Author Topic: PaddyC's Peaceful Community  (Read 72850 times) 637 replies

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: PaddyC's progress thread. **Tank arriving Wednesday**
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2016, 06:57:21 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Just a couple of things.

You would be better waiting for someone else to talk about the actual planting process. All my plants are the kind the grow attached to decor.

Safe Start - add that at the same time as the first ammonia dose. Assuming it is OK (ie bacteria still alive) the bacteria will need something to feed on.

If it was me I would plant the plants following someone else's advice then wait a few days to a couple of weeks to make sure they are OK. Then get your friend's media, put it in the filter than add the safe start and ammonia.

However, if your friend wants to get rid of his media sooner than that, take it whenever he wants, put it into the filter then start the cycle regardless of how long since you put the plants in. If the plants start to go a bit iffy, remove any dead looking leaves but leave the plant in there. I do know that some plants will lose their leaves after planting but that they grow more. It's just the dead and decaying leaves you want to remove from the tank.

And add the bicarb when you fill the tank. It won't go off while waiting to add the ammonia - it'll only be a few days gap.

Something at the back of my mind says that Safe Start instructions say something about not doing water changes before you add it. Something about the ammonia detoxifying part of a lot of dechlorinators not being good with Safe Start. If that's what it does say, it's OK to add the dechlorinator two or three days before adding the Safe Start as the detoxifying chemicals lose their effect after about 24 hours. (With the exception of Seachem Prime, these detoxifiers don't affect the ammonia readings, so you are OK testing after using these dechlorinators once you have fish and want to check)

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2016, 07:07:03 PM »
Sue, I think I might go further afield tomorrow and get the ammonia I need, as this seems to be key to the entire process and the longer it takes to get some the longer it will be before getting fish. There is a Homebase 12 miles from me, I only hope they have what I need, you said Jeyes Ammonia is suitable I think?

I think my friend wants new media soon, how long will it survive for in my filter without ammonia?

This ammonia availability thing is very annoying!

Offline Sue

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2016, 07:20:56 PM »
It is their own brand of ammonia - which doesn't appear to be on their website  :(

Something else to try if you can't find any and have to get it on-line - and wait for the post.

Start it tonight. Put some declorinated water into a container and either add some fish food or a couple of raw prawns - frozen will do if you have some in the freezer. You might want to put prawns into a mesh bag - or the toe of a pair of tights if you can find someone who wears them  ;D . Decomposing prawns get a bit too messy to remove easily.
The fish food or prawn will start to decompose to make ammonia, and the water in the container will get you started and feed the Safe Start until you get hold of some ammonia. Test this water so you know when the food/prawn is starting to break down. Once you have the ammonia, check what the reading is in the tank from adding the ammonia water then you'll know how much ammonia to add to get 3ppm

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2016, 07:37:28 PM »
If it helps, this is the product I bought: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kleen-Off-500ml-Ammonia/dp/B00755MEMA @ £4.11 plus free delivery. If you're in a hurry you can probably pay a few quid for next day delivery too.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2016, 07:54:49 PM »
Cheers Simon, thats's a great help. I'll make a few calls in the morning to a couple of B&Q stores and Homebase stores in the area... I'm not going on another wild goose chase.

Sue, i'm afraid the closest thing I have is frozen fish, no fresh or frozen prawns, which funnily enough is unusual, I love them! I had no idea the trouble I'd have getting my hands on ammonia!!  :vcross:

Offline Sue

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2016, 08:01:46 PM »
You can still use fish food, if you've bought that yet. A good sized pinch in an ice cream tub sized container would get some ammonia ready in a day or two. Not much, but enough to help the Safe Start bacteria to activate.

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2016, 08:12:42 PM »
I knew I should have bought some today, I looked at loads of the stuff but as I'm a way off getting fish I felt there was no need to get any at the moment.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2016, 09:19:45 PM »
There's so much to do with the first new tank, isn't there. I found it slightly overwhelming and ended up "popping out" for all sorts of bits and pieces quite a lot. As frustrating as it is, taking the time at the beginning is worth it when you eventually get the layout & planting that you want, and see the fish comfortable in their new environment.
 :fishy1:

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2016, 09:03:07 AM »
RESULT! ;D

I've got a bottle reserved in Stirling. My mate recommended me an Aquarium he uses in Stirling as well so on my way to get the tank I'll get the ammonia and do a wee bit window shopping  :D :D

There's so much to do with the first new tank, isn't there. I found it slightly overwhelming and ended up "popping out" for all sorts of bits and pieces quite a lot. As frustrating as it is, taking the time at the beginning is worth it when you eventually get the layout & planting that you want, and see the fish comfortable in their new environment.
 :fishy1:

You're not wrong, Lf! I'm so looking forward to seeing it all up and running and eventually getting my first fishes  ;D

IT'S TANK DAY!!!

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2016, 10:07:48 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Hooray, it's tank day.
 :cheers:

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2016, 01:19:28 PM »
My mate recommended me an Aquarium he uses in Stirling

Great that you have a personally-recommended fish/aquarium shop to go to. If you feel the desire to do any extra window-shopping, for research purposes (ie leave the wallet behind to avoid temptation), it turns out that MA/Fishkeeper Scotland opened a new store in Stirling just last weekend - http://fishkeeperscotland.co.uk/. I find that there are pros and cons for various LFSs, and with some stocking some items and others stocking others, so a browse around the various stores is always helpful.

Good luck for your big day today!

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2016, 09:54:23 PM »
Tank Day complete!

It took a little longer than originally anticipated as my mate needed a hand to move a shed, the reason why he had the van in the first place so I was obliged to help with that. By the time I had the tank home it was close to 2.30pm with my daughter finishing school at 3 so my mate was very helpful and carried on building the filter hoses and running all the electrics through the cabinet. Once everything at the back had been sorted it was a lot of shoving and grunting to get the cabinet with tank on top into the alcove.

I have deliberately left a gap of around a foot at the back of the tank because I don't want to lose the right hand side of the glass to view from. I'm very hapy with the way this tank looks with the curved front edges.

Once in place, the 2cm compost and 3cm gravel substrate was laid down followed by the wood and ornament. Heater was tested for serviceability and the suckers for the heater and filtration tubes cleaned and stuck in place. Then onto filling...

I opted to use a garden hose and simultaneously add buckets of hot water from the tap (combi boiler) and monitor the temperature. I added a full 180 litre dose of Tank Safe dechlorinator to the first bucket, it just seemed more practical and overall more accurate. It's 1ml per 5 litres so if my sums worked right I added 36ml to the bucket. Towards the end I added a few kettles of boiling water.

Once full, I fired up the filter, heater, UV water steriliser (attached to the rear of the cabinet) and air stone. The filter was making some odd noises so I did some fault finding and realised the In/Out tubes to the filter were the wrong way round... Easy mistake to make and my mate and I are both blaming each other for that one! Haha.

The filter still wasn't circulating, however... I came to the conclusion that the system was cavitated with air. I scratched my head for a while before I came up with a solution. The diameter of the filter tube that distributes the water back into the tank (a rigid plastic tube with small holes along the length) was the exact same diameter as garden hose. So I cut a 1 metre length, stuck one end in the filter tube inside the tank and gave it a few good sucks (behave yourselves) and lo and behold, the filter bubbled and blew into life and almost immediately fell silent. It really is a superb piece of kit... Have a look...

The temperature is still fairly low at the minute so I will give the tank a day or so to achieve approx. 28 celcius before adding Tetra Safestart and ammonia. Unless Sue or anyone suggests a better routine to get into the cycle process...

Anyway, heres the result after todays efforts...

Offline BlindDogStanley

• Fishy Member
Re: PaddyC's progress thread. **Tank Installed**
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2016, 10:12:34 PM »
That alcove was built for that cabinet, wow nice fit. The tank is looking good too :). Be patient, I was given bad advice from a local aquatic store that has resulted in a lot of work to keep my fish alive, extra expence and stress on my part. From your thread it appears your doing everything right from my limited experience....enjoy the ride and keep us posted!

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2016, 10:28:42 PM »
Many thanks Blind, I'm chuffed at the way it looks. When I managed to sort out that filter snag I even got a "you're actually pretty clever, eh?" comment from the missus! I nearly fell!

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2016, 10:31:46 PM »
The tank is looking great.   8)

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2016, 10:41:59 PM »
Cheers Littlefish  ;)

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2016, 08:03:32 AM »
Wow, it looks like they built your house around your tank!

It'll look great with plants and fish.  :cheers:

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2016, 08:04:52 AM »
That alcove was built for that cabinet, wow nice fit.

Indeed. Looks good. Well done.

Offline Sue

« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2016, 10:49:47 AM »
That does look good  :)

Since you have the ammonia and Safe Start, add them whenever you want. The temp doesn't need to be at 28 deg C, it's just that the bacteria multiply faster at warmer temps. They'll get started at lower temps, and you'll have already had a day or so head start once the tank reaches the desired temp.

Have you got the mature media yet?

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2016, 11:55:00 AM »
Even though it's not my tank I still find it exciting. Thats a lovely tank btw

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "PaddyC's Peaceful Community"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post May 07, 2014, 02:36:05 PM
by Puffin
4 Replies
Last post May 12, 2014, 10:46:56 PM
by jesnon
2 Replies
Last post June 12, 2014, 12:28:13 PM
by Fiona
8 Replies
Last post July 19, 2014, 12:38:25 PM
by Rich_D
2 Replies
Last post May 26, 2015, 07:28:02 PM
by Thor God Of Thunder
4 Replies
Last post February 10, 2019, 01:46:28 PM
by water watcher
15 Replies
Last post February 03, 2020, 02:51:24 AM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: