Setting Up A River Tank - Littlefish

Author Topic: Setting up a river tank - Littlefish  (Read 29482 times) 156 replies

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka Donna
Re: Setting up a river tank - Littlefish
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2017, 09:15:37 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I have been playing with fish numbers on the community creator here, and on Aqadvisor, to finalise my fish list.
Where the exact fish have not been on the lists I've replaced them with something similar, just to get a rough idea. I'm not planning on filling the tank with water, and the surface will be quite splashy due to strong flow, so I've taken that into account. Obviously the difference in suggested stock levels between the two sites is huge, as also noted this morning by @mizuti
On the CC here I have allowed for 400L water and my external filter. I have not allowed for any extra filtration provided by the river manifold.
Hillstream loach x 15 (to allow for 10 sewellia lineolata, and 5 hong kng plecs)
Bristlenose x 3 (for the bulldog plecs)
Zebra loach x 8 (for the panda garra)
Peacock gobies x 10 (for freshwater/cobalt blue gobies)
Brilliant rasbora x 30 (for shiners)
This gives me a stock level of 64%
Aqadvisor gives me a stock level of 126%

::)  ???  :P

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2017, 09:18:31 AM »
I must admit I don't quite believe the external filter option here is realistic. I have always stuck to oversized internal as a better guide if I have an oversized filter be it internal or external. What would that give you @Littlefish ?

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2017, 09:32:09 AM »
I've just checked the figures and if I use "oversize internal" I'm at 86%, and if I use "internal" I'm at 103%.

In a strange way this reflects more of the Aqadvisor because that said I had plenty of filtration whilst being over stocked, so I guess it's more about footprint of tank & water volume than filtration.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2017, 09:46:51 AM »
That's how stocked I like my tanks to be. It starts to push the "too many fish in a zoo cage" boundary beyond there in my opinion.

Will you have plants in the tank to help prevent nitrate buildup? Otherwise you clearly have more than enough filtration!

Offline Sue

« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2017, 10:09:32 AM »
I'm not too sure about the way the CC allows more fish the better the filtration. On my other forum, the real expert on there says the amount of filtration makes no difference to stocking levels. (This chap writes fish profiles for Seriously Fish and regularly has conversations with Neale Monks, the fish keeping guru, to keep himself up to date) Though I can see that an external effectively increases the volume of the tank and that extra volume allows more fish.
I have always used only internal and external in the CC, I don't used the oversized options.

There are pros and cons for both putting all the fish in together and quarantining them separately. Do you intend use meds as a preventative when you get the fish, or only if any fish look sick?

I don't think it really matters if you use the same meds as the shop. The important thing is not mixing meds in the same tank without removing the first one before adding the second. I would go with the eSHa meds, and maybe include a whitespot med as well.
I always write the date I open the bottle either on the label or the box.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2017, 10:47:14 AM »
@Matt I do have plants in the tank, but not enough to make a difference to the nitrate levels because the water flow doesn't really allow for it. Due to my water quality from the tap (hard & with high nitrates), I'll be using a mix on tap & RO to bring both down a bit and bring my tank water more into the range that the fish are comfortable with. I'll be doing this when I do the big water change before getting the fish, and from then on.

@Sue with an external filter in the CC I have a stock level of 64%. To be honest, with an external filter & river manifold, I'm comfortable with the filtration. The tank is a fair size and is quite open, with lots of sand & rocks for the bottom dwellers, and lots of wood & branches towards the back for fishy hidey holes and to get out of the high flow for a rest if necessary. The river manifold covers the front 3/4 of the tank, so the back part has extra air stones to maintain circulation around the wood at a more sedate pace.

Originally I was going to quarantine fish from different shops in different tanks, but the suggestion from @marquismirage for putting them all in one tank and treating them all at the same time with preventative medication interested me, as it would mean not having to have 4 quarantine tanks running at the same time. I've not bought fish from different shops without separate quarantine before, but it would be great to have them all in the same tank. I've still got quarantine tanks available if anything needs to be removed for stronger or more targeted treatments.

I already have the eSHa 2000, but will get some more, along with the exit, gdex, and ndx to cover the range.
The other meds I had in the cupboard were ones I'd bought from stores before I read about the eSHa products here, so they are no longer needed. I will make the effort to write on the bottles/boxes from now on though.

Is there any particular order you'd suggest using the treatments in? I have plenty of carbon, etc. in the cupboard to help remove meds after treatment & before water change, prior to using another one.

I can't believe how excited I am about this river tank.
Thanks all for the help so far. Please keep posting advice as I'm finding this all really useful.

Offline Sue

« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2017, 11:30:51 AM »
As a preventative I would use eSHa 2000 as that seems effective against most diseases.

In 20 years of fishkeeping, I've had whitespot several times, finrot a few times (mainly bettas as their tails are so easily damaged) and camallanus worm once. I've had some fish die of dropsy, underlying disease not known, and other fish die of unknown causes.

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2017, 08:27:21 PM »
eSha 2000 is my go to general cure too and can be used with EXIT (mainly for white spot) and gdex (for internal worms) at the same time.

There is an upper limit to how much bacteria any given tank can support.  This is based on the ammonia that the tank receives as we all know already.  The thing about filters and the beneficial bacteria is that the bacteria will grow on any given surface in the tank too. So the filter isn't the only place where bacteria resides.  As a result an overly large filter will only grow a percentage of the overall bacteria to support the aquarium.  Anything extra isn't used except to gather poop in one place (which isn't a bad thing).  You'll run out of swim space for the fishies before you run out of bacteria.

Water changes are far more important than the filtration to keep the water quality good.  The more fishies you have in there the more water volume you need to change to keep things good.  On my big tank I do around 25 l (approx. 6-7%) change per day as it's much easier than doing a 25% in one day and it's probably more than the tank needs.  ThinkFish puts my stocking level at 28% with 17 Silver Tipped Tetras, 17 Super Blue Emperor Tetras, 18 Greenfire Bloodfin Tetras, 5 Apistogramma sp. Tefe, and 2 L397's.  Still I think it looks right as there's enough space for each fish to swim without bumping into other fish constantly.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2017, 08:50:16 PM »
I'm confident that I have more than enough filtration, as I bought bigger than necessary to make sure I got enough turn over to create strong water flow. The sponge filters on the manifold are just to stop stuff getting into that pump, but I'm sure it will also make a nice home for the bacteria.
If only I had a tank big enough for all of the fish that I wanted.  ::)  Actually, I don't think I'll ever have tanks big enough for all the fish I want.  ;D

I've ordered the eSHa meds to arrive in plenty of time for the fish, which I aim to collect in 2-3 weeks.

;D

Offline Sue

« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2017, 09:05:30 PM »
eSha 2000 is my go to general cure too and can be used with EXIT (mainly for white spot) and gdex (for internal worms) at the same time.

eSHa gdex (active ingredient praziquantel) is for internal cestode tapeworms (and skin and gill flukes), eSHa-ndx (active ingredient levamisole) is for intestinal nematode worms.
If I remember my zoology, cestodes are flat worms and nematodes are round worms, so presumably they need different things to kill them.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2017, 10:28:58 AM »
I've got everything on order, with the exception of the ndx, which was not available on Amazon. I'll try to track it down on other sites just so I have a fully stocked cupboard.

Offline Sue

« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2017, 04:00:30 PM »
It's on Ebay if you have an account there.....

Do any local shops stock it? My go-to shop does; the owner told me they were getting it in after I mentioned battling camallanus worms and when it arrived he phoned me to tell me the active ingredient so I knew for future reference.

When you do track some down, could you look at the info sheet and see if it does actually say on there what's in it because eSHa's website doesn't say  :-\

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2017, 06:27:11 PM »
It's on Ebay if you have an account there.....

Do any local shops stock it? My go-to shop does; the owner told me they were getting it in after I mentioned battling camallanus worms and when it arrived he phoned me to tell me the active ingredient so I knew for future reference.

When you do track some down, could you look at the info sheet and see if it does actually say on there what's in it because eSHa's website doesn't say  :-\

I've had a little google, and a post on another fish forum has popped up in which someone has posted that the ingredients are:
eSHa-ndx - levamisole
Sera Nematol - emamectin
Kusuri Wormer Plus - flubendazole

Hopefully Littlefish will be able to verify if that's correct when she tracks it down. :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2017, 06:50:44 PM »
Hmmm, did the poster on the other forum have an avatar that looks suspiciously like mine?

The chap at the fish shop looked at the leaflet and phoned me to say that ndx contains levamisole, but I haven't actually seen the leaflet I just have his word for it.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2017, 07:48:05 PM »
I've ordered the ndx from ebay, so it should be here later this week.  :)

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2017, 08:03:52 PM »
Hmmm, did the poster on the other forum have an avatar that looks suspiciously like mine
Hahaha - so they do!  Now that you mention it, and I've re-read the content, it does sound/read like a post of yours.  ;D

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2017, 08:16:45 AM »
All meds have arrived so I am now fully stocked on that front.
Also have a snail trap in the tank, which seems to be working well.
All fish from branches of MA are reserved, so now I just need to decide on my mid-water swimmers, and contact Kesgrave Tropicals to order the rest of the fish I want & arrange a collection date.
 :fishy1:

Offline Sue

« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2017, 12:29:35 PM »
Does the med include eSHa-ndx? If it does, could you look at the leaflet and see if it gives the active ingredient. The chap at Aquatic Finatic told me it was levamisole, but I haven't actually seen it with my own eyes  :)

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2017, 01:40:20 PM »
@Sue thanks for reminding me. Yes I do have the ndx and will check the leaflet and report back this evening.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2017, 05:21:24 PM »
The eSHa-ndx contains levamisole hydrochloride, and methylis parahydroxybenzoas.
You are correct in saying that it treats roundworms, as opposed to the gdex, which is flatworms.
If you want any more information just let me know.  :)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Setting up a river tank - Littlefish"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
13 Replies
Last post September 18, 2013, 04:27:21 PM
by engineer_tom
21 Replies
Last post August 28, 2016, 10:50:43 AM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post August 31, 2016, 08:25:00 AM
by Littlefish
14 Replies
Last post November 20, 2016, 08:51:54 PM
by Littlefish
37 Replies
Last post January 05, 2017, 08:01:05 AM
by fcmf
19 Replies
Last post March 05, 2017, 12:53:17 PM
by Littlefish
15 Replies
Last post April 28, 2018, 07:46:16 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: