Author Topic: My new endlers!  (Read 23064 times) 87 replies

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: My new endlers!
« Reply #60 on: May 17, 2013, 05:05:14 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
From a thread in the non-fishkeeping section:
One of my endler barbs has changed colour slightly! I was in work so hadnt seen him for two days, and when I got home I discovered that he's become more black and his fin has become more patterned. Is that normal!? He's behaving normally.

Also one of my LFS posted some pics of their endlers... very temptes to nip in for one to bring up my numbers again as they looked very cute!

I'm not sure about colour changing.
Male fry look like female fry at first. They are grey and do not have a gonopodium. As they reach puberty, traces of colour begin to show and the anal fin changes shape. It does take a few weeks for them to develop full adult colouring. It is possible that you have a slow develping male, but it could also be a sign of something more sinister. I'm afraid only time will tell.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2013, 05:11:41 PM »
Hi Jesnon. Not having Endlers might mean I'm talking rubbish (*gasp*  "Nooo" I hear you all shout  ;D) but my Guppies have slowly changed colour as they've got older, getting darker and the snakeskin types getting more, errr, snakeskinny. They're also a bit 'washed-out' in the morning just after the lights come on and get better colouration as the day progresses.

I think you work 'odd times' and long shifts etc so you could be seeing them at different times of the day one week to the next so you might just be seeing this effect.

Mainly, though, I wanted to reassure you after Sue said  ...but it could also be a sign of something more sinister....., which, in itself, was quite sinister!! ;D

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline jesnon

« Reply #62 on: May 17, 2013, 06:56:52 PM »
Thanks for both your replies! Yes I'm afraid I havent been home much and at some odd times over the last few days (i was in work for 38 hours, then home to sleep and back work again today!) So it may just be lighting etc. He seemed happy enough, though Madge became blacker before she died so I'm hoping this isn't anything to worry about. I had a quick google earlier and I saw some people saying guppies change colours as they get older so I'm hoping this is simply Whats going on :/ I'll have a look when I'm home

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #63 on: May 17, 2013, 07:18:33 PM »
I didn't mean to scare you  :o  My husband was standing over me making comments about dinner so I typed that quickly without thinking how it might sound  :-[

Offline jesnon

« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2013, 08:06:12 PM »
Aww don't worry Sue! No I was concerned anyway since it seemed quite a dramatic colour change and the same thing happened to Madge, however looking at him now he doesn't seem much different colour-wise :-S Strange right? He looks happy so maybe it really is a lighting thing!? His fin does seem darker still

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -

Offline jesnon

« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2013, 08:09:48 PM »
I never got around to uploading this 'summary' of my fish!

It's a little big on here!  ???

Bob is the one who changed colour   :o

Offline jesnon

« Reply #66 on: May 23, 2013, 06:42:14 PM »
Just thought I'd post a quick update. I bought my new endler today and he's very pretty! He's got a green tail like the one in the pic and some blue. They had some fantastic endlers in, some like leopard patterns with dark faces i was tempted by. I'll try and get a photo soon, hes happily settled with the others now

Offline Resa

« Reply #67 on: May 23, 2013, 11:37:38 PM »
Hi Jesnon,

He sounds gorgeous! ;)  I can't wait to see your pics when you get them!

Resa
  :)

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline jesnon

« Reply #68 on: May 24, 2013, 11:57:16 AM »
He really is, so many lovely colours depending on how the light catches him. I saw my first shrimp 'shell' earlier too!

Very blurry but he's very speedy! The shop assistant had a bit of a task catching him when I picked him but I was impressed he did. You cant see the green on his tail too well either

Offline Resa

« Reply #69 on: May 24, 2013, 12:06:39 PM »
Ooo...very pretty :)

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline jesnon

« Reply #70 on: May 24, 2013, 12:56:56 PM »
Here's a better one though still can't see his green tail

Offline jesnon

« Reply #71 on: May 24, 2013, 02:01:23 PM »
F

Offline ColinB

« Reply #72 on: May 25, 2013, 09:33:16 AM »
Good lookin' fish!

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline jesnon

« Reply #73 on: May 30, 2013, 05:07:20 PM »
So I spent a while during a water change adding in the news plants and trying to get the tank look OK. Then when I turned the tank back on.... the filter wasn't working again! Eventually I managed to fix it again, I think maybe it was turned off for a little too long or something?

Anyway here's some pictures:

Not really sure if I like it yet... it's very er... busy!

Offline jesnon

« Reply #74 on: May 30, 2013, 06:33:18 PM »
So far the shrimps are loving hiding in the new java fern and the fish are loving swimming in the New plant at tge front... so a thumbs up from my inhabitants!

Offline Sue

« Reply #75 on: May 30, 2013, 07:44:43 PM »
the filter wasn't working again!

Have I mentioned flicking the impeller? That's what I had to do with my Hagen Trio filter, and the Edge is made by Hagen. I had to take the pump off the filter, flick the impeller then once it was going try to get the pump back on the filter while keeping it under water. And keeping the outflow pointing downwards.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #76 on: May 30, 2013, 07:56:15 PM »
Ooh thanks for that Sue! in the end I had to basically wobble the pump side to side until it created enough flow to get going again - must confess I have no idea how it worked ha

Offline Sue

« Reply #77 on: May 31, 2013, 08:24:05 AM »
I've just loooked at the Edge's instruction manual and I'm not sure you could do what I did. It has a HOB filter by the looks if it, and the pump isn't under water and it should never run with no water in it. My filter was a submerged internal, I had to hold the pump under water to start it then carefull lift it into place without ever lifting it out.

But having finally looked at the manual for your tank, it could well be air caught in the pump that caused your problem. And like with externals the way to start it, or stop it being very noisy, after a water change is to do exactly what you did - tilt the filter side to side.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #78 on: May 31, 2013, 10:42:02 AM »
Ooh brilliant thanks Sue , I guess that explains how it worked ha!

Offline ColinB

« Reply #79 on: May 31, 2013, 11:57:51 AM »
So far the shrimps are loving hiding in the new java fern and the fish are loving swimming in the New plant at tge front... so a thumbs up from my inhabitants!

That's what matters.... Happy Fish = Happy Fishkeeper.   :)

In my humble opinion, of course  ;)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "My new endlers!"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
2 Replies
Last post August 14, 2013, 05:51:02 PM
by Cinders
11 Replies
Last post September 07, 2013, 04:52:11 PM
by jesnon
13 Replies
Last post October 08, 2014, 03:15:46 PM
by Fiona
2 Replies
Last post March 17, 2015, 11:20:09 PM
by Fiona
1 Replies
Last post June 04, 2016, 09:19:49 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: