Setting Up A River Tank - Littlefish

Author Topic: Setting up a river tank - Littlefish  (Read 29498 times) 156 replies

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka Donna
Re: Setting up a river tank - Littlefish
« Reply #140 on: January 11, 2018, 08:02:23 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Long time no update here, so I thought I'd let you know what is happening at the moment.
All the fish in the temporary tank are doing well, are settled, and feeding well.
Over the past couple of days I've removed the rest of the sand from the main tank, and removed the river manifold. The manifold was hurled into the back garden in disgust, and the removal of the associated tubing & pump nearly made me sick. I've cleaned the tubing, and pump. It was all quite grim, and I found a dead assassin snail in the pump  :sick:
Although I had filter sponge on the intake, somehow the snail had got in, and probably explains the smell when I took everything apart. I don't know if this would have had any impact on the river tank disaster last year.
@Andy The Minion has been kind enough to provide some diagrams of a different set up for the pump/manifold, and now that the tank is empty I'm going to spend some time trying a simplified set up, based on a combination of the information AtM provided, and some ideas on how I can have it set up so I can remove the pump hoses/intake/etc. for cleaning on a regular basis. This means I won't be rebuilding the manifold I previously had, which sat under the sand, but it may take me a while to work out exactly what I can do. The ideas are floating around in my head, I just need to have a few practice sessions in the tank while it's empty. I plan to use the pump to create flow near the bottom of the tank, then 2 external filters for the middle and surface flow.
In the past few months I've been purchasing more of the yangste rock from Aquarium gardens. I saw it while the main tank was still set up, bought a couple of pieces and put them in. Unfortunately this made the other stones I had look quite dull and unnatural, so as part of my always steep learning curve I'm using the disaster last year as an opportunity to try to make the river tank better.
Without a manifold under the substrate I should also be able to get away with a lower level of sand, which should help to avoid any build up of anaerobic bacteria, which always concerned me.
I still have the bucephalandra attached to wood, and I'll probably just use root tabs of the echinodorus martii major when that goes back in.
Time for a glass of wine while I contemplate the pump/simplified manifold set up.  :)

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #141 on: January 21, 2018, 09:22:20 PM »
The reworking of the river tank has started.
The tank is empty & clean (the house has stopped smelling of white vinegar & lemon juice).
I got some pipe from MA, who kindly sold me some off cuts from their new coral display tank for a very reasonable price. The pipe is a larger diameter than the pipe used for the previous under-sand manifold, and the pipe is grey (rather than white) which should be less obvious.
I've picked up some connectors at another LFS today, and got some hose clamps online (I was always worried about the loaches & plecs cutting themselves on the standard metal clamps).
This river manifold is going to be above the substrate, much simpler than the previous one, but still have the pump in the cabinet rather than in the tank.
I need to get hold of some end caps for the pieces of pipe I cut this evening, as they are going to be the in and out flow (with the addition of some drilled holes). I've already checked the multiple LFS, and no joy, so it looks as if I'll have to take a drive to one slightly further afield - what a massive shame having to take a trip to another shop  ;)

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #142 on: January 21, 2018, 10:17:24 PM »
It sounds like quite a project! I'm sure it will be super rewarding once you have it all up and running  :))

I'm trying to rack my brains for what could be used instead of an end cap... though the best I've come up with so far is to look through plumbing supplies shops or catalogues.

Keep those photos coming!!

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #143 on: February 09, 2018, 03:38:53 PM »
A quick update on this.
I've been very busy with this tank over the past few weeks.
One of my happiest moments was finding the most awesome things that I could use as end caps for the pipes being used for intake and outflow. They were inspection caps that I found in the plumbing section of B&Q (other DIY stores are available), and they have screw caps! Imagine my joy when I realised that I could unscrew the ends of the pipes to clean the whole thing thoroughly  ;D The pipes have suckers to attach them to the ends of the tanks, so everything can be taken out to be cleaned easily, and the screw caps were perfect.
It's taken me a long time to get things sorted, including leaks.  :-[
The sand substrate is in the tank, and this week I filled the tank with water to check the manifold, and so I could dump the hardscaping into the tank to make some more space in the other tank I've been using to soak wood.
I am currently sitting down, chuckling to myself, realising that I'm a complete muppet that shouldn't be allowed to have tank/pumps/anything really.
One large piece of wood that I had in the previous version of this tank is taking a while to sink, so is weighed down by some of the new stone I bought. I turned the pump on to check the flow of the manifold before I have a think about draining the tank to work on the hardscaping. The wood/rock was partially in the way of the outflow, which caused the high flow rate to blow all the other pieces of wood along the tank, disturb the substrate, and cover everything in sand.  :-[   :rotfl:
Sheesh, will I ever learn.  ::)

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #144 on: March 20, 2018, 07:54:47 PM »
It was a big day in the Littlefish household today - after several weeks rearranging decor, the fish have finally been transferred back to their main tank.
It took approximately 4 hours, and I was way more stressed than the fish, who all seem to have settled very quickly into their re-worked set up.
It will take a couple of months for the echnidorus martii major to grow in, so I've thrown some elodea into the tank for cover, and I may put some more bucephalandra in.
I still have a batch of rainbow shiners in a quarantine tank, as I only picked them up from Kesgrave Tropicals a few weeks ago, but they are doing well and should be ready to go into the main tank towards the end of the week.
Hopefully I should be able to post some pics tomorrow.  :)

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #145 on: March 20, 2018, 08:12:31 PM »
Oooh - thanks for the update. This sounds great and glad that the fish are now back (and, even better, quickly settled) in their main tank.  Glad also that the rainbow shiners are doing well. :fishy1:

Looking forward to seeing the pics tomorrow / later in the week.  ;D

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #146 on: March 21, 2018, 12:41:37 PM »
When I set up the river tank for the first time last year I got a shoal of rainbow shiners, which I was happy with. At the time I described them as being like rather snazzy black neon tetras, as they were basically silver with a darker line, but showed lovely, shimmering colours when they moved and caught the light, which was very difficult to capture a picture of.
Well, I was wrong about them. After the disaster with the tank last year, the remaining shiners have matured to show the most amazing colours. They are still very active swimmers, hence the very blurred pictured attached, which I managed to get after moving them yesterday. As you can (kind of) see, they have turned into what can only be described as disco fish.
The new batch that I collected a couple of weeks ago, which are still in the quarantine tank, still look like black neons, so I'm expecting them to mature into technicoloured disco fish later this year.   :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #147 on: March 21, 2018, 06:54:41 PM »
Wow, they are gorgeous now  :)

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #148 on: March 21, 2018, 10:43:34 PM »

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #149 on: April 06, 2018, 08:02:59 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
I have just moved the 14 juvenile rainbow shiners from the quarantine tank to the main river tank. Although they are still quite small they seem to be fine and are shoaling with the mature shiners.
Tomorrow I hope to collect the annieae gobies from the LFS, to increase the numbers of those fish as well.  :)

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #150 on: April 06, 2018, 08:36:06 PM »
Pleased to read that the juveniles are shoaling with their elders.

Hope all goes well tomorrow with your new goby additions.

:fishy1:

Offline TopCookie

• aka: Pierre
« Reply #151 on: April 06, 2018, 11:37:46 PM »
Can't wait to see more pics Donna...  :)

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #152 on: April 08, 2018, 09:04:52 PM »
Hope all has gone well @Littlefish ?

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #153 on: April 08, 2018, 10:33:12 PM »
So far so good. All fish in the main tank seem to be doing well, and have completely decimated their Repashy coated log for dinner.
I just need to attach some more lights to the hood before I can put it on the tank.
I also collected 5 annieae gobies and 7 blue neon gobies from the local MA yesterday, so they are currently in quarantine, but have had a bash at a slice of cucumber and an algae wafer today.  :)

Offline TopCookie

• aka: Pierre
« Reply #154 on: April 08, 2018, 10:38:33 PM »
The little Gobies are such lovely fish...    :)

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #155 on: April 09, 2018, 04:23:05 AM »
The little Gobies are such lovely fish...    :)

Can't agree more... I am always surprised with how active and boisterous they can be though... anyone else think this?

Really happy everyone seems to be settling in well to their new tank... and can't wait for the photos you will of course be posting Littlefish  :isay:

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #156 on: April 09, 2018, 07:24:38 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
I promise that I will be posting pics as soon as I get all the lights & hood sorted. Apologies for the delay, putting the hood onto the tank is a 2 person job.  :-[

As for the gobies, I agree with everything said, and am also amazed that the annieae gobies, which are the smallest fish in the tank, are so forward. They have a lot of personality for their size, and I'm looking forward to the rest of them completing their quarantine period and getting them into the main tank with the others.  :)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Setting up a river tank - Littlefish"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
13 Replies
Last post September 18, 2013, 04:27:21 PM
by engineer_tom
21 Replies
Last post August 28, 2016, 10:50:43 AM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post August 31, 2016, 08:25:00 AM
by Littlefish
14 Replies
Last post November 20, 2016, 08:51:54 PM
by Littlefish
37 Replies
Last post January 05, 2017, 08:01:05 AM
by fcmf
19 Replies
Last post March 05, 2017, 12:53:17 PM
by Littlefish
15 Replies
Last post April 28, 2018, 07:46:16 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: