Shrimp Tank Set Up

Author Topic: Shrimp tank set up  (Read 7540 times) 25 replies

Offline brian c

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Re: Shrimp tank set up
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2015, 12:59:06 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
man,you are so lucky.i am jealous of how AWESOME your shrimp tank looks like.on a side note,do you ever have to change out the water on the tank?or do the plants take care of it?

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2015, 11:00:25 AM »
Hi!

Thanks for all your kind comments regarding my lovely shrimp!! I have done a shrimp count this morning and have found all but one of them. She is one of my yellows and was very pale yesterday but hopefully she'll put in an appearance later. (I need a shrimp smiley to go here!!)

Brian, regarding water changes, i will need to keep on top of those as shrimps are sensitive to water conditions. I'll have to be especially careful while I get used to how much to feed them as any left over food will cause an ammonia spike, which I do not want!!  I don't think my planting is sufficient to do much at the mo!!

I've had to take the Glow-Lights out as they were really going for the shrimps through the bags during acclimatisation and was worried they would eat them or at least have a chew!! They were so happy to go back in the big tank and see their mates though!!   :fishy1:

FC76

Offline Diz1

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2015, 01:37:54 PM »
Hi Fishcake,

Congrats on your shrimpery! Your wee shrimpies look amazing! I can't wait to get some myself. I'm trying my Betta in with the cories tomorrow and if he behaves himself, I can start thinking about setting up my own shrimpery.

One thing I didn't really understand though was your comment on water changing. I realise that water changes have to be done regularly, but is an ammonia spike likely to happen in an shrimp-only tank?
I thought shrimps had a low bioload and that it was the possibility of ammonia spikes in a community tank that had to be watched for, rather than an ammonia spike in a tank containing only shrimp.

I'm quite prepared to be told that I'm being dense though, so please feel free to go ahead and do so! :)

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2015, 04:09:50 PM »
Diz, I took fishcake to mean she will have to watch the excess food being left so that she doesn't get an ammonia spike, not that the shrimp bioload causes it.

I hope that's what was meant anyway as I was thinking of getting shrimp myself at some stage just because they have a low bioload

Offline Diz1

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2015, 04:28:44 PM »
Oh, of course – see I was being dense all along as I suspected! Thanks for the explanation Sanjo! :cheers:

Feeding is another thing I'm not sure about. in a community tank, i think there's enough food around for the shrimp to live off, but in a shrimpery you'd have to feed them specifically. According to what I've read, I would need to add calcium to the water because my scottish water is very soft. i know that you can get calcium blocks that are combined with food as well, but I'm not sure if they would require more than that. I guess it is quite likely that you could overfeed them until you knew what you were doing.

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2015, 05:36:00 PM »
Hi,

Yes Sanjo is right. I did mean that until I know how much food they actually need I am likely to over feed in fear of not feeding enough!!!  On my Shrimp cuisine packet it says to feed several times a day but on a shrimp website I've referred to it says to feed once a day.

It does seem that all they do is wander around looking for food, but as scavengers I guess that's what they are meant to do!! I'm going to feed once a day for now and see how they go. I do have some snails in there too and I intend to get some ottos as well in time so I may need to increase this.

I've found my little pale yellow shrimp who I've decided on close inspection is a he and not a she!!! So all accounted for and happy!!

FC76

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Shrimp tank set up"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post August 10, 2014, 09:26:52 AM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post September 20, 2014, 11:12:44 PM
by dbaggie
10 Replies
Last post September 30, 2014, 02:43:19 PM
by Sue
8 Replies
Last post June 11, 2015, 02:42:05 PM
by Fiona
1 Replies
Last post July 05, 2015, 09:32:04 AM
by Sue
20 Replies
Last post January 26, 2018, 08:40:16 PM
by Fishbeard
6 Replies
Last post December 30, 2017, 01:19:11 PM
by Rustle

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: