PaddyC's Peaceful Community

Author Topic: PaddyC's Peaceful Community  (Read 72880 times) 637 replies

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: PaddyC's progress thread. **Fishless Cycle Day 7**
« Reply #140 on: March 11, 2016, 07:27:17 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I will say first of all that I am not good with plants.

But can someone who is please tell us if the one with red edges to the leaves in Paddy's photos really is an aquatic plant that I don't recognise or if it is a dracena......

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #141 on: March 11, 2016, 07:32:23 PM »
I think it looks like Cordyline Australis...?

Offline Sue

« Reply #142 on: March 11, 2016, 07:37:02 PM »
That's what worries me. Both dracenas and cordylines are not aquatic plants though they are often sold as such. If a plant expert tells us it really is one of those, you need to remove it from the tank and put it in a plant pot.

Quite a few non-aquatic plants are sold in fish shops  :-\

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #143 on: March 11, 2016, 07:41:37 PM »
Well I must say my first plant purchase is working out great so far!!

Offline Sue

« Reply #144 on: March 11, 2016, 07:45:00 PM »
Look at it this way, if it really is one of those, you have got a fairly cheap houseplant  ;D

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #145 on: March 11, 2016, 07:59:28 PM »
Your planting looks good Paddyc, and not too deep - the swords will do excellently with your substrate.  Not sure about the species of plant with the red edges, if the 'stems' are quite thick, I suspect Sue may be right, it may not really grow, just 'survive' in the tank as such, but it won't do any harm to wait and see, alternatively you could take the opportunity to replace it whilst you are fish free - I'd stick with something red, I like this look. 

The swords will indeed grow tall and 'wide' as they relax into their new setting and grow new leaves at shallower angles to the substrate, I think you are in a good place for now though - see what happens, what grows and what doesn't and tweak things as they do, were not talking about plants that will take over the tank in a few weeks time here by any means.  I quite like the look you have especially with the bubble wall as you will find the swords interrupt the upward flow of bubbles and create interesting patterns at the back of your tank; this and a dense lush background of swords will look very nice I'm sure. :)

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #146 on: March 11, 2016, 08:11:40 PM »
Sounds like the plants have a better chance of survival staying in the tank, if our record of keeping house plants/flowers is anything to go by  :rotfl:

The stem of the red-edged plants are not bushy, they just come to a small sort of pointy stick at the bottom, it made them really easy to just poke in and they sat there no problem! I'll see how they develop, if at all. If they die I will definitely want to try and keep some sort of coloured foliage other than green. Might even get a few silk ones...

Thanks for the encouraging words Matt, I agree the bubble curtain does give some nice patterns and they will change with plant growth (that thing is an absolute PIG to get to stay down under the gravel!!)

I like the black background all the more now, I had thought briefly about looking into different ones... But I want the fish and plants to pop out so I reckon I'll stick with black...

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #147 on: March 11, 2016, 08:42:26 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Black is by far the best option, others look good in shops only for some stupid reason imo.

The more you describe those plants the more I'm with Sue but as previous, you don't need to panic right now, perhaps take the view of wait to see when something catches your eyes in the shops.  There are two fantastic videos on YouTube by MassAquariums both entitled 5 aquarium plants for beginners (10 in total!) that give a nice introduction to things if you want - well worth a watch imo - he will get much faster growth with his set up than you should expect though!

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #148 on: March 11, 2016, 09:50:42 PM »
That lad at Mass Aquariums has some serious dedication! Thanks for the heads up, I am now a subscriber! Just from watching those two videos I want some water sprite since apparently it sucks up nitrates, and the Bacopa plants look amazing IMO, I can see why so many plastic plants are modelled on them!

Do you recommend buying some tools for looking after the aquascaping? I have seen the post about the tweezer set, I might invest, but also think it would be better to have a dedicated pair of trimers/scissors since I don't fancy using the kitchen ones we use to cut chicken with...  :o

I wanted to show off another wee pic taken on the Bridge camera since the phone ones came over a bit over-exposed...

Sidenote... I should really remove the spray tube and clean it out. That blob you see is from the previous owner. In the 8 days since I started the tank up that tube has slowly but surely cleared but those last few bits need to go...

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #149 on: March 11, 2016, 09:52:05 PM »
I have to say I think Sue's right that isn't an aquatic plant.

It happened to me too when I was buying for the kids tank.

It really annoys me that these are sold as aquatic plants when all they'll do is slowly die when submerged.

The one I bought melted quite quickly and made a right mess
I Googled it and realised I'd been sold a Hypoestes, commonly called the polka dot plant,
I took it back and complained and they exchanged it for some true aquatic plants.

The problem with red aquatic plants is that they often need high light in order to remain red.
And then, in high light situations, you tend to need to inject COČ.

I have a plant in my tank, green with red edges and it's doing really well. I don't know the name but it's one of our favourites.
I'll try and get a photo over the weekend and then someone might be able to help identify it.

Do you recommend buying some tools for looking after the aquascaping? I have seen the post about the tweezer set, I might invest, but also think it would be better to have a dedicated pair of trimers/scissors

Take a look at this set of long tweezers, curved tweezers and curved scissors.

That last photo on the bridge camera looks great! :cheers:

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #150 on: March 11, 2016, 10:14:07 PM »
The problem with red aquatic plants is that they often need high light in order to remain red.
And then, in high light situations, you tend to need to inject COČ.

I have a plant in my tank, green with red edges and it's doing really well. I don't know the name but it's one of our favourites.
I'll try and get a photo over the weekend and then someone might be able to help identify it.

Do you recommend buying some tools for looking after the aquascaping? I have seen the post about the tweezer set, I might invest, but also think it would be better to have a dedicated pair of trimers/scissors

Take a look at this set of long tweezers, curved tweezers and curved scissors.

That last photo on the bridge camera looks great! :cheers:

Cheers Simon, :cheers:

I'm finding it a challenge to get decent pics of the Aquarium. That tweezer/scissor set looks right up my street, the stainless steel design looks superb, nice and easy to keep sterile for the tank too  8)

If the plant I bought today starts to go downhill I'll whip it out and like I said maybe add some colourful silk plants so there is always a splash of colour. I already have a few plants added to my wish list for the future thanks to Matt  ;)

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #151 on: March 12, 2016, 11:26:15 AM »
The tank looks really nice Paddy  :) :) I've had a good look at that red leafed plant its definitely not a cordyline, it could be a dracena. Don't feel to bad about it btw, I did the same thing when I started  ;D The plant is growing on the kitchen windowsill now. There are actually quite a few terrestrial plants sold in the aquarium trade, I always ask if I'm not sure.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #152 on: March 12, 2016, 06:51:50 PM »
The most useful site for plants is probably :

http://tropica.com/en/plants/

Look at the easy ones, you won't go wrong with them. It's worth checking any plant you are thinking of buying with this site. 

As a floating plant I've found Amazonian Frogbit much more successful in the long run than Water Sprite. All floating plants are good at using nitrates because their growth isn't slowed by lack of carbon dioxide since they can get enough from the air. As with gardens, the best looking aquaria are those with a relatively small range of plants, each in a group, rather than small numbers of many different species, which always looks like a dog's dinner.

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #153 on: March 12, 2016, 07:15:11 PM »
... As with gardens, the best looking aquaria are those with a relatively small range of plants, each in a group, rather than small numbers of many different species, which always looks like a dog's dinner.

Oops.

But then I quite like my dog's dinner Jungle.  :rotfl:

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline BlindDogStanley

• Fishy Member
« Reply #154 on: March 12, 2016, 08:14:07 PM »
Your jungle is fantastic. I'm limited by space, When...and a big IF I have a 180 litre tank I will a) do the cycle properly b) ignore the advice of my LFS c) plan my plants d) introduce fish slowly and most of all keep you all informed. In the mean time I've found a LFS that give sound advice  :)  :fishy1: :fishy1: :fishy1: :) eight miles away but worth the trip  8).

Offline Sue

« Reply #155 on: March 12, 2016, 08:58:49 PM »
Only 8 miles! My favourite shop is 18 miles away  ;D

Offline BlindDogStanley

• Fishy Member
« Reply #156 on: March 12, 2016, 09:17:53 PM »
Jungles are fine.... ;) I was there today and when I mentioned nerite snail he said they're likely to suffer if still cycling so hold back :)..sound advice is like gold dust,  Sue ? :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #157 on: March 12, 2016, 09:22:56 PM »
Definitely. They didn't sell you something knowing it would die which a lot of shops would have done. Well worth going back there.

Offline BlindDogStanley

• Fishy Member
« Reply #158 on: March 12, 2016, 09:37:45 PM »
Yep, I've finally found a decent fs I'm happy to recommend :)

Offline apache6467

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Catfish Enthusiast
« Reply #159 on: March 12, 2016, 10:14:55 PM »
Just got my new tank before birthday. How do you change the name of a topic?

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "PaddyC's Peaceful Community"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post May 07, 2014, 02:36:05 PM
by Puffin
4 Replies
Last post May 12, 2014, 10:46:56 PM
by jesnon
2 Replies
Last post June 12, 2014, 12:28:13 PM
by Fiona
8 Replies
Last post July 19, 2014, 12:38:25 PM
by Rich_D
2 Replies
Last post May 26, 2015, 07:28:02 PM
by Thor God Of Thunder
4 Replies
Last post February 10, 2019, 01:46:28 PM
by water watcher
15 Replies
Last post February 03, 2020, 02:51:24 AM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: