Sue's Tanks March 2016

Author Topic: Sue's Tanks March 2016  (Read 10172 times) 43 replies

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Sue's Tanks March 2016
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2016, 10:53:44 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
A really lovely tank Sue  :) and the custom built tank is a flipping good idea, did you get it built?

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • aka Donna
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2016, 11:07:02 AM »
I was talking to one of the guys at MA last week (the one who pointed out the 240L tank on sale) and he was telling me about the company they use. They have the Seashell all glass aquariums on their website, but he said they also do custom tanks. Apparently if you want a tall tank (above standard) it does become quite expensive, but shorter/wider tanks are pretty reasonable. I guess "pretty reasonable" is all relative when considering tank price, but if it's exactly what you want, and makes reaching the bottom of the tank a bit easier, then I figuring that's a good thing.  :)

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2016, 11:20:44 AM »
My son's 140l tank is ridiculously tall, it makes cleaning a nightmare.

Offline Sue

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2016, 11:26:50 AM »
When the bracer bar in my 125 litre came detached from the back and the glass started to bow, I decided I wouldn't trust myself to repair it - and I'd have to find somewhere else to house the fish while any repair was done. My husband readily agreed to me getting a new tank, I'm surprised no-one heard the sound of my jaw hitting the floor  ;D. I had suggested to him that if we rehomed the piano which hadn't been played since the children left home then there would be room for a bigger tank in the dining room. The 125 litre was in the lounge and the very slight humming from the filter was a huge interference to his music listening so I think he would have agreed to anything that made the lounge tank free  :)

A look on-line confirmed my suspicions that most ready made bigger tanks were quite a bit taller than my 125, especially when the stand was included. I'm only 5 ft 4 inches and wouldn't have been able to reach the bottom.
I did look at MA's custom built tanks but the cabinets put my husband off as it would need to match the dining room furniture  :-\  I'd heard of ND Aquatics on another website and everyone who'd bought one was very pleased with the tanks. Their website at the time quoted prices for certain sizes, and to email them for other sizes so I did and they made me a tank the size I wanted. And a cabinet that matched.

The 180 is made from 10mm glass, unlike the 125 which was 6mm, and the front panel is opti-white glass. It has sliding glass covers and hinged lid made from the same board as the cabinet. Instead of a plastic bracer bar siliconed to front and back panels - the back edge became unstuck in the 125 - it has glass strips along all 4 sides level with the top of the tank. This seems to be the preferred method with most custom built sites I looked at.

The only thing I regret about this tank is that I didn't get a 48 inch tank instead of 42 inch  ;D

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2016, 11:51:43 AM »
Blimey, I just had a look at ND aquatics website. Its so flippin cheap!

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2016, 11:54:41 AM »
That sounds good, especially with a matching cabinet.
I was considering getting a custom made tank for the axolotls. I have a 1.5 meter space currently taken up with a tank and a bookcase. Also, as axolotls don't need deep water, a shallower tank with a larger footprint would be better. It would also free up a 200L and a 125L for fish.  :)
As one trio is juvenile (approx. 15cm) and the other trio is verging on mature (and approx. 25cm) they can't be put together. I think I will also wait until they are all mature (possibly the end of this year) so that they can be sexed before deciding which ones go together (because there's only so many axolotls eggs anyone needs).
Hopefully I will be able to keep my MTS in check until the right time.  ::)

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2016, 12:00:06 PM »
 :yikes:  :o  ;D
OMFG! I just had a look on the site too.
Fiona, you are not kidding about them being cheap.
With a cabinet, tank & hood.
 :o

Offline Sue

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2016, 12:16:48 PM »
If I hadn't gone for the opti while panel, my tank would have only cost a bit more tank the eheim tank that was the ready made I liked best. I used my combined birthday and Christmas present off my mother to buy it.

The downside was the delivery cost with me being outside their area. They used another courier to do longer distances but shortly before I got the tank I had an email from them, also addressed to several other people, saying they'd had problems with the courier damaging tanks and cabinets so would we all be happy for them to deliver our tanks on this date so they could do them all at one go. They were very reliable and arrived exactly when they said they would, unpacked everything, put the cabinet where I wanted it and set the tank up on top with a thick layer of polystyrene between.
I see from their website that delivery is now free except for a list, which includes me, where delivery is subcontracted out. I presume they have found a new courier!

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2016, 12:28:42 PM »
Delivery, unpacking and set up, all for that price!
That's fantastic ;D

Offline Sue

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2016, 12:36:21 PM »
If they do the delivery, they send one man. He'll set it up but you need to help, and with huge tanks you need a few friends as well.
If you are out of the area and a courier delivers, not only do you have to pay for delivery but the courier won't do anything. I was lucky that they delivered it themselves due to an unreliable courier, and because of the distance they had to drive there were two of them. I had the feeling that this delivery was a one off, and the email was sent to 5 of us to make it worth their while for a long trip.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2016, 01:26:54 PM »
I've checked on the site and I'm within the delivery area.
Oh dear, the temptation.  :-[

Offline Sue

« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2016, 02:14:36 PM »
Before you get too tempted, bear in mind that the prices on the website are just for the tank and cabinet. Lights, heater and filter are extra, if you want the brands they sell.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2016, 02:58:13 PM »
Sue
I may have missed something, but how is the tank covered and lit? Does it have a conventional hood?

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2016, 03:36:15 PM »
Thanks for the information Sue.
I'm trying to let common sense rule the day. It would make more sense for me to wait until the axolotls mature before I invest in a custom tank.
However, it is good to know that there is a company available that has a good reputation, personal recommendations, is very reasonably priced, and can deliver.
 ;D

Offline Sue

« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2016, 04:22:40 PM »
Richard - the tank itself has cover glasses, and if you buy a cabinet the tank comes with a matching trim. This can either have a lid, or just the trim for use with an over tank luminaire. I have the version with a lid.

The trim is made from the same board as the cabinet, four pieces of board joined together to slot over the top of the tank. Inside are several shelf supports which sit on top of the tank sides and hold the trim in place.
The lid comes in 2 sections; the back third is fixed to the trim and the front two thirds are hinged to the back third. The lights are attached to the underside of the fixed third.

Since a picture paints a thousand words, I've taken a couple of photos. Please ignore the mess on the reflectors, it is quite hard to clean them (that's my excuse). The tank originally had fluorescent tubes. These were held in place by clips attached to the reflectors, and the reflectors themselves are fixed to two cross pieces attached to the back third of the lid. I now have LED tubes which you can see reflected in the cover glass (it may look like three but there are only two). I should take the reflectors out as LED's don't need them but that would mean lifting the hood off the tank and it is very heavy.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2016, 04:38:14 PM »
Thanks Sue, I have the picture now. At some time I'm thinking of replacing a couple of smaller tanks with one big one. However, like you, I wouldn't be looking to get bigger fish,but larger shoals of small fish. The longer I keep fish, the more I like the little ones best, provided they are in numbers.

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2016, 04:49:37 PM »
I agree.

I find a large shoal of small fish far more interesting and appealing than a small shoal of larger fish.

:fishy1: :fishy1: :fishy1: :fishy1: :fishy1: :fishy1: :fishy1: :fishy1: :fishy1: :fishy1: :fishy1: :fishy1: :fishy1: :fishy1: :fishy1: :fishy1: :fishy1: :fishy1: :fishy1: :fishy1: :fishy1: :fishy1: :fishy1: :fishy1:

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2016, 04:54:25 PM »
The biggest fish in the 180 are the dwarf chain loaches.

After losing so many fish to camallanus worms last year, when I restocked I went for slightly bigger fish that I had before. I went from 1 inch fish to 2 inch fish  :)

Offline jesnon

« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2016, 11:11:04 AM »
Hi Sue  :wave: I'm back in the forum again! Seems like it's got much busier than my last visit!

Absolutely love your tanks and your Betts is gorgeous!  :D

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2016, 11:21:55 AM »
Hi Jesnon, nice to see you back  :)

I've had the betta almost a year. I bought him on 25 March last year so he's probably around 18 months old.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Sue's Tanks March 2016"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post September 27, 2012, 05:11:57 PM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post October 26, 2012, 07:31:11 AM
by Don
20 Replies
Last post September 29, 2013, 02:51:03 PM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post October 17, 2014, 10:10:16 PM
by brian c
1923 Replies
Last post December 30, 2019, 09:29:36 PM
by fcmf
4 Replies
Last post July 15, 2016, 06:25:29 PM
by fcmf
4 Replies
Last post December 11, 2016, 09:38:16 AM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: