My New Endlers!

Author Topic: My new endlers!  (Read 23052 times) 87 replies

Offline ColinB

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: My new endlers!
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2013, 12:46:40 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hehe. A few years ago she threw up all over the TV remote. :P That really wasn't pleasent!!!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Resa

« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2013, 12:53:31 PM »
I bet suddenly, the remote became Mrs. B's domain ;D

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline jesnon

« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2013, 01:22:45 PM »
I should say I have finally named all of my fishies! I went with Colin's suggestion of a theme and named them all after the characters in Red Dwarf (this may go over a lot of people's heads!).

Also I caught my two blues the other day (normally the victims of bullying) doing some bullying of their own! My peacock endler is a bit of a loner, and he seems a little sad that I removed the old heater (his favourite thing to nibble on during the day!). I'm a little paranoid about him as he's always on his own but think they are all happy and healthy!

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2013, 01:32:07 PM »
So you have Lister, Rimmer, Kryten, Holly, Cat - what else? Hilly and Kochanski were girls........

Well, strictly speaking Holly and Hilly were the computer, so they were 'its'

Offline jesnon

« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2013, 02:02:50 PM »
Haha I had to resort to the scutters for my endler barbs and peacock (though did briefly consider Kochanski and Ace). Apparently one was called Bob and had a wife called Madge (so yep, one of my endlers has a girl's name!) and the smallest endler barb is just simply called scutter (it suits him quite well actually as he's always frantically swimming about!). I even at one point considered Toastie (the toaster haha)

So I have:

Two Japanese Blue endlers called Holly & Kryten
The three 'green' endlers (I think you said they were tigers) are Rimmer, Lister and Cat
And then the smallest endler barb is scutter, the biggest endler barb is Bob and the peacock endler barb is Madge (poor thing!). I really like scutter as a name as it suits him, the other two aren't great though ha

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -

Offline ColinB

« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2013, 03:32:58 PM »
I should say I have finally named all of my fishies! I went with Colin's suggestion of a theme and named them all after the characters in Red Dwarf (this may go over a lot of people's heads!).

Good choices, Jesnon.  It didn't go over my head either - 'The Squid of Despair' was one of the best shows ever!

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline jesnon

« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2013, 03:50:04 PM »
Haha glad it didn't confuse everyone!

Offline jesnon

« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2013, 08:56:01 PM »
So last night whilst one of my fish was 'sleeping' I managed to get a few decent photos. Here's Bob!

Offline Resa

« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2013, 10:12:17 PM »
He's lovely, Jesnon :D

Resa
  :)

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline ColinB

« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2013, 07:27:54 AM »
Hey.... good photo. Nice depth-of-field :)

Offline jesnon

« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2013, 10:17:42 AM »
This was actually taken on my mobile, oddly I seem to get better results from that than my good camera! Thanks guys, I've upload a few more later :-)

Offline jesnon

« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2013, 05:00:26 PM »
Hmm actually the others didn't come out too good actually seeing them on my laptop. I think the photo of Bob doesn't quite do him justice as well - his colours look a little more grey on here, whereas in real life he's got a really pretty blue sheen to him :-)

My Japanese blues Kryten and Holly are probably the most intruiging to look at. Their colours change depending on the angles and light - sometimes they're almost a greyish beige, then when the light hits them right they're real blue shines, and on their tails and fins they've developed a pinky tint. From some angles they also have a bit of green mixed in.

My tiger endlers, or as MA called them 'green endlers' are bright yellow, with hints of blue.

Oddly the other barb endler aside from Bob is the smallest of my endlers whilst Bob is the biggest, he's a tiny little thing called Scutter who's probably more active than all of them combined!

Offline jesnon

« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2013, 05:38:01 PM »
Right here's an attempt with my proper camera

Here's pretty much all my fishies:

Scutter & Holly / Kryten, hard to tell:

Kryten & Rimmer

Kryten, Holly & Scutter

Cat & Kryten

Offline jesnon

« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2013, 05:50:23 PM »
A question for Sue - in the last picture you can see Cat one of my 'green' endlers. As you can see his tail is quite different from the others... I was thinking about this the other day and pondered whether that meant he was actually a she!? But due to his bright colours I've always assumed it was just a variation!

Offline Sue

« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2013, 07:16:05 PM »
It's just variation. The one with a lot of black on its body is typical tiger endler. The ones with just a black spot look to have a bit more snakeskin guppy in them.
Female endlers are plain grey-beige, not even a hint of colour except for the black gravid spot. That's what mine look like and I know they are endler-guppy hybrids as they are bred from known hybrids and shop bought endlers which are always hybrids. Female guppies tend to have colour on just their tails - or they did last time I had any, maybe someone's bred more colourful ones in recent years.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2013, 07:38:10 PM »
Well that's good - I don't want an overpopulated tank!

Offline Sue

« Reply #56 on: May 01, 2013, 07:50:35 PM »
It's very easy to tell the sex with livebearers. Look at the anal fin - that's the one on the underside just in front of the tail. In a female it is the usual triangular fan shape. With males it has been modified into a gonopodium, which is rod shaped rather than fan shaped and he uses it to impregnate females. The only time it's hard to sex livebearers is when they are fry. All fry look female until the males' anal fins change shape at puberty.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2013, 11:45:24 AM »
Thanks for that Sue :-) I'm pretty sure I've got all males then luckily!

Couple more photos:

OK I think I'm done now :-P I'm sure you guys have seen enough of my fish!

Offline Sue

« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2013, 12:29:38 PM »
Pics of fish are always good  ;D

In the last photo, the fish in the centre (the one that has a smallish black spot and the rest of him looks a bit snakeskin-guppy-ish) - errrr.... how do I put this delicately :-\   Look at his gonopodium. The photo shows very nicely how he can move it forward to.... errrr.... do what males do  ;D

Offline jesnon

« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2013, 02:04:23 PM »
Haha ahhh I see! I'm not too well educated on the *ahem* bits and pieces of fishes! :-D

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "My new endlers!"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
2 Replies
Last post August 14, 2013, 05:51:02 PM
by Cinders
11 Replies
Last post September 07, 2013, 04:52:11 PM
by jesnon
13 Replies
Last post October 08, 2014, 03:15:46 PM
by Fiona
2 Replies
Last post March 17, 2015, 11:20:09 PM
by Fiona
1 Replies
Last post June 04, 2016, 09:19:49 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: