Sue's Tanks March 2016

Author Topic: Sue's Tanks March 2016  (Read 10107 times) 43 replies

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Sue's Tanks March 2016
« on: March 18, 2016, 08:43:20 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
As requested, some photos of my tanks. Only a couple though as quite typically the battery light started flashing as soon as I turned the camera on, so I only managed a few. More to come once the batteries have charged.

These are the tanks in the kitchen, the 26 litre and the 50 litre.

The 26 litre needs more work. I bought an anubias, species not given, about a month ago. The rhizome and leaves appear to be rotting and there are hardly any leaves left. I was hoping for a nice bush by now. I think I'm going to have to replace it. I got it from my nearest MA but the type I wanted looked pretty awful in their tank with leaves rotting at the base. So I got a different type from the next tank but whatever was affecting the plants in the first tank seems to have got to the one I bought.
You can see the java fern on the plantpot cave and the hornwort, both weighted down and floating. Behind that is actually a piece of wood with java fern and the anubias.
The black lumps are alder cones.
And please excuse the heater. The betta burned his tail fin on the heater but I couldn't find a heater guard anywhere. I found an old one in the cupboard with worn out suckers and what you can see is what I've had to do to attach the heater guard to the tank.
The tank looks tall and thin simply because it is end on. The tank is that way round so the weight of it is over the worktop support.

The 50 litre contains my cherry shrimps and a few fish. You can make out a few shrimps at the front right and some fish next to the filter. In total in this tank are 2 habrosus cories and 2 pygmy cories; the rest of the shoals have died. 2 Boraras maculatus and 4 Boraras brigittae, also the remains of larger shoals. And 9 green neon tetras - so far I've only lost one of those. You can see a maculatus and a green neon next to the heater. And the snail on the back of the tank.
On the right of the tank I have 3 pieces of wood. The one at the back has java fern and a small anubias; on the right the wood is covered with java moss, and in the foreground the wood has bolbitis growing on it. The whole left side is a tangle of hornwort anchored down with yet another piece of wood. I hardly see the fish in this tank as they all hang out in the hornwort.

Offline Anne

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Re: Sue's Tanks March 2016
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 08:51:53 PM »
Lovely tanks!

Who says you're no good with plants the 50 litre is a mini jungle.

Anne

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 08:54:49 PM »
Love your tanks Sue, the Betta looks amazing and very happy  :)

I like the look of the hornwort plant, I'll definitely add that to my shopping list for the future. I love the height you can achieve with it and it keeps a narrow cylindrical shape  ;)

Great post  8)

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 09:02:03 PM »
The downside to hornwort is that old stems drop those needle-like leaves like an old Christmas tree. Provided you don't mind hoovering it all up, hornwort can be planted, weighted down with something or left to float. I just throw away the bald stems, which is quite easy the way I let it ramble rather than plant it.
Mine grows very quickly. All the hornwort you see came from 5 stems.

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 09:07:03 PM »
I've just noticed the betta's tail in the photo. The top edge of his tail fin shows quite clearly that it is not coloured. That's the new growth after he burned a chunk of it. It shows nicely how fins can regrow although they never look quite the same as they used to.

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2016, 09:10:19 PM »
I was wondering about that... I looked at the fins and thought "they look ok to me..." but I was more concerned with their shape rather than pigment  :)

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2016, 09:46:16 PM »
Fantastic tanks. I like the planting in both tanks.
Your betta looks amazing. I've not seen one that colour and the fins look so elegant.
I spent some time enlarging the second picture to spot the shrimp and fish, so cute.
 ;D

Offline Sue

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2016, 09:49:16 PM »
Your betta looks amazing. I've not seen one that colour and the fins look so elegant.

That's why I got him  :) Even my husband spotted him and said that's the one. He spends more time showing off his fins than any betta I've had before.

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2016, 10:15:19 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Considering you keep saying how you are unsuccessful with live plants, I'm mightily impressed with the greenery in your tanks Sue.

They're lovely. Your Betta is extremely striking too!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2016, 10:57:37 PM »
Really nice tanks Sue, I'm getting bettas pangs again now.  ::)

I have no idea why you think you're bad with plants, I love the bolbitis, I've not seen it in a shop and yours is flourishing and looks amazing so I'm off to google it, I'd really like some.

Thank you for sharing :)

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2016, 09:02:48 AM »
Sue - your betta is absolutely stunning! 

Even my husband spotted him and said that's the one. He spends more time showing off his fins than any betta I've had before.

Wow - your husband has fins too and which compete and surpass the showing-off of a betta?  ;)  :rotfl:

As for the tanks and plants, which look great, perhaps java fern and anubias are your niche. To quote Matt's helpful advice from a posting of mine on another thread:
My experience with plants is that you have to experiment and find what works in your tank... My advice would simply be to go for it and don't be disheartened when it doesn't go to plan, just try something else and you will find your niche.

Offline Sue

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2016, 12:09:38 PM »
Thank you all  :)

I think plants that grow on decor must be my niche; it's plants that grow planted in the substrate I have problems with, the kind of plants that everyone else seems to grow with no problems  :-\

I like the bolbitis, it has lovely fern shaped leaves. It's another plants that grows fastened to decor.

I've just noticed that the head of a habrosus cory is poking out from beneath the wood with java moss. They both like it under there. the pygmy cories prefer to be under the hornwort.

The batteries should be finished charging at 6.30 this evening so I'll try and photograph the big tank after that.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2016, 12:31:12 PM »
The batteries should be finished charging at 6.30 this evening so I'll try and photograph the big tank after that.

YAY!!! :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2016, 07:28:11 PM »
This is my big tank, in the dining room. It's a custom built tank as most of the 'off the peg' tanks this volume are too tall. I measured the water I put in when I set it up and it took 188 litres, so I call it my 180 litre tank. The maker used inches rather than cm, so the tank is 42 inches wide x 18 in deep x 18 in tall.
I'm afraid the water looks a bit greenish at the moment as I added the last dose of eSHa Exit this afternoon.

In this tank are:
13 cherry barbs - 5 f, 2 m natural coloured and 3m, 3f albino (males orange and females yellow)
12 golden pencilfish (aka beckford's pencilfish). I think they are 50/50 males and females, they won't keep still to let me count them
3 Apistogramma agassizii 'fire red' - 1m, 2f
3 dwarf chain loaches
4 otocinclus
6 stiphodons, species not known
4 Microdevario kubotai (last of a shoal)
2 ember tetras (last of a shoal)
5 nerite snails

The plants are more of the same, only there are 4 different species of anubias and there is the Wendelov variety of java fern as well as plain.
And when I went snail hunting before adding the whitespot medication I managed to dislodge a chunk of java fern from the top of the wood in the middle. I'll re-attach it when the med has finished its job.

The wood doesn't have anything nasty on it, those white spots on a couple of pieces are nerite eggs!

Offline Sue

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2016, 07:30:23 PM »
And some of the fish in the 180 litre.

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2016, 07:47:31 PM »
Very nice Sue. Your 180L has really impressive dimensions, I can see why you chose to go down the custom route.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2016, 08:18:36 PM »
Fantastic tank Sue. I agree with Simon, good dimensions and can see why you got a custom tank. The footprint allows for much more swimming space than a standard tank.
I really like your stiphodons, they are very pretty.
Great tank  :cheers:

Offline Sue

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2016, 09:01:04 PM »
The dimensions convert to 107 x 45 x 45 cm. Compare that to the Juwel Rio 180 which is 101cm long x 41cm deep x 50cm tall. That 5cm less height makes all the difference to my reach  :)

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2016, 09:04:58 PM »
I completely agree with you. It's not easy to reach the bottom of a tank sometimes.  ;D

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2016, 10:17:14 AM »
Absolutely fantastic. Also great to see pics of some fish close-up.  :fishy1:

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Sue's Tanks March 2016"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post September 27, 2012, 05:11:57 PM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post October 26, 2012, 07:31:11 AM
by Don
20 Replies
Last post September 29, 2013, 02:51:03 PM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post October 17, 2014, 10:10:16 PM
by brian c
1923 Replies
Last post December 30, 2019, 09:29:36 PM
by fcmf
4 Replies
Last post July 15, 2016, 06:25:29 PM
by fcmf
4 Replies
Last post December 11, 2016, 09:38:16 AM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: