Author Topic: South American tank - Littlefish  (Read 3287 times) 5 replies

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka Donna
South American tank - Littlefish
« on: August 30, 2016, 08:39:33 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
As I had pretty much trashed the tank removing Harry the bristlenose plec after I saw him being nipped by a penguin tetra, and not really done anything about it as I was also using the tank to store some of the plants I was collecting for the puffer tank rework, I decided to try to have a bit of a tidy up over the weekend. After I had completed the puffer tank, was part-way through working up the tiger barb tank, and was clearing out the temporary 70L tanks, I could finally review what plants I had left. I had more of some than expected, so decided that it was time to treat the hatchets and tetras.
The wood pile at the back right is the amano shrimp area, which has always been there, but I added some more pieces. The shrimp venture all over the tank, and seem to be enjoying standing on top of the large rocks, but most often hang out in their patch. The penguin and glass blood fin tetras seem to enjoy swimming through the plants, as well as having a fair amount of open swimming space. I was always under the impression that the silver hatchets liked a lot of cover as they were surface feeders, so was quite pleased with the bulbs (can't remember what they are called) that grew the reddish heart shaped leaves that float on the surface. Those bulbs went crazy, so the foliage had to have a drastic trim, and I had to split off some of the growth to plant in another area, but they are quite pretty plants and they offer good surface coverage, along with the frogbit, to keep everyone happy.
I'm going to have another rummage through the plants that I still have spare, so I can plant more along the back because I'm not keen on the background, but can't get behind the tank to change it.
As for the fish, bless their little fins, they tolerated several hours each day with me shoulder deep in their tank replanting and rearranging. For relatively nervous/jumpy fish they've made it through the weekend without incident.  :)

Offline ColinB

Re: South American tank - Littlefish
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 09:35:26 PM »
Another great layout, Donna. Nice one!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 10:09:38 PM »
Thanks Colin.
I think I'm getting a bit restless waiting for the big tanks to be delivered. I hope I can reign myself in and give all the fish a rest from all the replanting for a few weeks now.  :)

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 10:13:46 PM »
Oh wow - great indeed! So glad everyone seems to be enjoying their new environments.

Offline apache6467

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Catfish Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 07:34:31 AM »
Brilliant!
Do you recommend any plants that my cories and whippies won't uproot! The hatchets look nice!
Shame about harry, tetras just nip because fo their nature and i hope hi is doing well in his other tank!

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 08:25:00 AM »
Thanks both  :)

As for plants, java fern and anubias species, anything that can be tied to decor can't be uprooted - I've used both in my axolotl tanks. Strangely, and because the LFS didn't have the large anubias I wanted and I was impatient, I've even got amazon swords tied to decor, which have done well and even have new plants on runners floating near the surface. The peppered cories in my temperate tanks have favourite rummaging areas. In one corner of the 50L tank they have shifted the sand almost down to the base of the tank. I knew that in advance, so I put small, rounded rocks around the plants that I have near there, so the cories can't uproot them.
Deep substrate, plant wieghts, large pebbles, etc will all help to keep your plants in place. Even putting rocks around plants until they are very well rooted/established, then taking the rocks away, will be a great help.

There are also much more experienced plant people on the forum, perhaps they will offer advice. I've only moved to live plants in the past few months. I don't have much knowledge/experience, but tend to give things a go and see if they work. Some do (sometimes too well), some don't (epic fails are common). Also, as you have bottom feeders you are going to have to expect some disturbance.  ;D

Harry is doing very well in the 70L tank. It is too small for him really, but he is only around 5cm at the moment, so he's coping. When the big tanks arrive and I move my axolotls, Harry will be moved to one of the vacated 100cm/200litre tanks. Possibly with some rainbow fish, possibly some synodontis. The BEA can either go in with Harry, but if they don't get on he can have the other 200L tank.  :)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "South American tank - Littlefish"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
59 Replies
Last post November 14, 2016, 09:07:12 PM
by Littlefish
21 Replies
Last post August 28, 2016, 10:50:43 AM
by Sue
14 Replies
Last post November 20, 2016, 08:51:54 PM
by Littlefish
24 Replies
Last post December 23, 2016, 03:02:04 PM
by Littlefish
37 Replies
Last post January 05, 2017, 08:01:05 AM
by fcmf
144 Replies
Last post October 07, 2019, 08:47:30 PM
by Littlefish
2 Replies
Last post October 10, 2018, 12:56:30 PM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: