Sue's Tanks September 2019

Author Topic: Sue's tanks September 2019  (Read 3548 times) 6 replies

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Sue's tanks September 2019
« on: September 05, 2019, 10:01:05 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Yesterday I changed my betta's tank from an Aqua One AquaSpace to a 30 cm cubic tank. It is slightly smaller than the old one but has a more betta-friendly cover glass. The old tank's cover glass was half the width of the tank, so there was a quarter exposed at each side. Bettas can jump!
I have no idea what the tank is other than it must be an Aqua One as it had a manufacturer's sticker with that name on it.

The tank has Unipac silica sand on the bottom
The filter is an Aqua One Filter Air 50 sponge filter powered by an Eheim air pump
Heater is a 50w Ehaim Jager
Light is Aquael Leddy Smart 2 Plant clip on light.

Plnats are one silk plant, java fern on wood, bolbitis on wood, water sprite and Brazilian pennywort as floating plants.
The java fern and bolbitis are beginning to grow since I changed the light a few weeks ago, but the floating plants have really taken off - the long strands are water sprite roots.
The arrangement is not final, it'll need tweaking to get it right. This is one advantage of live plants attached to decor  :)

Photos are not technically very good but they show the tank well enough  :-[

Offline Sue

Re: Sue's tanks September 2019
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 10:21:53 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
My main tank next.

This was very tricky to photograph because it is in the dining room and the table is where I needed to stand to get the whole tank in the frame. The clearest photos are all on a tilt  :-[

The tank is custom built by N D Aquatics; it is 42 x 18 x 18 inches or 107 x 45 x 45 cm (the company worked in inches)
Substrate is BD Trading Aquarium Sand
Filtration is two Eheim Biopowers, the 160 and the 200.
Heater is 200 w Eheim Jager
Lighting is 2 x Superfish Bright White retrofit LED tubes. The spectrum of these tubes is not really the best for plants as there is no peak in red, but the plants seem to manage. (If I was buying again, I'd get Aquael Leddy retrofit LED tubes in the Plant version)

The plants include Java fern Windelov, bolbitis, anubias, bucephalandra, and water sprite. The water sprite covers the entire surface now which is why the tank looks so dim. But all the fish are from forested areas and need the shade the water sprite provides. The tank does look brighter in reality  :)

I'll take some more photos of the plants and post them soon. The tank lights are off at the moment.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 02:54:52 PM »
Great shots Sue  :cheers:

The main tank shot is very green indeed, looking lovely  :D

Keep us in the loop on your Betta tank and how it develops.

All this goes to show just how simple keeping planted tanks can be which is what I'd hoped your pictures would do.  A few thoughts others might appreciate on your plant choices...

Java fern does require a little more light than most easy plants, glad it's growing again. The Bolbitis' lack of growth surprises me a little... it's even done well in a very irregularly lit coldwater nano for me.  Glad you have it growing again though, I'll make a note that is prefers higher light too.  Placement on decor helps to be nearer the light too...

Your floating plants should always do well with their access to higher co2 levels and more light. The Brazilian pennywort is such a pretty plant and a great floater, though not normally categorised as such. I have struggled in the past with more boisterous fish tucking into it due to the delicate leaves, it will be safe with your Betta.

Anubias and buce are so hardy. Their slow growth can attract a bit of algae if they are planted in high light areas... yours being in the shade from your floaters are well placed, hardscape or taller plants can also be used to shade them.

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 03:07:09 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
I've placed the java fern of both types in the most brightly lit parts of the tank. The Windelov in the main tank is at the extreme left, and the filter outflow pushes the floating plants towards the right so there is a bit of exposed surface near the filters.
The java fern in the betta's tank is starting to grow taller than with the old light. If it grows tall enough I'll take out the silk plant. I only put that in when the live plants started to fail with the Hidom light (the white and blue one)

The pennywort was originally in the betta's tank but it started dying so I moved it to the 180 litre. It picked up nicely there, so when the water sprite started to grow well in the betta's tank after I got the new light, I moved it back. I'm still finding bits in the 180 litre.

I should have mentioned that the only fertiliser I use is Seachem Flourish, comprehensive supplement for the planted aquarium. I dose it once a week, the day after a water change, at half the recommended dose. This seems to be OK for the low light, slow growing plants I have  (well, slow growing apart from the water sprite)

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2019, 04:00:52 PM »
Really impressed with your tanks, and especially the enviable luscious plants in your main tank - gorgeous!  :cheers:

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2019, 05:06:55 PM »
I intend taking photos of the individual plants as soon as I can, though I think I'll have to shine a light into the tank from outside to make it brighter. We've been a bit busy recently - even my water change this week was 2 days late!

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2019, 10:51:34 AM »
Wow, @Sue  the plants in your main tank are amazing.  :afro

Your tanks look fantastic.  :cheers:

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Sue's tanks September 2019"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post September 27, 2012, 05:11:57 PM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post October 26, 2012, 07:31:11 AM
by Don
20 Replies
Last post September 29, 2013, 02:51:03 PM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post October 17, 2014, 10:10:16 PM
by brian c
1923 Replies
Last post December 30, 2019, 09:29:36 PM
by fcmf
25 Replies
Last post January 01, 2017, 12:44:38 PM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post January 30, 2020, 10:01:00 AM
by Hampalong

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: