My 4 Foot Cheap Tank (and It's Many Transformations)

Author Topic: My 4 Foot Cheap Tank (and it's many transformations)  (Read 4607 times) 6 replies

Offline Stuart

• Fishy Member
My 4 Foot Cheap Tank (and it's many transformations)
« on: March 28, 2013, 11:05:15 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I picked this up for nothing from a website called "Freecycle". It hadn't been used for some time and I wasn't crazy about the trim and cabinet colour.

Offline Stuart

• Fishy Member
Re: My 4 Foot Cheap Tank (and it's many transformations)
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 11:27:22 AM »
It cleaned up really well and the new trim & cabinet colour make it look much nicer. The trim is actually pieces of, cut up, laminate flooring.

I am by no means the worlds best D.I.Yer but everything to did with this tank seemed to go smoothly. The flooring panels were loose so were cheap. I brought 1 light, starter unit from a guy off e-bay but 2 arrived. By the time he replied to my emails he had been slated by the guy that should have got the other one so he told me to keep it.

Offline Stuart

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 11:32:35 AM »
My first layout changed quite a bit before adding my first fish. I ended up with a large arrangement of rocks in the middle of the tank with lots of hide aways for the fish (which were predominantly Cichlids). And long stemmed and leafed plants at each end for my Angels.

Offline Stuart

• Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 11:41:56 AM »
As my Cichlids started growing things got a little heated and after trying and failing several things to keep the peace I ended up trading them all for a couple of Large Red Severums. These had been in and out of the fish shop several times as they wouldn't get along with any other fish, so I had no idea how old they were when I got them.

Although they laid eggs numorous times and fertilized them a few times they always ended up eating them. These 2 fish had a massive impact on my bio load and I started having to do large water changes twice a week to try and keep the Nitrate down. The fact that they ate every plant I put in there didn't help.

Offline Stuart

• Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 11:48:08 AM »
After they both died :'(  I went for a nice easy community tank. Now I am slowly changing that over to a Discus tank. I have found homes for my breeding pair of Kribs and their many, many offspring. The Keyholes, Angels and Bristlenosed Plec. All I have now are some Tetras, Threadfins, Guppies and a Horsefaced Loach.

More pics to follow soon.

Stuart.

Offline ColinB

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 09:18:58 AM »
You did a really good job with that tank. Great idea about the laminate flooring - inspired :)

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Stuart

• Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 09:18:06 PM »
This is the latest setup. I did paint the background Blue but I thought Black would be better, I'm glad I did.

The filter pipes no longer stand out although the wood in the right, back corner hides most of the down pipe and surface skimmer. The water is heated by an external inline heater. My next step is to buy one of them thermometers which just dangle a wire into the water.

The surface plants are a real success. They filled a Chinese takeaway tub a few weeks ago, now they cover half my tank and my son says it makes the wood on the right hand side look like trees. The plant on the left (in the miniature goldfish bowl) will go before I get my discus.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "My 4 Foot Cheap Tank (and it's many transformations)"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
0 Replies
Last post December 11, 2012, 06:26:01 PM
by maz1
5 Replies
Last post December 16, 2012, 10:04:20 AM
by maz1
Our Tank

Started by pmalipha Gallery Showcase

1 Replies
Last post February 16, 2013, 04:58:24 PM
by ColinB
10 Replies
Last post March 13, 2014, 09:11:41 PM
by daniel_james_taylor
2 Replies
Last post November 29, 2014, 08:49:32 AM
by Richard W
32 Replies
Last post November 08, 2015, 07:32:38 PM
by Cod_only_knows
12 Replies
Last post April 02, 2016, 11:38:58 PM
by Fiona

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: