PaddyC's Peaceful Community

Author Topic: PaddyC's Peaceful Community  (Read 72800 times) 637 replies

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: PaddyC's 180ltr Community tank - Progress thread
« Reply #620 on: July 18, 2016, 02:02:07 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Wonderful! How did the lone glowlight react when he saw more of his own kind? Did he seem excited? Did he go immediately from shoaling with the neons to "heading up" a shoal of his own or was there not really much of a reaction?

There was a wee bit of inquisitiveness from the lone GL but there hasn't been any separation of shoals. All of the tetras shoal together. The new GL's seem far less timid and are often spotted in the upper part of the tank.

Regarding the Cardinals, I occasionally spot them grouping as a threesome, almost separate from the neons. When I was discussing them with my LFS when I was buying them she remarked that she preferred the "fullness" of colour you get with Cardinals and they were in her opinion better looking than neons... At the time I disagreed but now I see what she was on about.

If anyone is considering Neons v Cardinals, I would actually have to admit I have switched to the Cardinals side  :-[

Not that I don't love my NINETEEN neons, which of course I do. Wouldn't be without them  :) :) :)

Offline Cora

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Re: PaddyC's Peaceful Community
« Reply #621 on: July 18, 2016, 03:25:40 PM »
Yes, I also prefer Cardinals over Neons.  :fishy1:  Especially with a blue "night" light - their iridescent strip is even more impressive.

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #622 on: July 18, 2016, 06:32:46 PM »
Making mental notes here, as these are high up the list for future purchases. I'm also rather "taken" with the green neon tetras which my LFS has in stock too - @Sue has experience of them, so I wonder what her views are on green neon tetras .v. cardinals .v. neons?

Offline Sue

« Reply #623 on: July 18, 2016, 07:21:20 PM »
Personally, I prefer them of the three.
Just considering their appearance, they have the least red but the most blue. They are called green neons, but the stripe only looks greeny blue when viewed from a certain angle. If you put them side by side with cardinals in particular the blue does look slightly greenish but on their own it does look blue most of the time.
Green neons are the smallest of the three, they grow maybe a tad over an inch.
Of the three Paracheirodons, green neons need softer water with a lower pH than the other two. Seriously Fish gives the range as pH 3.0 to 6.5 and hardness as 18 - 143 ppm (1 - 8 German deg). FishBase gives pH 5.5 to 6 and hardness up to 4 German deg (71 ppm)
Being small fish they 'get lost' in a big tank if there are only a few of them. A bigger shoal shows them off better, and the blue twinkles in and out as they turn from side on to head on.

I have had them a few times in pH 7.4 and hardness 5 German deg. They did die one by one over the years with a couple lasting over 5 years. Maybe they would have been better in a lower pH  ???

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #624 on: September 01, 2016, 11:45:41 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Yowzers, over 6 weeks since any updates on this... Can't let that happen again...

Some updated pics of my peaceful community  8)

New rock and young Electric Blue Ram front and centre

Snail trap (glass jar)

Oh hello! (it popped into shot when I was snapping the snails  :rotfl: )

Thanks for looking!!

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #625 on: September 01, 2016, 12:20:31 PM »
Your tank is looking good Paddy.  8)
The rams are great and I love the fact that they enjoy the camera and keeps popping into pictures. They really are lovely looking fish.

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #626 on: September 01, 2016, 02:00:30 PM »
Your tank is looking good Paddy.  8)
The rams are great and I love the fact that they enjoy the camera and keeps popping into pictures. They really are lovely looking fish.

Cheers Donna. I've been deliberately spending more time sitting right in front of the tank rather than away over on the couch. It seems to be helping them to trust me.

This evening I'm going to have a browse where I could get a custom measured piece of glass cut so I can install a partition in the 3 foot tank. I'm thinking of doing a 50/50 split into a shrimpery / breeding tank for when the rams hopefully mature and pair up. That's the plan, anyway  8)

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #627 on: September 01, 2016, 06:17:48 PM »
I spend a lot of time sitting in front of the tanks, which makes switching the lights off to go to bed at night quite a drawn out process as I keep getting distracted by the fishy antics.  ;D

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #628 on: September 01, 2016, 06:58:25 PM »
This evening I'm going to have a browse where I could get a custom measured piece of glass cut so I can install a partition in the 3 foot tank. I'm thinking of doing a 50/50 split into a shrimpery / breeding tank for when the rams hopefully mature and pair up. That's the plan, anyway  8)

Loads of places online that do custom acrylic at very good rates Paddy which might be a good alternative...

Offline fcmf

« Reply #629 on: September 01, 2016, 11:06:46 PM »
I've been deliberately spending more time sitting right in front of the tank rather than away over on the couch. It seems to be helping them to trust me.
I wholeheartedly recommend that - it does indeed get them used to your presence, and fiddling with a camera is the next stage which they soon get used to rather than darting to take cover - in fact, they start posing for the camera once they're used to it. Next, you'll find that you can't help but having little conversations with them too. :-[

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #630 on: September 02, 2016, 02:31:32 PM »
Nice pics Paddy, drooling over your rams :) I so love those fish

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #631 on: September 02, 2016, 04:56:59 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Another one for you @Fiona shot on my brand new phone  8)

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #632 on: September 02, 2016, 06:18:52 PM »
Great picture of a beautiful fish.  8)

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #633 on: September 02, 2016, 07:26:47 PM »
Great picture of a beautiful fish.  8)

Aww cheers Donna  ;) x

Offline fcmf

« Reply #634 on: September 13, 2016, 10:32:05 PM »
How are your glowlight tetras doing, @Paddyc? I recall Fiona mentioning hers were quite shy/timid, so was wondering if yours were as active as your other fish? How do they compare .v. your cardinals and neons in terms of how striking they are? [Making mental notes for future reference re stocking as saw some in the LFS at the weekend and thought they might complement my existing fish well in the (hopefully-far-off) future when numbers inevitably deplete.]

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #635 on: September 14, 2016, 01:17:45 PM »
How are your glowlight tetras doing, @Paddyc? I recall Fiona mentioning hers were quite shy/timid, so was wondering if yours were as active as your other fish? How do they compare .v. your cardinals and neons in terms of how striking they are? [Making mental notes for future reference re stocking as saw some in the LFS at the weekend and thought they might complement my existing fish well in the (hopefully-far-off) future when numbers inevitably deplete.]

They're doing great, @fcmf , they've really grown up big! Well, the females have. The males are significantly smaller. They spend loads of time out in the open and generally feed in the middle third of the tank. I can always count them up easily enough so I'm glad i decided to get the 5 to add to the single one. I was almost getting rid of them and I'm so glad i didn't.

Compared to the neons/cardinals they aren't as striking nor do they tend to shoal up much... But don't let this put you off. They do shine against the darker backgrounds... Abbie loves them, they're her second favourite to the plec i think ;)

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #636 on: September 16, 2016, 09:53:56 AM »
How are your glowlight tetras doing, @Paddyc? I recall Fiona mentioning hers were quite shy/timid,

They're doing great, @fcmf  They spend loads of time out in the open and generally feed in the middle third of the tank. 

Mine still sculk around in the bottom left portion of the tank. Just my luck to get moody fish, thankfully the other tetras aren't like that at all!

Offline fcmf

« Reply #637 on: September 17, 2016, 04:21:28 PM »
Interesting and helpful; thanks.  Glad yours are doing well, Paddy.

[Fish do seem to have personality characteristics, so I can quite believe a group of them could become a moody shoal.]

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "PaddyC's Peaceful Community"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post May 07, 2014, 02:36:05 PM
by Puffin
4 Replies
Last post May 12, 2014, 10:46:56 PM
by jesnon
2 Replies
Last post June 12, 2014, 12:28:13 PM
by Fiona
8 Replies
Last post July 19, 2014, 12:38:25 PM
by Rich_D
2 Replies
Last post May 26, 2015, 07:28:02 PM
by Thor God Of Thunder
4 Replies
Last post February 10, 2019, 01:46:28 PM
by water watcher
15 Replies
Last post February 03, 2020, 02:51:24 AM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: