Author Topic: Setting up a 'Temperate' Pond  (Read 40142 times) 145 replies

Offline daveyng

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Re: Setting up a 'Temperate' Pond
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2018, 11:29:07 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Forgot to mention, I also added a dozen 'largish' Amano's towards the end of last week. I have seen them wandering over the pebbles and on the java moss.
I was considering getting a couple of hillstream loaches once a biofilm/algae has established itself on the pebbles.
There is plenty of flow and the temperature is fine for them. I haven't kept them before so it would be something new for me. Any thoughts on this idea ?

Offline TopCookie

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka: Pierre
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2018, 11:36:02 PM »
Lovely little fish for sure...  I can't really advise on them myself, as I know virtually nothing about them, but can completely understand wanting them...  Hope they are suitable, coz they're great l'il fish...   :D

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2018, 07:17:12 AM »
Temperature should be fine as you say. Re flow, hillstreams are adapted to take a lot of linear flow - the sort of flow in a river that we would struggle to stand up in. People often set up river manifolds for them.  That said they dont 'need' this type of flow it's just what is found in their natural environment.

I would suggest if you get a few you might need to consider supplementing the amount of food available to them with something like repashy soilent green or algae wafers unless you are getting quite a significant amount of algae growth? 

They are lovely fish for sure. I would love to have a river tank to keep them in. @Littlefish have you kept hillstreams?

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • aka Donna
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2018, 09:51:23 AM »
@Matt  yes, I've got a group of sewellia lineolata in my river tank.

@daveyng there are a few types available, which were you considering getting? They do like a lot of flow, and need high levels of oxygen in the water. They may also appreciate some larger rocks among your pebbles.
My gang enjoy algae & biofilm, but are also happy with the Repashy food, algae wafers, cucumber, etc.

Offline daveyng

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2018, 11:31:59 AM »
I did see the Sewellia Lineolata on sale at my LFS. They look quite striking so I would probably go for them. I have Algae wafers and sinking wafers which I use for the Shrimp and Catfish in my tank. I have Been putting a couple of sinking wafers in the pond for the Amanos. They love them.
How many Sewellia would you suggest ?. I would probably go for 2-3.
The flow in the pond is not really linear but it is quite turbulent around the return from the filter. The Shiners tend to shoal in this area, swimming against the current. I also have the option of directing the flow to a ‘pump’ water feature, which I will start using when it gets a bit warmer. This will assist in keeping the oxygen levels up. I would imagine that I’m circulating something approaching 3000 lph counting losses.
One thing I have noticed with the fish in this environment is their behaviour. They seem to be more aware of their surroundings and they all tend to stay together as a group (regardless of species). They only venture up to the surface when they know it’s feeding time.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2018, 01:08:10 PM »
They are lovely looking fish.  :)
They are wild caught and quite sensitive, so make sure that they are feeding at your lfs prior to purchase.
Although linear water flow is ideal, it is not absolutely essential. Cool water and high oxygen levels are essential. You may want to look at how you are going to keep the pond cool during the summer, and how you are going to deal with surface evaporation (may need a solid lid, and top up losses with RO).
I have a group of 9 in my river tank, and they seem fine together. I got quite a few because SF says they are found in large groups in the wild http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/sewellia-lineolata/
Although they are said to be relatively aggressive, my gang seem ok as long as each one has a large rock to themselves. They mix well at food time, and mix well with my other fish. When I first got them two of the males had a battle for the best rock, but that was short lived with no harm done (and fascinating to watch).
As for the behaviour of your fish, things might change slightly as your plants grow. However, the rainbow shiners in my river tank are usually low to mid-water, rather than near the top, which seems to be the same as what you are seeing.

Offline daveyng

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2018, 11:57:15 AM »
I have taken to shading the pond over the last three days for a few hours during the peak sunlight period. Temperature currently is around 21C. I had a problem with rising pH during these periods. This seems to have alleviated that problem as well as curbing the temperature rise. I’m using a sheet of  “silvered”  insulation (bit like bubble wrap) which also reflects heat over the area that catches the Sun. There is also an insulated hard plastic cover over the entire pond. I am thinking about using a “bank” of fans which I can put in the space between the hard cover and the water surface. I’m hoping the evaporative effect will cool the water. I use a small one on my aquarium and it seems to work.

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2018, 01:16:11 PM »
... I use a small one on my aquarium and it seems to work.

Wouldn't mind seeing a pic of that Dave...  Looks like we're in for a hot summer and cooling the tank is likely to be a challenge...

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2018, 03:51:16 PM »
I have used fans previously to cool my axolotl tank, https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tropical-Freshwater-Aquarium-Cooling-FS-604/dp/B00DGR5RQ6  and I found that it worked well if you only need to drop the temperature slightly, perhaps a degree or two. Combined with shade, and regular water changes this may be enough in all but the warmest of summers.
I've also floated ice packs in the tank to help.
Eventually I purchased a chiller, which was quite expensive.

Offline daveyng

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2018, 05:05:43 PM »
@TopCookie there’s a pic of the fan under the topic ‘New Lighting AI Hydra 26 HD’ you can see it behind the lighting unit. It’s fairly small but it works for me.

Offline daveyng

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2018, 05:36:56 PM »
I’m considering buying an in-line fan for hydroponics use. They are high output and I could probably work out a way of putting a hose above the surface of the pond to blow air over the surface. I can mount the fan in a waterproof enclosure.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2018, 08:23:57 AM »
That sounds interesting. Let me know how that goes as I may need something for my river tank that is cheaper than a chiller. Obviously as my tank is indoors things are a lot easier for me, so I'm going with fans & water changes at the moment.  :)

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2018, 10:31:43 AM »
That looks alright Dave...  :)   Definitely the sort of thing I'd consider...  I have seen some purpose built fans on one of the websites, geared up for tank cooling, but for much smaller tanks though... 

I like the look of those in Donna's link too...  :) 

Not too bad, temperature wise, at the moment, but obviously things are gonna be warming up from now...

Offline daveyng

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2018, 10:55:31 AM »
Latest Readings from the Seneye in the Pond (attached). You can see the temperature is creeping up. The pH had been fluctuating a bit but I managed to curb that by covering the Pond with a sheet of the mirrored insulation during the peak sunlight hours (13:00 - 17:00). Today its gone up because I ran the water feature. Probably drove the O2 level up.
There are also a few more pics of the setup (bit Heath Robinson) but it works. There are 2 showing the cover. I place a couple of rocks on it to stop it blowing away !!. There is another of the filter with the insulation wrapped around it and 1 of the working water pump feature.
I am going to construct a rustic looking box to cover the filter although its tucked away and not really noticeable. I will also do something more permanent for the cover.

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2018, 12:36:46 PM »
I have used fans previously to cool my axolotl tank, https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tropical-Freshwater-Aquarium-Cooling-FS-604/dp/B00DGR5RQ6  and I found that it worked well if you only need to drop the temperature slightly, perhaps a degree or two. Combined with shade, and regular water changes this may be enough in all but the warmest of summers.
I've also floated ice packs in the tank to help.
Eventually I purchased a chiller, which was quite expensive.

Sorry about being off topic here for a mo Dave... 

The Amazon fans there, looking at the feedback, one person had a simple but brilliant idea: 

3 of the fans stopped working after approximately 6 weeks cheap rubbish You better off putting a household fan in front of the tank works much better"

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2018, 12:37:38 PM »
Back on topic now:  love that vintage water pump set up - that looks fantastic...!!!   :D

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2018, 12:53:10 PM »
Great set up.  :)
Glad to hear that your insulation is helping to keep the pond cool.

Offline daveyng

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2018, 03:08:59 PM »
I did consider the standard "PC" fans in a case, which I have on top of my tank (see pic). However, I think the Hydroponic / Bathroom inline one would be ideal, there much more powerful. I could simply cut a hole in the cover attach a 100mm hose to it via a standard fitting and then attach this to the fan.

Offline daveyng

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2018, 11:07:58 PM »
Update on the Golden Barbs. They have settled in nicely and are now swimming around with the Shiners and the WCMM. I assumed they’d pretty much keep to themselves but this isn’t the case. They are there with the rest of them at feeding time.
I also now have 4 Hillstream loaches. I didn’t get the Sewellia’s in the end. There was, however, a mixture of Gastromyzon Loaches under the general moniker of Hillstream Loaches. I noticed one of them has blue veined fins and looked quite attractive. There is plenty of algae on the pond liner for them, and the pebbles are starting to go green in places.
I have had them a few days and can see them occasionally attached to pebbles on the bottom.
Shrimp are also doing well, they are practically full size now and I can see them on the Java Moss and wandering over the pebbles.
I’ll see if I can take some pictures using the waterproof camera I used for the Video.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2018, 08:27:42 AM »
Great to hear that all your fish have settled in and are doing well.  8)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Setting up a 'Temperate' Pond"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
7 Replies
Last post October 18, 2014, 04:57:28 PM
by Cheryl
8 Replies
Last post November 26, 2014, 07:10:03 AM
by Richard W
5 Replies
Last post May 06, 2015, 07:32:26 PM
by Richard W
13 Replies
Last post February 23, 2016, 12:18:41 PM
by Fiona
7 Replies
Last post May 08, 2016, 08:58:35 PM
by Littlefish
13 Replies
Last post July 21, 2017, 12:45:51 PM
by kdt1
Matt's pond

Started by Matt « 1 2 3 » Gallery Showcase

40 Replies
Last post July 19, 2023, 12:14:44 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: