Setting Up A River Tank - Littlefish

Author Topic: Setting up a river tank - Littlefish  (Read 29705 times) 156 replies

Offline TrenchyLs

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Re: Setting up a river tank - Littlefish
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2017, 12:25:57 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
That's looking really good.

I'm assuming the nothing exploded when you tested it out!

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka Donna
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2017, 02:24:40 PM »
I have tested the manifold and nothing exploded, which was a relief.  :)
The Paleoplushie ottos have been on the outside of that tank for a while, but I may find somewhere else for them when I get some real fish in that tank.
I have some rocks precariously balanced on top of the largest pieces of wood because they are taking so long to sink properly. Those rocks will go into the algae tank on the windowsill when they are available.
Still struggling to narrow down the list of fish.  ;D

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2017, 03:22:39 PM »
Wow!  That's a nice looking river system.  Very impressive.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2017, 09:43:23 PM »
Thanks everyone.

@SinghRathorTari the background is just a stick on one I got from Amazon. It was quite reasonably priced and comes in various lengths, so most of my tanks are done out with it.

Originally I had 3 of the Paleoplushie otos, but one has been rehomed at the Coton branch of MA after a friend went to work there.
My remaining 2 had a brief holiday at Steve's place when Nathan Hill visited to take pictures of his tanks.
http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/news/fishkeeping-news/articles/2017/6/7/video-steven-bakers-amazing-wall-of-life-aquarium
The otos returned with a much dimmer view of my tanks, which is fair enough, as Steve's tanks are awesome.

I'm still cycling the river tank, trying to grow algae on rocks, and trying to narrow down my list of fish.  ;D

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2017, 09:53:46 PM »
I'm still cycling the river tank, trying to grow algae on rocks, and trying to narrow down my list of fish.  ;D
What fish are on the potential list?

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2017, 11:49:08 AM »
Sewellia lineolata is definite, as it is the whole reason for setting up a river tank.
As for tank mates:-
Shiners
Panda garra
giant danios
pearl danio
bulldog plec
gobies/stiphodons
Florida flagfish

There are a few others, but my main problem is that not all fish on the list will work together.
I guess I could set up another tank...........  ;D

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2017, 10:08:09 PM »
Not another tank.... don't do it!!!  :vcross:

My vote would be for gobies.  These are high on my list for my bigger tank when that eventually happens!

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2017, 10:31:04 PM »
Technically I still have an empty tank in the spare room.  ;D

So far my fish lists depend on where I shop. Ideally I'd like to get all the fish from the same shop.

So, from Kesgrave Tropicals I could get the following:
Sewellia lineolata
Butterfly hong kong plec (another hillstream loach, but darker)
Orange banded hillsteam catfish (Akysis vespa)
Panda garra
Rainbow shiner
Barcheek goby
white cheek goby

From my local MA I can get
Sewellia lineolata
Butterfly hong kong plec (another hillstream loach, but darker)
Panda garra
Red shiner
Cobalt blue goby
White cheek goby
Hikari danio
Giraffe danio

Whichever shop I go to I won't be able to get all the fish on the list because the tank will be too crowded, but at least they can both supply the hillstream loaches I want.
I've told MA I'll get the fish from them if they can get the fish and price match Kesgrave.
I'm just keeping the river tank ticking over, establishing the plants & growing algae on the rocks, until I know what fish I'm getting from where. It's very exciting. ;D

Offline SinghRathorTari

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Contributor
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2017, 04:15:46 PM »
We'll that background had me convinced!

Was just looking at the Steve Baker link; and I would call that a planted tank on another level.

My vote would go to the Bulldog Pleco, if you can get them.  I have seen them at one of my LFS' and they look quite stand out when compared to the other Plecos.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2017, 05:32:04 PM »
My local MA has a batch of bulldog plecs in at the moment. They may not be the most attractive fish in the world, but I do have a soft spot of weird looking fish, and those are adorably goofy. I was just slightly concerned that they might be a bit big compared to some of the other fish in the tank. If I get then then I think I can rule out the akysis vespa, which are quite small.
There are a lot of bottom dweller on both lists, but it is a river tank, so I guess that's only to be expected. I was thinking perhaps just a big group of shiners for mid-water. Or a mix of shiners and one type of danio.
I always struggle to narrow down fish lists.

Steve's Borneo tank is spectacular. They are featuring his other tanks in PFK next month.

Offline TrenchyLs

• Fishy Member
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2017, 07:30:31 PM »
Have you considered Denison's Barbs?

They are peaceful (but active), seem happy with a wide range of water pH/hardness and are ideal for a river tank.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2017, 09:41:53 PM »

Good suggestion - personally, I love those fish. Be careful what you suggest to Littlefish, though - she might decide that she quite likes the idea of them too, and, at the rate things are going, she'll have to start putting tanks in the garden and down the street or else move into a castle to house them all.  ;)

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2017, 10:06:04 PM »

Good suggestion - personally, I love those fish. Be careful what you suggest to Littlefish, though - she might decide that she quite likes the idea of them too, and, at the rate things are going, she'll have to start putting tanks in the garden and down the street or else move into a castle to house them all.  ;)

@fcmf you know me too well.  ;D
They are great fish and ideal for the tank.
I'm still struggling to narrow down my list of fish.  :-[

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2017, 04:24:02 PM »
Holy Pants, Batman!
Have you seen the price of Denison's barbs!?!
 :yikes:

Offline TrenchyLs

• Fishy Member
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2017, 07:50:41 PM »
Oh yeah.

That might be a problem!!

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2017, 08:43:04 PM »
They are lovely fish, although a tad pricey, and not easy to get hold of. The ones I found were at a store that delivered, but were only a 2 hour drive away, which I thought would be safer. Then I realised how much I'd be paying for a larger number to fill the mid-water region, and had to think again.  :o

So far the list is as follows:
Sewellia lineolata x 10
Hong kong plec x 5
Bulldog plec x 2
Panda garra - currently have the 5 re-homed ones in the quarantine tank, but may consider more
I would like some stiphodon/gobies as well
Rainbow shiners - possibly around 30 if I go for one species of mid-water fish, or 15-20 if I go for some larger danios as well.

Any comments and/or suggestions?

I can't get all the fish from one supplier, so would probably get the hong kong plecs and bulldog plecs from MA.
Kesgrave Tropicals have all the others and is only around a one hour drive each way.

Any suggestions on the order in which I buy/introduce the fish? A lot of them like algae, so I have 2 tanks of rocks on the windowsill growing algae. As soon as the rocks go in the river tanks I'll restock the windowsill tanks to keep up supply. The river tank itself is cycled, and I'm keeping it ticking over until I decide what to do. It's having long periods of bright light to encourage the plants & algae. I'm planning on starting to get the fish towards the end of the month. Should I get all the fish from Kesgrave in the main tank, and have the MA stock in quarantine tanks for a month or so? Should I introduce perhaps the mid-water fish first? If I get all the shiners from Kesgrave, can I add all the Kesgrave fish at the same time? While the MA fish are in quarantine?
Help! I'm getting myself into a bit of a tizzy. This will be the largest number of fish added to one tank that I have dealt with, and after waiting for so long to do a river tank I'd be furious with myself if I get something wrong.  :vcross:

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2017, 01:03:11 PM »
I went shopping this morning, and although I have spent some money I have come home empty-handed.
I visited the 2 local MA's to reserve some fish for the river tank.
Luckily the store at Coton had an empty tank, so I temporarily have my own tank at the store, where I have some hong kong plecs, bull dog plecs, and panda garras reserved for collection in a couple of weeks.
I'm going to contact Kesgrave Tropicals to order some sewellia lineolata, rainbow shiners, and gobies for collection in a couple of weeks.
The plan is to use the main tank for the fish from Kesgrave, and set up some quarantine tanks for the fish from MA. Unfortunately this means that I won't have all the fish in the river tank until early September, and I'll have to set up mini river tanks for quarantine, but I've bought some additional internal filters & I already have some air pumps, etc. to get decent flow & high oxygenation in the quarantine tanks, so I think that will help.
Fingers crossed.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2017, 01:11:31 PM »
How very exciting - it's all starting to take more shape now and become more "real".  :cheers:

Keep us posted on the developments.  :fishy1:

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2017, 10:13:41 PM »
Any comments and/or suggestions?

Breath deeply and relax.  :)

"Rainbow shiners - possibly around 30 if I go for one species of mid-water fish, or 15-20 if I go for some larger danios as well."
Maybe hold off until some other shiners (like the red shiners) become available?  They are so seldom seen in home aquariums that it'll be something to talk about.  Although your current selection of fish and amphibians has plenty there!

"Any suggestions on the order in which I buy/introduce the fish?"
Generally it should go from top to bottom.  Lack of dither fish means bottom fish hide more as an absence of higher fish equates in the fish mind to predators having got them.  Though you don't appear to have anything clashing territorially so introducing all fish at the same time wouldn't be an issue.

"Should I get all the fish from Kesgrave in the main tank, and have the MA stock in quarantine tanks for a month or so?"
The first batch of forktails I had when I lost over 60% were mail order from Kesgrave.  I would be tempted to, and mainly did on my Amazon tank, put them all in the main tank and treat them all at the same time with a general cure and dewormer.  Both MA and Kesgrave at the same time.  So in effect the main tank for the first month is a quarantine tank under treatment.  The only fish I did separate were the L397's as they are more sensitive.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2017, 07:42:52 AM »
It's all too exciting for me to relax.  ;D

Would you believe that the MA in Coton has red shiners....and one of the independent LFS I get my live food from has blue ones (but have said there is only 1 female), so I guess I could go for a mix. Perhaps I'll have a look at the stock levels again and look at the numbers of mid-water fish.

I was planning to drive to Kesgrave to collect the fish as I figure a 2-3 hour round trip would be less stressful for the fish (and me) than overnight delivery. I've got some large polystyrene boxes from work, which can be restrained using the seat belts, so I'm hoping to give the fish a relatively low-stress journey.

Introducing the fish at the same time would be great, if I could do it. Not only would it mean that the tank would be complete sooner than expected, but it would also mean that I wouldn't have to have numerous quarantine tanks on the go either.

I've just been to check what medications I have, and am going to throw most of them away as I can't remember if they have been opened within the last 12 months, so now I just have the esha 2000 left. Time to hit the internet and order some more. Would it be better to order the esha 2000 and ndx products, which looks like they would cover most things? Or go with the medications that the fish would be on at the stores? I think the MA use mainly Interpet products in store, but can check products used & schedule of medication, and I could phone Kesgrave to see what they use.

I also think that one of the things I'll do is pop a couple of snail traps into the tank for a couple of weeks. I've got some snails in there that have probably come off the plants, and was going to leave them, but don't want snails dying from fish medication and messing up the water quality at such a critical time.

Thanks for the help, and further comments, advice, etc. are always welcome.  ;D

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Setting up a river tank - Littlefish"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
13 Replies
Last post September 18, 2013, 04:27:21 PM
by engineer_tom
21 Replies
Last post August 28, 2016, 10:50:43 AM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post August 31, 2016, 08:25:00 AM
by Littlefish
14 Replies
Last post November 20, 2016, 08:51:54 PM
by Littlefish
37 Replies
Last post January 05, 2017, 08:01:05 AM
by fcmf
19 Replies
Last post March 05, 2017, 12:53:17 PM
by Littlefish
15 Replies
Last post April 28, 2018, 07:46:16 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: