Sue's Tanks And Fish

Author Topic: Sue's tanks and fish  (Read 11102 times) 20 replies

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Sue's tanks and fish
« on: April 16, 2013, 07:33:24 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I spent ages this afternoon trying to take some photos of my 125 litre tank. I was not happy with the results so I'll have to try again when the camera batteries have recharged. But some of the fish photos came out OK - except for the endlers of course.
Here are:

Female Apistogramma cacatuoides. She is from the fry I bred last year.

The shoal of green neon tetras, Paracheirodon simulans. And the tiger endler zooming past - that's what the yellow streak is  ;D

One of the two zebra nerite snails. They are easy to take photos of as they don't move very fast  ;D

The endlers. I have just males in this tank and they will not keep still. I dropped a bit of food pellet in to get them where I wanted them but this was the best of about two dozen pics believe it or not. The four on the left are what I called wild type (recognised by the blue patch in front of the dorsal fin), the orange blur on the right of the group is a black bar type, and they yellow blob on the right is the tiger endler again. The fish behind them is the female apisto.

As you can tell, photography is not one of my strong points  :-[

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
Re: Sue's tanks and fish
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 08:25:57 PM »
How did you manage to get the Nerite Snail to sit still?  ;D

In order to get the Endlers (or any other fast moving fish) sharper you need to increase the shutter speed.  Now, depending on your camera, there are a number of ways you may be able to do this.
  • ISO Increase the ISO setting.  The default will probably be 100.  Experiment with higher settings.  The downside is that your pictures will get grainier as you increase the setting.
  • Program Change from 'AUTO' to 'SHUTTER PRIORITY' if you can.  You can then set the shutter speed manually.  You will need about 1/125 second if you can.  The penalty for this is you get less depth of field.  In other words there will be less of your tank, front to back, that is in focus.
  • Lights Add some lighting if you can.  But, don't be tempted to use an on-camera flash.
  • Tripod If you've got one, use a tripod.  It won't affect the shutter speed, but it will help with keeping things in focus.
  • Finally If all else fails, whack one of the little buggers on the head and photograph him then!  :) ;) :D

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline jesnon

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 09:46:59 PM »
Great photos Sue, fishy in first photo is gorgeous!

And Steve I shall be trying out your fishy photography tips on my endlers again, except maybe the last one! :-D

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline ColinB

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 07:24:05 AM »
Lovely photos Sue. The Apisto's a good looking fish - very pretty.

Any chance of a whole tank shot, please - the plants and wood etc look great and I'm always looking for inspiration for the 'next tank'.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 11:39:20 AM »
Steve - I'll sit down with the camera manual and work out how to do the settings you give. I do use a tripod (you should see the results without  ;D ) .

I did take some full tank pics but even taking the photos at an angle to the tank you could see me, the camera, the tripod, my husband's hi-fi and the floor lamp frame all refected in the glass. I managed some more but the batteries went flat before I could load them onto my laptop, so watch this space......

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 02:54:31 PM »
A few more pics from yesterday (finally downloaded them) -

First the whole tank.
The background is one of Takashi Amano's landscapes, all wood and plants and shrimps. The plants on the left are synthetic, and the those on the right are real. The reason the left side looks darker is because of the floating plants held down at that end by the filter flow. The live plants are mainly java fern, but there is a small bit of anubias as well, and the floating plant is Silvania (I can't decide from photos if it's S minima or S natans). The wood was sold as a piece of mangrove root. The woman in the shop said it doesn't leach tannins so I didn't need to soak it, and she was quite right. When viewed from square on, the wood obscures the filter quite nicely.

The yellowy fish with the orange tail at top right is the male honey gourami. His territory is between the filter spraybar and the glass - being bubblenesters, male gouramis like areas with minimum water movement. His lady friends are the yellow fish next to the thermometer and the one just at the edge of the bushy plastic plant.
The shoal of green neons is quite easily seen in front of the heater.
At the bottom, you can see the male Apistograma cacatuoides and one of the three dwarf chain loaches (Ambastaia sidthumunki)
And there's a zebra nerite on the glass at the right hand side.
If you look carefully at the leaf right at the bottom of the heater, you can see an amano shrimp.

You can also see the scratch caused by getting sand caught under the algae scraper, that's the white line crossing the filter. And the mess around the piece of wood. That's what wood looks like after it's been through a snail's digestive system.

And some more fish:
A dwarf chain loach
The male apisto and a female honey gourami. And an amano shrimp just above the gourami.
And a better than before photo of one of the wild-type endler guppies. There is a black bar type at 2 o'clock from him.

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 03:20:32 PM »
I did take some full tank pics but even taking the photos at an angle to the tank you could see me, the camera, the tripod, my husband's hi-fi and the floor lamp frame all reflected in the glass. I managed some more but the batteries went flat before I could load them onto my laptop, so watch this space......

There are a couple of ways to handle unwanted reflections.  Place the camera at an angle so that it reflects a large piece of dark cloth or card.  This is what us photographic types call "cheating".  Secondly, turn out the lights in your room whilst taking photos.

There is a third option but I am not sure it will work.  You can get non-reflective glass or acrylic sheet.  It is intended for photo frames.  A piece of acrylic 1200x300 will cost around £9.  Placing this over the
front of your tank may eliminate reflections.  It may not though, I haven't actually tried this!

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 04:23:25 PM »
I took the second set of photos with the curtains drawn - I finally remembered that's what I did on the old forum. The results were a lot better - they're the ones I finally downloaded from the camera today. I still have to play with the settings for the fast fish though.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 04:27:41 PM »
Lovely fishies and tank Sue! Great stuff :-D

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2013, 02:38:31 PM »
I spent an hour this morning swapping fish. I've moved the ember tetras from the 50 litre to the 125 litre, and the male endlers the other way.

I don't have female endlers any more. When I gave away the last lot of fry, I gave the females away too. So I have only 8 males.
The ember tetras were not happy in the 50 litre. I think they felt very exposed; it's not got as much in the way of cover as the 125, and it's in the kitchen so gets more passing 'traffic' than the 125, so I decided they'd be better off in the bigger tank.

In order to catch these two lots of fish, I had to remove everything from both tanks.
In the 50, when I lifted one of the pieces of wood, I discovered half a pygmy cory under it. Well, stuck to it. I have the horrible feeling I might have squashed it during a water change on Tuesday - I lifted the wood up to clean under it, and I think I might have put it down on top of the cory  :-[ But once the tank was empty, I found a cory fry! It is about 3mm long so not newly hatched.

Since I had all 8 male endlers in a bag, I siezed the opportunity to photgraph them  ;D The photos don't do them justice - they don't show the iridescent patches of colour, only the solid colours. But you can get the idea.

In the first photo, the fish sideways on are the tiger endler at the bottom, and one of the 'wild type' (my name for them) above it.
The 'wild type' have a blue-purple iridescent patch on their backs just in front of the dorsal fin - that's the white blob in the photo. They also have tiny black spots on their abdomens, a patch of green just in front of the tail, and yellow in the dorsal fin.

The second photo shows the black neon at the top (right next to the blob of light reflecting off the bag) He has a dark grey head with yellow behind, then a patch of orange and more dark grey, then fluorescent white at the sides of his tail and dorsal fin.
The one at the bottom right against the white part of the bag is a black bar type. Besides the black and orange you can see in the photo, they have iridescent green on their bellies and just in front of their tails.

Sorry they aren't very good pics. Jesnon's photos put these to shame.

Offline Sue

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2013, 04:26:51 PM »
A few more fuzzy pics, but at least they show the colours. I had to tempt them to one place in the tank with a food pellet - and that brought out a pygmy cory as well.

Edit to add:
There are 8 endlers: 1 tiger, 1 black neon, 2 black bar and 4 'wild' type.

If anyone can identify what variety the 'wild' ones are, I would be very grateful  ;D

Edit #2
Answered my own question. The 'wild' type are snake chests. See pics labelled #13 here

The black neon was from a line selectivley bred from a sport of the neon hybrid endler in the middle of the page here

Offline jesnon

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2013, 04:40:55 PM »
Lovely pics again Sue. I love my little endlers, and I'm pretty much set on getting a new one now to bring my numbers back up ^^; Apparently a LFS has the peacock and wild type ones in atm so very tempted to pop down on my weekend off. But I also still want my shrimp!

Offline Sue

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2013, 04:44:27 PM »
I think I might have identified the 'wild' one - see the edit in my last post!

Offline jesnon

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2013, 08:15:34 PM »
Ooh great stuff - glad you solved the mystery! My endler Scutter (he's one of the black bar, though one is shorter than the other unlike Bob where both are the same length) is still about half the size of all the others - will he ever grow!?

Offline Sue

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2013, 12:47:32 PM »
Endlers are smaller than guppies, and all endlers in shops are hybrids of the two going back generations. It will partly depend on what proportion of your small endler's genetics are guppy. The less guppy in him, the more likely he is to be small. And of course there will be developmental factors to take into account.
He may possibly catch up with the others, or he may stay smaller.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2013, 05:59:52 PM »
That makes sense! I don't mind him being small, I just wondered if he was just younger than the others or something. I've just seen some photos on one of my LFS page of what I THINK are endlers... and now I wish I'd been there this weekend - they look gorgeous!

Offline Sue

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2013, 07:01:11 PM »
The little one at the back is definitely an endler. No idea what type though. The problem is that the named varieties refer to pure endler and with the ones in the shops being hybrids the names don't really apply. But the one in the photo is very pretty, especially with those markings on his tail!

The fish at the front is a dwarf pencilfish, or just possibly a young three stripe pecilfish (though the fins are a bit too red for the last one)

Offline Sue

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2013, 07:24:27 PM »
The ages I spent yesterday trying to catch fish has paid off. In the smaller tank the ember tetras would swim in a huddle in the back corner behind a plant whenever there was someone moving in the room. If I stood still and watched from a distance they did venture out a bit but scuttled straight back when they saw movement. Now they are in the bigger tank they are everywhere. And their colours are a lot more vivid; they really do live up to their name now.
And the smaller tank no longer looks empty with the endlers in it. They are not shy fish. It is interesting that the cories are coming out of hiding as well since I put the endlers in.

The 50 litre is not that small. It has a 60 x 30 cm footprint, the same as the 60 litre that leaked. It's just not as tall as the old 60 litre. Ember teras can be kept in a 45 x 30cm tank, so it wasn't the size that was affecting them. So was it the fewer hiding places compared to the bigger tank or the fact that there is a lot more movement past the 50 litre?

Offline jesnon

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2013, 07:46:34 PM »
Thanks Sue - I thought he was but wasn't 100% sure.

But the one in the photo is very pretty, especially with those markings on his tail!

I know right!? I need him in my tank! It's a shame the shop is too awkward for me to get too on the bus, otherwise I'd be there after my shift tomorrow! Unfortunately that particular fish pic was posted from someone showing their fish settling in, so he already has a home. Damn! I'm hoping there are some similar ones still though, he's too pretty to resist :D

Offline george

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2013, 02:01:19 PM »
i have 2 of them snails, also them endlers look nice, are they live bearers like guppies? do they get infected easy? nice pics

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Sue's tanks and fish"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post September 27, 2012, 05:11:57 PM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post April 10, 2014, 10:47:22 PM
by jesnon
5 Replies
Last post July 02, 2015, 01:46:19 PM
by Fiona
102 Replies
Last post July 13, 2016, 02:04:47 PM
by Littlefish
20 Replies
Last post May 12, 2016, 07:10:08 AM
by Richard W
9 Replies
Last post February 15, 2017, 07:50:08 AM
by Littlefish
0 Replies
Last post November 28, 2019, 07:44:32 PM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: