is back in place. The smaller bookcase has been reinforced, and the 50L tank now has planting substrate and some sand, ready for planting over the next day or so.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Tank reorganisation for the Littlefish household"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
59 Replies
Last post November 14, 2016, 09:07:12 PM
by Littlefish
21 Replies
Last post August 28, 2016, 10:50:43 AM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post August 31, 2016, 08:25:00 AM
by Littlefish
24 Replies
Last post December 23, 2016, 03:02:04 PM
by Littlefish
37 Replies
Last post January 05, 2017, 08:01:05 AM
by fcmf
19 Replies
Last post March 05, 2017, 12:53:17 PM
by Littlefish
36 Replies
Last post July 06, 2019, 09:57:11 AM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: