New Fish!

Author Topic: New fish!  (Read 7141 times) 10 replies

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
New fish!
« on: November 17, 2012, 07:17:36 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
We went shopping this afternoon, and as we had to pass the garden centre that has a Maidenhead Aquatics inside, we called in. There are a few fish on my list entitled 'fish I will get if ever I see them', and they had a fish on the list.
The chap said a few of them had a missing eye (he reckoned it was the dwarf chain loaches in the same tank though mine have never attacked any of my fish) so he'd try and not give me one of those. He checked the 6 in the bag, realised he'd caught a one-eyed fish, so rather than try and take it out, he caught another and gave me the one-eyed fish free.

Here they are, still in the bag acclimating.

Danio tinwini.

Ignore the two endler fry sneaking in the photo on the left  ;D

I've only had them a couple of hours, so I can't be sure but I think the three you can see best are females. They are quite big and have paler spots than the other four, which are quite slim. So I think I have 3 females, 4 males (including one-eye).
Once they've settled in I'll be able to tell better. They are currently swimming in a huddle behind a plant, typical for new fish. That's why I took the photo while they were still in the bag  ;D

Offline Ironside

Re: New fish!
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 08:53:31 PM »
stunning fish sue, they are class

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (6) - Cardinal Tetra (12) - Glass Bloodfin (6) - Penguin Tetra (6) - Blue Tetra (6) - Ember Tetra (20) - Black Neon Tetra (8) - Rummy Nose Tetra (8) - Marbled Hatchetfish (8) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) - Emperor Tetra (6) - Ram / Butterfly Cichlid (1) - Japonica Shrimp (1) - Slender Harlequin (8) - Lemon Tetra (8) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline brecon

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 09:06:50 PM »
Hi Sue

What stunners, hope you manage to find all the fish on your wish list!! Just gone a shade of green!

Offline Chucklett

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 10:51:47 PM »
Gorgeous little fish Sue  :)

Are they really as yellow as they look in the photo?

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 01:06:12 PM »
Looking for more yellow fish?  ;D

They are more gold than yellow, but depending on how the light catches them they can look yellowy gold. One common name is gold ring danio. The males have more vivid spots on their fins than the females, and some of the males have very thin orange line round the fin edges.
Fishbase doesn't have much info on them at all, merely that males reach 2.2cm standard length and females 2.5cm SL (that's the length without the tail fin). Seriously fish has more: 20 to 30mm adult size, pH 6.5 to 7.5, hardness 18 to 90ppm (GH 1 to 5 germano ).

I'm still deciding how I'll enter them in the new CC. They aren't in there; Peter can't be expected to have every fish in the aquarium trade in his database, so I'll have to substitute something else. Maybe Danio choprae (though the database spells it choprai) and enter 5 as they are bigger than tinwinis.

Offline Chucklett

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 03:58:23 PM »
I never did find yellow fish. The nearest I found are the Forktail Rainbows. Which are indeed gorgeous but arent really yellow - they have a yellow lining to their fins and tails.

Your guys are beautiful. And gold is even better than yellow! Im always on the lookout for black & gold fish, being my county colours  ;D I googled these guys as soon as I saw your photo. I saw they dont grow very big and I also read about the hardness. Of course, you know exactly what that means to me  :-[ 
I find it interesting how you describe their colours - Ive found with my neon green rasboras that they are so small you can barely see they're meant to be green, never mind neon! Occasionally when they're swimming around they catch the light just right and you get a flash of neon green - this is nothing like how they looked in the shop. They really were neon green in the shop. Like cardinals are neon blue, the rasboras were neon green. Makes me question my lights. Hmmmmm....... I wonder how they would look under LEDs  ;D

As tempting as it would be to get some tinwinis if I saw any, I have to say that Im totally loving my loaches. I want another dozen cardinals then however many more loaches the CC says I can have!

Hope your lovely new fish have settled in  ;)

Offline Natalia

• Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 08:49:55 PM »
Hi Sue,
I could not resist posting...
Marvellous fish! I have a school of them living with me for quite a long time now. They are more golden than yellow, I agree. Mine live together with Burmese Rosy Loaches (the ones which still have no proper scientific name and often are sold under fictitious name Tuberoschistura arakanensis or – arguably more suitable name of Yunnanilus sp.) and with a group of Caridina Tumida and Venusta. All are doing great and get on well. To my experience, Tinwinis are very long lived – I did not have any problem with them ever. All of these fish/shrimps are enjoying the same conditions and I have my “Burmese” tank (I do like to arrange my aquariums geographically!). Arguably, the Tumida/Venusta shrimps are currently being wild caught in Southern China, but their habitat is reportedly much wider...
Chucklett,
If you want yellow fish, you could look at Pseudomungil Gertrudae. They are surprisingly yellow. I have a few in my husband’s aquarium – all females and they are rather yellow. Here’s the link to You Tube(not mine, somebody else’s aquarium): #Invalid YouTube Link include https#
I also have cute little Microdevario Kubotai in my husband’s tank and they look superb. The tank has DayLight fluorescent tube supplemented with “part time” additional white LED light. The spectrum of your light will show off or “mute” certain colours. To my opinion, the closer the light is to natural light, the more vivid and true the colours are (fish and plants). Those light tubes allegedly “better for plants” (with pink or even purple tint to them – higher “colour temperature”) never work for me... nor they make any difference to my plants in comparison with the light between 6000 to 7000 Kelvin...
I also have Lake Tebera Rainbows in my main tank and true to their nature of rainbowfish, they change their colours from yellow through to orange, than red, than almost black – depending on their mood... I suspect mine have been hybridized as their yellow is not that bright but their orange stage compensates for that! I am not going to breed them and spread hybrids anyway, so I love them as they are...

Offline Chucklett

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 10:00:35 PM »
Hey Natalia, great to hear from you  :) I hope things are getting better your end.

Lighting! Do you remember the infamous thread on the old forum? Poor SteveS tried his hardest time and time again to help me understand kelvins and colour temperatures and spectrums and different this and that, but all to no avail  :-[ All I know is that both my tanks have two T8 strips - one for plants and one for fish. And I want to change the lot to LEDs! And I will do, one day.

Thanks for the link you gave - they are lovely little fish (and indeed very yellow!) but the weirdest thing is that I researched these guys at the time. When you google "pseudomugil gertrudae" and click on images, there seems to be quite a variant of pictures. I gave up researching as my LFS didnt have any anyway!
The Microdevario Kubotai that you mention - microrasboras - are the neon green rasboras I mentioned. The fact that your husbands look superb tells me that my lights are not doing them justice. They sure did look superb in the shop - thats why I wanted them!
My Threadfin Rainbowfish look amazing when the sun catches them. Also when they're swimming and the tank light catches them just right. Im now wondering if they should sparkle all the time.
Bring on those LEDs!!!!!!!! ............. *sigh*  :-\

All the best to you and yours and your mum  ;)

Offline Natalia

• Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 10:39:36 PM »
Hi Chucklett,
I meant to say thank you to your and Murf’s posts some time ago – when I mentioned my problems. I am not quite out of the “danger zone” (one thing comes after another!) but I am trying to get back to normal. Yes, I understood that your neon Green Rasboras were Microdevario Kubotai – the same fish. I remember that old post when SteveS tried to explain Kelvins and such... One word of “worry” from my side – do not rush with the full LED “thingy” as yet when you have plants. I have read tons about it and so far I personally would not be in a hurry to use only LED’s for plants. I am waiting for the LED technology to progress... T5’s are the light of choice at the moment.  Combination of the two – fluorescent and LED – works fine (my husband’s tank proves it). This tank has exactly one T8 and an LED strip. This combination works really well – a little bit of shimmer effect, natural colours and the plants are doing great.  I know the Kelvins are confusing...  Everything which says “daylight” is good, to my opinion. I am not sure about “advertising” of some Companies on the Forum but if you want, I can PM you the details of an online retailer you can buy your bulbs from – much cheaper than branded aquarium bulbs, they do the job just fine...
I was surprised how much yellow Pseudomugil Gertrudae are – with just daylight bulbs they look superb.
I know we got somewhat aside the initial topic of Danios Tinwinis... Sorry, Sue... I would like to repeat though – they are an absolutely delightful fish.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 01:11:01 PM »
Hi,

Continuing the lighting aside - sorry Sue...

Chucklett, in brief and very simple terms, blue light makes fish look more vibrant and plants tend to prefer red light, though more importantly they like lots of it. This can be compared to radio stations, with blue and red at opposite ends of the dial and plants liking it loud! Plants will do better with any station as long as it is loud and isn't totally blue. How much they like red stations over blue is a matter for debate. White is made up of both blue and red (can think of it as being in the middle of the dial). LEDs tend to have quite a narrow bandwidth - less of each of blue and red, which is why they're not considered so good for plants (less red and less loud).

Terms used for lighting: cool means it has more blue. Warm has more red.

I try to set my two tubes up so the warmer one is at the back (along with red LEDS) and the cooler one is at the front so my cardinal tetras look nice and bright. (Hagen have names for the different colours that confuses me, so I may not have the tubes that way around after I've thrown the boxes away!)

Hope that's a simple enough explanation that doesn't start another long conversation!  ;)

Offline Chucklett

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 07:05:39 PM »
Sorry Sue!   :-[ 

I vowed not to let it happen again, but lighting seems to be rearing its head again! 

Helen, Natalia - I've started a new thread (equipment) to reply. I dont want to hijack Sues lovely fish photos!   :-\   

Natalia - It never rains but it pours. I sure hope things start looking up for you very soon. Stay strong  ;)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "New fish!"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post November 11, 2013, 02:52:18 PM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post November 20, 2013, 10:28:05 AM
by polkadotpuffer
3 Replies
Last post December 09, 2013, 01:06:33 PM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post January 19, 2014, 09:32:57 PM
by Sue
8 Replies
Last post February 06, 2014, 08:28:33 PM
by D1976p
4 Replies
Last post July 16, 2017, 07:57:16 PM
by TrenchyLs
14 Replies
Last post November 07, 2019, 08:11:52 PM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: