Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
Re: South America Project Update
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2017, 07:33:53 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Thanks for the comments. :)

@Matt There should be plenty of hiding spots in the tank as is but even more once the plants grow a bit more.  I'm hoping to get some fry out of them and if I do I'll hook you up.

@Sue I hope to create many breaks for line of sight and spawning caves have been placed with plenty of space between.  In my PNG tank the gudgeons spar all the time.  I have five males and one female.  :/

I waited until today to add pics because I have my not so good pics of the tank but my wife got her camera out and got some fish close ups.  Also added to the tank are the 'Super Blue' Emperor Tetra and Green Fire Bloodfin Tetra.  They all need to colour up a bit.

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2017, 07:37:03 PM »
More pics

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2017, 07:42:30 PM »
And more pics.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2017, 10:34:48 PM »
@Matt There should be plenty of hiding spots in the tank as is but even more once the plants grow a bit more.  I'm hoping to get some fry out of them and if I do I'll hook you up.

Well in that case... I hope it goes very well indeed ;D

Nice pics, I can see how as the plants will continue to grow yout scape will look even better too.

I hope everyone settles in ok over the next few days.

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • aka Donna
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2017, 07:35:18 AM »
Great tank.  8)

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2017, 01:46:39 PM »
Been very busy with the fishkeeping (cyano bacteria in the PNG tank, swim bladder issue with one of the white clouds) and school half term so haven't been as active as usual.  Here's an update for this project.

First the bad news.  One of the 'Super Blue' Emperor Tetras showed symptoms of what looked like neon tetra disease (Erractic swimming and s-shaped body) so I removed it straight away.  Ran a course of eSha 2000 on the tank.  Nothing cures neon tetra disease but eSha 2000 claims to stop transmission between fish.  I've been keeping an eye on all the fish and currently have a 'Super Blue' with a small white lump on his flank and one with a single eye popped out but no one showing symptoms for neon tetra disease.  I'll be starting a course of Melafix/Pimafix on the tank today.  On the whole I'm not overly enamoured with these fish.  They are super blue but only when they catch the light in specific ways which is not often enough.

One of my female apistos turned out to be a sleeper male and as he was so small compared to the other males was hounded until he had popeye in both eyes and was not in a good way.  I decided euthanasia was the best course for this poor guy.  The remaining three males are looking good but definitely in territorial mode, especially the alpha male.

At the moment I'm holding off from running a dewormer on the tank as it will kill my snails and shrimp.  If problems persist I'll have to go that way.  The shrimp are still clearing the algae from the woods so I need more of them anyway.  So that's quite a bit of bad news.

The good news is that the Green Fire Bloodfin Tetra are doing great and haven't shown any issues yet.  They do nibble the Bacopa in the tank but it's OK as it's growing fast enough.  They're growing nicely and their greens and reds are looking good.  I wasn't expecting the tips of their fins to be such a pure white though but it only helps to make them look better.  Really liking this fish.

On the subject of pleasant surprises.  I had no previous experience with Apistos so when one of the females turned a bright golden colour and its lateral line turned into a dot it was all very exciting.  Some pictures below but they don't do justice to how beautiful the fish is or the shiny iridescence around the head.  Looks like something out of Tron.  The dot is also turning back into a line.  I've looked this up and it's a good sign that she is with eggs or has laid them already. :D  I'll lose this first batch as I have no breeding tank setup.  That will change soon as the Forktails are 2 cm long and ready to go in the PNG tank and after the Amazon tank treatments the L397's can be moved out of the grow out tank and into the main one.  Anyhoo, it looks like it will be easy to breed the Apistos.  If, like Matt, you want some of these let me know.  These are £20 a pair fish for which you'll be charged shipping only.  Of course it will be a while as I'll have to grow them out to a size where they can be sexed.

Offline Sue

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2017, 02:50:26 PM »
You'll know if the female apisto has laid eggs if she suddenly starts chasing all the fish away from a spot where she goes into hiding. None of mine ever harmed the other fish, just chased them away.

Lovely photos of her  :)

When you say you are holding off running a dewormer, do you mean you think the fish have worms or just a precaution? If the fish do have camallanus worms, look at eSHa-ndx as that contains the active ingredient recommended for camallanus.

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2017, 05:12:51 PM »
She's been trying to defend her area.  It's in the tunnel section beneath the tree branches.  :)  I don't think the fish have worms so just a precautionary dosage.  Thankfully no signs of camallanus worms as that would be an even bigger disaster.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2017, 07:14:32 PM »
Is there any treatment for Popeye? One of my sparkling gourami has it in one eye but i cant find any reliable info on a cure.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2017, 07:15:05 PM »
You have had quite a busy time. Sorry to hear that you've had some issues.
I hope that your female apisto is doing well, the pictures of her are great and she looks amazing. Please keep us updated on progress of any eggs/little ones.

Offline Sue

« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2017, 07:21:02 PM »
Is there any treatment for Popeye? One of my sparkling gourami has it in one eye but i cant find any reliable info on a cure.

Popeye in one eye is usually physical damage; popeye in both eyes is swelling inside the fish. The latter is harder to cure.

For physical damage, the best thing is lots of clean water - that is lots of water changes - and it should heal by itself, though watch for infections getting into the damaged area.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2017, 07:33:22 PM »
That's Sue that was the conclusion I came too, but its very reassuring indeed to know that I'm on the right tracks in the 'just clean water treatment'. I'd hate for there to be something more I should be doing if you see what I mean...

Offline Andy The Minion

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2017, 11:00:22 PM »
@Matt As you have the correct answer already could I just add - Did you think of trying Olive Oil?  ;D

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2017, 05:54:09 AM »
I might try spinach Andy!   ;D

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2017, 10:45:28 PM »
No new problems in the tank and no more fish losses.  The Bacopa Australis is growing great and the Heteranthera zosterifolia is popping up in the back.  The Alternanthera reineckii Mini isn't looking too great but hasn't died and the Potamogeton gayi has failed to rise but seems happy to just sit there.  All the Echinodorus is doing well with the quadricostatus growing like crazy.  The Littorella uniflora hasn't done anything at all so I may have to consider a different carpet plant.  In the meantime I've changed fert doses to twice a week and may go daily.

I think I had eggs from the apistos but nothing came of it.  At the moment if I did get fry they'd be eaten fairly quickly.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "South America Project Update"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
2 Replies
Last post July 06, 2013, 07:16:30 PM
by maz1
12 Replies
Last post September 18, 2014, 09:43:00 PM
by Rich_D
2 Replies
Last post December 22, 2014, 10:34:15 AM
by Mad_BMS
1 Replies
Last post October 02, 2015, 06:55:20 PM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post August 31, 2016, 08:25:00 AM
by Littlefish
31 Replies
Last post February 23, 2017, 08:38:36 PM
by MarquisMirage
2 Replies
Last post October 10, 2018, 12:56:30 PM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: